Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi, considering lap band

There was a health fair at a local mall yesterday and it was broadcast on the radio. I caught bits and pieces but it starting me to thinking. When you're overweight all you do is think about losing the weight. HOw the extra weight effects EVERYTHING you do.

I was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Something I have been so aware of. I have a strong family history of diabetes...I don't want it. I'm also headed toward hypertension. My life is a little hectic right now and as a result I eat, which leads to me to where I am.

I weigh 290 pounds, my BMI is 52.2 I've begun to have little strange things happen...I know they are a result of the stress and extra weight and a little thing called age! :rolleyes So I'd like to do something about it.

Lap band was actually suggested to me by a good friend a few weeks ago. I didn't really think about it then. After listening to the broadcast yesterday though...I'm strongly considering it. The risks are what concern me. Flipped ports, painful gas, vomiting, numerous adjustments, weight GAIN....is it worth it...it's like listening to a infomercial for medication that has more side effects than what it's treating!!!!

Just wanted to say hello, intro myself and take a look around and take a peek at success stories and not so success stories.

You definitely have to go with your heart when deciding to go through with weight loss surgery. I was contemplating surgery for 3 years before I finally made my first appointment for a consultation. I had to know for sure that I was doing it for me and not because other people might like me more if I was thinner. I also did as much research as I could about gastric bypass, lap band, and the pros and cons.

I don't believe that there is anything out there that is 100% safe and 100% effective. You have to know within yourself if you are able to take on whatever challenges you may face. You should also be determined to work as hard as you can to limit the not so good outcomes.

Continue to come on the site and read the many different threads. You will learn of the vasts experiences people go through and become familiar with the whole weight loss surgery process. The amount of information I learned on here is far more than any doctor can explain to me.

Whether you decide to or not, you'll always have friends on LBT. Good Luck to you!!!

Welcome and if I can answer any questions for you please feel free to pm me. I have been banded since July 06, lost about 60 pounds or so and have about 40 more to go. I love my band.

Hi,

I was browsing the site and saw you were interested in the Lap Band. I have my appointment on 5/3 to have the procedure done and as the date gets closer I am more and more nervous. I have a friend who had it done in October and she has lost 60 lbs and I am jealous....she is looking good.

I am excited to lose the weight but nervous of what I will have to go through to do it.

It is nice to be able to talk about this with everyone else out there who has had it done or is contimplating getting it done.

Good luck.:nervous

I couldn't pass up wishing you good luck on your decision. The surgeon recommends that I attend a seminar first before I get an appointment. I've already gotten my labs done and everything else is falling in place. Do what's right for you. the start of this journey only leads to another.

I thought about it for a couple years, finally went to a free seminar, had my first consult, and next week I get scoped from both ends. Ewww! I am really hoping for a surgery date in May. I have submitted to insurance but will do it regardless. I love this sight. It's soooo encouraging and full of information. I'm in Tacoma, Washington and Dr Oh will be my surgeon. Anyone from around here?

Diva, I see this as a sign. My sign came to me when I was reading a book abot asking for help in the area of your life you don't have control over or could use the help. Good luck in your journey.

Thank you all for responding and for your support. I sent an email to D1H for a sminar on Saturday...but I have yet to talk to anyone. I will call again tomorrow and I think I will call my insurance company as well...at least I can get that ball rolling too! I am actually looking forward to this journey. I told my 3 closest friends and my hubby that's it. I won't tell my mom until I get an actual date....maynot tell her then....she'll worry herself silly and me too!

I did talk to a girl who had an RNY and was kind of giving me a pep talk yesterday. I don't even know her. I worked with her hubby some years ago. She was a lot of help.

I do have a question...how often, on average, does one have to have fills, the girl I was talking to said the one thing that discouraged her from LB was the having to go in for fills part...just wondering

Diva, I have had 5 fills in 10 months. It really depends on how agressive your surgeon is. Mine starts me out really slowly only added 1cc, then .2, etc. I am at 3ccs now.

I'm scheduled for this saturday's seminar, I am so geeked. I looked at the sticky of before and after pictures! Oh my goodness. So inspiring!:)