Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I'm not new to posting, but this is the first topic I've started, so please be nice!

I am planning on getting sleeved in May, and other than the usual worries about the surgery itself, how much will I lose, etc. my #1 concern is the extra skin. I am scared enough to have surgery once, I don't want to have to go back under for a second time to have all the skin removed as well. My mom had gastric bypass a few years ago, so she's really the only person I know who's lost this kind of weight, and she does have a "flap". But she was also in her 60's when she had the surgery/lost the weight, and she lost well over 100 pounds.

Here are my stats: I am 34, currently weigh about 230, and have a conservative goal weight of 160, with a dream goal of 135 (I haven't weighed less than 150 since the fifth grade, so that would be an extremely dreamy dream goal for me). Oh, and I'm 5'3" and a pretty good exerciser.

So my question is specifically for ladies under 40, who have lost 100 pounds or less, and are at or near their goal. How well is your skin bouncing back? Did you do anything to help it, like weight lifting, or using special moisturizers? Where is it the worst, and have any of you had, or are considering having the "flap" removed?

Thanks in advance for any help/reassurance you can give me. I know I am going to go through with this surgery, but I want to know if I need to psych myself up for another one in the near future.

Ok soooooo in may I will be 2 years out I started out over 400lbs I am just under 200lbs and this is my body just took these pictures for this thread so its exactly how I look right now!
Not everyone is the same I am one of the bigger people I was a total apple before but as you can see I have a bunch of thigh and butt skin too.
Oh I ma 6ft and currently 34 (35 29th of march lol)

post-162358-0-28065000-1394134675_thumb.jpg

post-162358-0-12386700-1394134683_thumb.jpg

post-162358-0-03826300-1394134690_thumb.jpg

I am 37, I started at 250 and my goal is the 175lb mark - ish.

I have 20lbs to go and as it stands, I'm quite chuffed with how my skin is going back.

This does come with a caveat, however.

I think with regards to 'the flap' and all of the body, really - it is about your body type.

Belly - If you had the overhang (and I mean real overhang) when heavier - you are definitely going to have a flap when you've lost the weight. This is particularly pertinent to those women who have had children. I have not had children, but I did have the flap. That biatch is gonna be gone as soon as practicably possible.

If you're one of those people who carry their weight in a fairly even distribution, so you have a 'flat' stomach of sorts, but you're just big all over - then you may be very lucky and just shrink, and shrink in proportion.

As for every other area?

My arms - they have a bit of bag (bingo wing syndrome), but they are improving. I will not require an arm lift. Again, this is also dependent on the fat distribution of your arms. If you carry your weight on your arms and they're a little bit disproportionate to the rest of you - expect to have some element of 'bag' there. I have bag, (i had it from gaining and losing before) but it is getting better and I think when my skin finishes doing its thing, I'll be okay.

Legs - Same with my legs. I have been left with some flexible pads in between my thighs. They, too, however, are receding. Again, as with the arms, it depends on your proportions prior to surgery. I had big legs, but they were kinda even in their fat distribution and I didn't have any stretch marks. Consequently, they're going back okay. Would I revert to my youth and try and wear a thigh-high skirt? No. 2-3 inches above the knee will be quite sufficient! So I guess the only time my thighs might come into play is when I wear a swimsuit and frankly, if they continue to do they're thing, I'll be happy.

Boobs - My boobs have taken a battering. I have gone from an UK E cup, to a D cup.. They're definitely looking empty and droopy. This is an area I will consider having work on at the same time as my belly.

Exercise? I walk like a trooper and have natural muscles. I'm not gyming it up as of yet. I want to see what my body does with itself before I say 'okay, I need to do this'.

As far as I understand it, drinking lots of Water is the only thing that can help your skin. Moisturizer is a topical preparation which will help with suppleness; but if you want to hydrate the skin and improve your chances, you do it from the inside.

No one can really tell what's going to happen to their bodies in the long term.. Its age and genetics. I think the best gauge would be to potentially look at some before and after plastic surgery photos. If you see something that looks like your body type, thickness, cellulite, physical construction - then it should give you the best idea.

What I would say though, is that don't let the skin thing put you off. This is singularly the best thing I've ever done for myself and whether or not my boobs are cleaning my shoes without the application of some serious upholstery - I do look and feel much better than I ever had before.

Nothing is insurmountable. Skin? Its a worry, but it is by no means a deal-breaker.

Ok soooooo in may I will be 2 years out I started out over 400lbs I am just under 200lbs and this is my body just took these pictures for this thread so its exactly how I look right now!

Not everyone is the same I am one of the bigger people I was a total apple before but as you can see I have a bunch of thigh and butt skin too.

Oh I ma 6ft and currently 34 (35 29th of march lol)

Ok so i am encouraged by your pics, you lost a lot of weight and although you have excess skin, your body looks a hell of a lot better than mine does pre-op so if i can look like that post op, i won't be so sad.

OK, caveat here: I'm 55 so not in your age group. I am 6 months out from my surgery, have dropped a little over half the 100 pounds I plan to lose. I don't exercise much beyond walking, and I have been very relaxed with my food intake. My daily goal is to meet protien needs then from there, whatever I want. I lose an average of 7 to 10 pounds a month which is very slow compared to many others.

I do find that I have floppy arms, but I've always had issues with my upper arms. Beyond that, my belly apron is receding and the skin is firm. The skin on my legs is also firm. If I exercised, I'm sure it would be even better. In fact, I'm planning plastics, but really only my arms and boobs.

