Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein! How much and Why

This seems to be an ongoing issue with people of how much Protein I need and I am not losing weight. The correct amount of protein that people need to be eating per day is between 70 to 90 grams. Why? Because protein burns fat. If you fill yourself with carbs and slack on the protein you will expect a slower weight loss or no weight loss or being stuck for weeks with no weight loss. Yes plateaus happen. It is normal to have or hit plateaus but to keep things moving at a slow but steady pace your body needs protein in order to burn your fat stores. I have eaten as much as 120 grams of protein in a day. In order for your fat stores to burn, you have to feed it protein. If you are giving it carbs they carbs turn to sugar which then turn to fat. Yes carbs as in veggies are good except for the starchy vegetables such as peas. If you do not fuel your body with the amount of protein that it requires to burn fat then you are going to have many stalls or no weight loss along your journey. If you don't believe me then for one week eat very little protein and a lot of carbs and see what happens. I guarantee the end result will make you cry. Protein it does the body good so eat it. For those of you that can still eat red meat it will help you lose weight faster also because red meat takes longer to digest therefore burning more calories. You also have to have a deficit in calories to lose a pound. If you want to lose a pound a week then you have to have a 3,500 calorie deficit that week in order to lose a pound. If you are counting everything you are putting in your mouth at the end of the day your protein should out weigh your carb and fat intake.

great minds think alike I just made a post about my problems with Protein, thanks for sharing. !

Yes, Thank You for sharing. I think this is whats wrong with me. I have not lost a pd in 3 weeks. And I definitely am not eating or getting that much Protein. I am going to to now.