Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Article on CBC News about Mexican WLS

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mexican-weight-loss-surgeries-prompt-call-for-health-warning-1.2560052

I've read about plenty of people having good experiences down there. I don't have any say as I didn't go down there, but thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Medicine is big business. If Mexican surgeries are taking $$$ from these folks that sponsored this study then this study will disparage Mexican surgeries.

Everyone knows that flying to other countries for surgery is a cost savings. The thing that other medical industries scare us into believing is whether it will be a botched surgery because you go there. There is big, Big, BiG, BIG money to be made here and in Canada in the healthcare industries, pharmaceutical industries and insurance companies so why not keep everything here and scare people away from low cost yet effective surgeries in other countries.

I would say to check with other countries reputation just like you do here in the states and in Canada.

I think there is a huge difference between surgeons outside the US. There a lot of great Mexican (or other nationality) surgeons, and then there are ones whose patients have lots of complications. The problem is that it is very hard to get data and compare doctors outside the US. I think that is why so many people rely on referrals from this and other websites.

I had my sleeve surgery in the US with a Center of Excellence (was required by my insurance). However, for my plastics next year I plan on going to Mexico.

I commented on the article on the CBC website. living here in Canada is a different situation. There are not a lot of Weight loss surgeons here. Waiting lists are long and the support is not so good. I waited 4 years before I was finally next on the list....

Then there is the reality of the rise in obesity everywhere. I felt like I had to tell them the reasons why some Canadians go other places and are willing to pay out of pocket. A person could die waiting 4 years for this life saving operation!

Current thread from a poster with complications, surgery done in Mexico.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/297213-i-had-a-small-leak-now-all-hell-has-broken-loose/

Her surgeon, who has done a lot of folks on this board, is in touch with her and is trying to mitigate things, but what a mess when you have different teams in different countries trying to sort things out. This is the atypical scenario for Mexico sleeves, but, it is a real possibility that complications will happen, and the ability to deal with the complications is hampered when the original doctor is in another country.

Just something to think about and frustrating for everyone all around. I feel for this woman.

Bad surgeons exist everywhere no matter what the price point. Period.

Where this article falls down... (and I'm not getting into the weeds of surgery efficacy/complication rates)

'Birch says no one knows how many Canadians are travelling to Mexico for weight-loss surgery, but he estimates the cost to the Alberta health system of addressing complications to be in the millions.' - Yep, this is based on estimates. No one has clearly assimilated all the data of the number of repairs which have been conducted. That is a fault on the part of Canada in not joining the procedural and organisational dots. So it's a pretty broad brush to be painting the whole of Mexico's bariatric surgery establishments with.

'“There isn’t enough information out there; there aren’t enough warnings about the significance of these procedures,“ he said.' - Information available where? There's plenty available in the patients' home country. I can't believe people are on a whim waking up and thinking 'Oh, I know. I'll just jump a flight to Mexico without doing any research and have most of my stomach removed'... Oh, wait... someone clearly did!

“We’ve seen patients really suffer and struggle, spend a lot of money and in some cases spend years trying to get better. And not everyone does.” And this is based on their 'experience' of patients, with no metrics provided, of which they don't know the true number or are unwilling to disclose in the article, whom definitely had sub-standard bariatric surgery or complications after surgery, directly relating to the procedure and aftercare or lack thereof, specifically in Mexico?

'is one of more than 60 people being treated at the Royal Alexandra Hospital for complications from weight-loss stomach surgery, many of which were performed in Mexico.' 'More than 60 people' - okay, that's a start on the metrics - 'Many of which were performed in Mexico'. Close, but no cigar! Just how many of these people went to Mexico and of these, how many follow-up procedures were directly related to the procedure itself or the lack of aftercare?

'Birch and Wong said relying on testimonials from satisfied customers is not the same as an assessment from a team of medical professionals, including a surgeon, psychologist and dietitian.' - Yes, this is absolutely true. However, we're back to that personal accountability issue when originally researching the surgery and making the decision to go to Mexico and signing those papers that absolve the clinic of ALL post operative responsibility!

'Birch said Medical Tourism agencies should be regulated in line with Canadian health-care standards of practice for assessment, followup and informed consent.' - Lovely ideal, as they are indeed operating in Canada and it should happen. However, it would never happen due to the actual hospitals themselves then requiring to adhere to Canadian operating procedures. They'll just shift their operations out of the jurisdiction and become entirely web based.

I feel for the lady who has suffered greatly.. But this is rather sensationalist journalism.

Caveat emptor is not just a latin phrase solely applicable to bariatric surgeons in Mexico.....

But then, why would they publish the other side of the coin for failings in bariatric procedures in Canada, too? 'Cause it just wouldn't sell the paper and push people through fear to pursue 'better' state-based options....

I have a thorough disliking of the media, me.... :blink:

When I was denied by my insurance the 1st time I really thought long and hard about going to Mexico for WLS. I did alot of research and I was willing to make & take the gamble on my health. However Hubby said no way, deep down inside I knew the answer for me would be no I worked in a hospital. The day I had my surgery in CA there was reports of flooding in Mexico and all I could think of was "What if I was having surgery or even recovering from WLS and it flooded where would I be"? I am still thankful for having the WLS surgery here in the states because if I have any complications I would be taken care of.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mexican-weight-loss-surgeries-prompt-call-for-health-warning-1.2560052

I've read about plenty of people having good experiences down there. I don't have any say as I didn't go down there, but thought I would bring it up for discussion.

I had my surgery done in Reynosa, Mexico on 2/28/14.. The care I received surpassed anything I would have got in Texas. The surgical team, nutritionist, psychiatrist and patient coordinator spoke and understood English. I did my research and I asked the surgeon questions. Dr Felipe J. Cantu is a reputable surgeon who lives in Texas (the next city over from mine) and works in Mexico. I think Mexico gets a bad wrap and it's too bad there's a stigma.