I think the response of our skin is genetics, age, life experience (I've had two kids and had a massive abdominal surgery.) Pre-weight gain, I never had the apron till I hit 170 and as I drop back that direction, it looks like it may go away. Believe me, I'm crosssing my fingers!! My doctor suggested exercise, moisturizing and hydration for optimal skin thickening. I also believe that rapid weight loss contributes to the skin bagging. I use baby oil gel, body butters and oil formulated for scars and stretch marks. And I drink a LOT of fluids, and avoid sodium and alcohol.

Best of luck!

I have seen a lot of pics on here of younger people like you who look phenomenal after the weight loss with no surgery. Chances are you will be fine and look great and not need it.

You are relatively young

You don't have that much to lose (compared to others)

I foresee a beautiful new Tanya.

Ok, I'm in my 20's, ht of 4'11", with a starting weight wt of 240.

Current weight= 135.

I've never had children. I exercise religiously. I moisturize and exfoliate my skin daily. I do my best with Water intake and all that. I also wear compressions during exercising.

I must say, I look damn good........... In clothing.

Underneath, I'm a total mess of loose skin, saggy boobs, and hanging belly.

But I can deal with that better than the extra 105lbs. I do plan on having cosmetic surgery in the future, but until then, I'll just tuck in the hanging flaps , cover the bat wings, and roll up the boobs.

My surgeon has said people under 35 have a good chance at little to no sagging skin. I'm worried about the same thing and I'm 34. My husband had surgery a few years ago and lost a 120 lbs. and has NO sagging skin anywhere. Good Luck!

My advise to you is to work on your "flabby" areas as much as possible now and try to start building muscle there now before you start to lose the weight. Once you start the weight loss, keep up the Protein to retain the muscle and lose the fat. You don't have a lot to lose so I'm guessing you probably won't have a lot of excess skin.

That was a quick post let me fill in some more on what I do (don’t do lol)

Don’t drink Water at all my Fluid intake daily is Decaf tea and Protein shakes lol

I’ve used both cocoa butter cream then a mix of almond oil and lemon or orange oil for my skin as citrus is a tigthener.

Don’t really exercise much I couldn’t for the first 8 months then I went swimming once a week then moved on to the gym doing weights for 30mins 2-3 times a week which I haven’t got back into since nov.

My thighs were the first to go an looked like that within the first month boom! It went so fast off there they were a lot more saggy the skin caught up some.

You do notice skin being saggier then not as saggy then hanging again then not so bad its trippy my upper arms I noticed doing this over and over.

Weight going skin catching up weight going over And over.

I was told pre op my legs would be fine not much if any skin sag but my belly would hang low like to my knees, which was a guess at pre op body and how tight my skin was over my fat I wasn’t a jiggly fat person it was all very tight and solid.

Clearly not the case post op lol

I do think I am lucky I have seen a lot of tv shows etc like we all do and the skin on some people is crazy my original size even smaller than me its like wow I see myself and I am like frig you lucky B could be so much worse than you have it now!

I would be interested in seeing other pics but I know for a lot of people its just not something they want to post.

Me I show everyone lol been in the hair dressers and pulled my top up and dropped my pants to my knees.

I will show anyone who asks any place any time I’m a weirdo like that lol

This has all been so encouraging from the postings to the pictures! I as well have worried about the excessive skin. I am 47, have over 150 pounds total to lose, I moisturize like crazy, try to tone when I can. I've been married for 27 years so the way I see it, he's already seen me at my worst! I am big but evenly proportioned so I think this eases my mind. Thank you everyone for the input and thank you Butterflyeffect for asking. Keep up the great work everyone!!

Ok, here are my stats. I just turned 35, have lost 96 pounds as of today and have about 30 more pounds to go. I'm almost 6 months post op. I've attached a pic that I took after a work out just this past weekend. Just looking at me, I don't think anyone would thing, "oh wow".... she needs skin removal, but for ME, I think that I will probably need my "bat wings" worked on underside of my arms - and definitely the lower part of my stomach. That one is covered by my insurance. I'm still working and hoping the work outs might take care of the arms, but there is no amount of working out in my opinion that is going to take care of all that extra hangy skin on the lower half of my stomach. We will see I guess. Oh yes, and I've also had 4 kiddos so that may affect the bounce-back-potential of my stomach

post-182723-0-24264800-1394141580_thumb.jpg

Edited by livvsmum

There isn't much you can do other than not get fat in the first place.

I am 34 5-5 and I have lost 100 lbs. I want to lose 40 more, Do I have saggy skin?? of course I do, Does it bother me? Not really.

Will I have plastics to get all tight and perfect? ABSOLUTELY! Nothing in this whole wide world would stop me. I have had 3 friends that had plastics and each one of them told me it does not hurt. Is that what you are worried about pain??? Your sleeve or whatever your having surgery will be 100xs more painful. I promise.

I am planning a 360 upper body lift, a breast aug and Tummy Tuck. Cost $8500 in MX. I plan on going when I reach a size 0-2. Just 2 more sizes away!

You will be just fine.

Ok, here are my stats. I just turned 35, have lost 96 pounds as of today and have about 30 more pounds to go. I'm almost 6 months post op. I've attached a pic that I took after a work out just this past weekend. Just looking at me, I don't think anyone would thing, "oh wow".... she needs skin removal, but for ME, I think that I will probably need my "bat wings" worked on underside of my arms - and definitely the lower part of my stomach. That one is covered by my insurance. I'm still working and hoping the work outs might take care of the arms, but there is no amount of working out in my opinion that is going to take care of all that extra hangy skin on the lower half of my stomach. We will see I guess. Oh yes, and I've also had 4 kiddos so that may affect the bounce-back-potential of my stomach

You look great