Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am doing this to help me become fertile. Anyone else ?

I have an apple shape so my weight is on my belly which according to my doctor has caused my to have PCOS. One of the reason I want to have the lap band is to become fertile. My husband and I both want children. I so am looking forward to becoming a Dance and Pagent mom! Are there any other women on here having the lap band or has had it for this reason?

I'm not doing it just to become fertile, but I learned that was one of the possible benefits so I'm definitely welcoming it. Of course, they say to wait at least a year once you reach your goal weight so your body's not all over the place, so I'm going to try to do that.

If you want to see more about stuff like this, you can actually watch "My 600 lb life: Melissa" streaming on Netflix (http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/videos/my-600-lb-life-where-are-they-now.htm). She started out young and huge, got a weight loss surgery, and she and her husband were finally able to conceive and had a little girl.

BEST WISHES

Lol, not me. But, I do work at a prenatal clinic and have a few pts who have managed to become pregnant after years of trying but only after losing weight. Good luck.

After a little over a year of unsuccessfully trying, lots of tests, etc. my gyn suggested that I needed to reduce my stress and weight. So yes this was one of my top reasons.

Also the added health benefits and positive image helped too. :)

Search up threads on here, I've seen quite a few people become pregnant after wls. I wish you all the best!

That's so cool. I hope it works out for you.

Can I ask why the heck you would get the band? Its a foreign object in your body with a history of many problems. I didn't even know doctors were still doing them. have you thought about a permanent solution like the sleeve? That will help you after the baby is born with weight loss.

Just a thought.

That's so cool. I hope it works out for you. Can I ask why the heck you would get the band? Its a foreign object in your body with a history of many problems. I didn't even know doctors were still doing them. have you thought about a permanent solution like the sleeve? That will help you after the baby is born with weight loss. Just a thought.

Not sure who you were directing that to but here's my take...

Yeah I know some people are freaked out about a foreign object being implanted but I'm more freaked out at the thought of having half my stomach removed. For me and my doctors, our discussions lead to the band being the right choice. There are a lot of documented problems with the sleeve too. I like that the band isn't permanent. If I'm having problems with vomiting or not getting what I need nutrition wise I can have the band adjusted. My ob/gyn doc is supportive of the band too. My surgeon, who performs both the sleeve and the band, was supportive for the band for me and my situation.

Some other reasons why I chose the band was for the negative reinforcement that it gives when you eat too much and I like that it is adjustable. I can always switch to sleeve if I so desire in the future. My BMI was about 36 when I started so that was a contributing factor too. Maybe if I was bigger I would have considered the sleeve a bit more to lose more sooner?!? Not sure

That's so cool. I hope it works out for you.

Can I ask why the heck you would get the band? Its a foreign object in your body with a history of many problems. I didn't even know doctors were still doing them. have you thought about a permanent solution like the sleeve? That will help you after the baby is born with weight loss.

Just a thought.

I can understand the rationale of getting the band. Being a little gun shy about surgery myself, the band is really, really tempting--it promises to help us lose weight with minimal invasiveness, very low up front complications, and no stomach cutting.

Each surgery fits a different need and different demographic of people. All surgeries can have complications and whatnot, and from what I read they all improve in technique and efficacy over time. But I do understand wanting to get the sleeve, because I've been leaning that direction myself (yes, more short term risk but lower long term maintenance and risk).

Unless its to save my life, I would never let any doctor cut off my stomach. The lap band is reversible and the sleeve is not. Because I plan on becoming pregnant than cutting off half my stomach would not be a good idea. But if it works for you God bless. See ya on the slim side!

I have an apple shape so my weight is on my belly which according to my doctor has caused my to have PCOS. One of the reason I want to have the lap band is to become fertile. My husband and I both want children. I so am looking forward to becoming a Dance and Pagent mom! Are there any other women on here having the lap band or has had it for this reason?

Unless its to save my life, I would never let any doctor cut off my stomach. The lap band is reversible and the sleeve is not. Because I plan on becoming pregnant than cutting off half my stomach would not be a good idea. But if it works for you God bless. See ya on the slim side!

Yea i want to have a baby slso thats why i didnt get sleeve got bypass instead didnt want my stomach cut either

Yea i want to have a baby slso thats why i didnt get sleeve got bypass instead didnt want my stomach cut either

You guys are correct about the sleeve not being reversible; however, I don't think it has a negative impact on becoming pregnant (providing you are willing to wait a year after the surgery to stabilize weight):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306797

http://www.marinahospital.com/blog/will-i-be-able-to-get-pregnant-after-gastric-sleeve-surgery

Studies stated, "Barring very uncommon complications of surgery, this should eventually make it easier both to conceive and to carry a child to term with less risk of negative consequences."

I just personally didnt want my stomach cut i know u can have a healthy pregnancy but just had bypass instead which im happy with!!!! Im only 6 month baby will be much later im enjoying my new body right now lol

i can tell you that after losing 75 pounds i am clearly having fertile cycles again. at 48 i was not desiring this, but its means my body is back in hormonal balance again. luckily my H is fixed! lol

Having the sleeve done in 1 week. First and foremost it's for a better healthy future for me. But secondly, we have tried for 6 years to conceive. I look forward to this happening in the future due to the weight loss.