Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't anyone tell me it was going to be this hard?

I appreciate the positive threads but my journey thus far has been pretty bad. I'm 3 days post-opp and trying to hold on to the belief that I won't regret this down the road but today has been hard. I can't relate to those that say they had little pain and didn't feel hungry. I'm hungry, chicken broth makes me gag and so do the Protein Shakes. Am I alone?

No you aren't. I'm 4 days out from gastric bypass and just miserable. Nauseated, dizzy, pain. Not to mention gas times a million and bloated. Having trouble drinking, haven't even tried to eat yet...

I read on one of my packets that sometimes the patient get a little emotional or depressed after surgery, but it passed.. I sure hope so cause I'm feeling rough. Also found out I can't tolerate dairy... The hard way. So now my shakes with soy milk. Yum..

I had a lot of pain for a week then it gradually subsided. Hang in there, it will get better. I am about 10 months out now and have occassional twinges in my ribs but it's not bad and i wouldn't go back if i could.

Hang in there! The first few days are rough but it gets better each day! I am two weeks post op now and I am doing really well. I am so happy that I had the surgery! The first week is definitely the hardest.

I appreciate the positive threads but my journey thus far has been pretty bad. I'm 3 days post-opp and trying to hold on to the belief that I won't regret this down the road but today has been hard. I can't relate to those that say they had little pain and didn't feel hungry. I'm hungry, chicken broth makes me gag and so do the Protein Shakes. Am I alone?

I am 1week 2 days post op. I too had pain, however, it is so much better now. I am however HUNGRY! Wth? I too am confused. The nurse just said try to "eat" 5 times a day... The Protein shakes make me gag as well, therefor hurts my stomach. Also, it's a little depressing - especially the hunger!!

I am 5 weeks out after gastric sleeve surgery. I can honestly say, I was very afraid after surgery because I couldn't hold down anything. I was regretting my decision and realizing I couldn't take it back. But now.....I feel so much better! I have energy, can hold food down and am so excited for this journey. So my answer to you is Yes, the horrible feeling you have will pass. The first 3 weeks were tough but each day gets better :)

I am 1 month post-op today. The first week was hard especially the first 4/5 days. It DOES get better. I have no regrets. I feel good, I am working out now and trying to get my energy level up since I gave up caffeine pre-op. I was discharged on full liquids +yogurt but the Protein Shakes and yogurt were too thick so I had to seriously Water them down. Hang in there.

Most people have a pretty rough time the first week, I know I did. When we are pre-op and we're reading the posts, we tend to focus on those that say they had no pain and no hunger etc because we are so hopeful and so eager to be that person who has NO ISSUES after surgery. In the perfect world...that would be us. Here in the real world...surgery is serious and it hurts to be cut on so the thought of having painless easy surgery is a bit unrealistic. Just do the best you can the first couple of weeks, exercise as much as you are able and drink and eat as much as you can tolerate and everything will fall into place. That difficult part is so temporary but the weight loss is forever life changing. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Most people have a pretty rough time the first week, I know I did. When we are pre-op and we're reading the posts, we tend to focus on those that say they had no pain and no hunger etc because we are so hopeful and so eager to be that person who has NO ISSUES after surgery. In the perfect world...that would be us. Here in the real world...surgery is serious and it hurts to be cut on so the thought of having painless easy surgery is a bit unrealistic. Just do the best you can the first couple of weeks, exercise as much as you are able and drink and eat as much as you can tolerate and everything will fall into place. That difficult part is so temporary but the weight loss is forever life changing. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Thanks 1Day, I may have been looking through rose-colored glasses pre - op but it would have been nice to see more of us give descriptions of what the early days and weeks were like. Seems like many folks struggled but I didn't see many posts about it. It's like the new mom who forgets about the labor pains while falling in love with her baby. Stories about the early struggles surely would have helped me prepare for this life change. And I've talked to at least 4 vsgers at length and looked at tons of boards. Not one told me that it would be as bad as is been, but maybe I'm on the bad end of the spectrum. I appreciate your candor. I know it will get better, it has to because this is the pits.

Hi,

My first 2 weeks were by far the most difficult. I had a drain which amplified my pain. I lived on percocet during that time. Couldn't stand Protein shakes and don't get me started on the smell of any broth (I still can't stand it). I lived off sugar free jell-o and smoothies. I could barely hold anything down. The trick is finding something that you CAN stand and it will help you through. The hard part is finding what that food/liquid is. It's hard the first couple of weeks to find your footing. I was very honest about my struggles, because I did not have a good first three weeks, and didn't want others who are going through the surgery to think it's a cake walk (although it definitely could be for some). The one sentence I got so tired of reading was "It will get better." I thought I was going rip my eyes out. I am almost two months and I do struggle a bit, but it's definitely getting better each day.

I hope that you feel better soon. You are not alone.

I am 3 days post op as well and you are for sure not alone. My pain seems pretty well managed with my new friend Oxycodone and Tylenol in between. As far as "eating", I am having a hard time getting all my Protein in for sure. I don't have nausea anymore but I have absolutely not desire to eat/drink anything. I am suppose to get 70-80mg Protein a day which would be about 4 shakes a day....yeah right! Yesterday I got in one and today I have managed two. I'm worried about being malnourished and/or dehydrated so that is what I really need to work on for the next few days. I found that when I am sitting in a recliner my shake really does not sit well so I have to sit upright to make sure it goes down OK. I feel like I am CONSTANTLY sipping on those damn shakes, they are getting real old, real quick (between the 2 week pre op diet and now post op....ugh). But anyway, we can do this! Do what works for you, take it slow, and know that everyone is different so try not to compare. If you have true concerns about how you are healing, nausea, etc....call your doctor for their advice. Good Luck!!!!

Day 3,4&5 were the hardest for me. Don't give up, it will get better. Day 18 for me and I feel great!

I am 1 week and 5 days post op and I spent the first 3 days so depressed and crying that I started thinking that I was going to regret my decision. Be patient...read the posts on this site. It will help and you will find that you are never alone and there is always someone that has had a similar situation. Good luck!!

I am now 9 days post op and what made me feel better was when they removed that drain that I had and the staples. I am struggling finding the right things to eat, but doing my best. The first week did kind of suck, but feel much better now. I am trying to focus on Protein and Water, but know I am most certainly not getting enough of either yet. I can see that I will be able to eventually though so I just keep trying. sugar free popsicles are my best friend right now!!

I'm a little over two weeks post-op, and like everyone else responding, the first week was awful for me. I woke in recovery in pain, and I couldn't breathe. That feeling stayed with me for the rest of the week. Once I realized that my chest muscles had been stretched out from the gas, and it was THAT which was making breathing difficult, I applied heating pads, and started to feel better. I struggle with getting Water in, and I have bouts of diarrhea from time to time, but otherwise, surgery is starting to become a distant memory.

And I know we're all saying it, but it is indeed true: hang in there, it WILL get better!