Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety - Does it get better?

I'm three weeks post op and having panic attacks, depression and anxiety. I hear its normal at first and the first month post op is the hardest because we can't eat or drink much. Is this real? Is it a hormone imbalance or what? I've heard all different theories. Please tell me this feeling will subside.

Did you have anxiety issues pre-sleeve or is this something completely new?

I am not prone to anxiety, but for me, this was a major step in my life. Somewhere between getting married and buying a house. I think a person who didn't have some anxiety would need to have their head examined. LOL!

Now, some folks may go overboard, for sure. There is healthy worrying and then there is going overboard. I'm guessing you are fearing you have gone overboard. My advice is to take your nervous energy outside. Take long walks. When you get back, if you are still feeling anxious, turn around and go for another loop.

Keep in mind that thousands of others have come before you and have made it through to the other side without problems or complications. Chances are, you will, too. Just breathe, relax and keep doing the next right thing.

I found I settled down around 3-4 weeks. I think the body is just in shock after such a major procedure. The emotional swings settled down after 3 weeks -- thank goodness.

Support for mental health is always a good idea in my book.

I got progessivly worse for me.

I started on a few Valium ( or a Valium family pill) a day to keep those in check.

I notice when I am feeling hot and sweaty and overly anxious and just not my calm self I have a large weight loss that week,

Fat cells are made up of not just fat, They are full of hormones notably progesterone and estrogen. when you are shrinking your fat cells ( they never go away) you are releasing much more than you realize.

Maybe you can get on a light anti depressant like celexa and a xanex or valuim to get you through those days.

Good luck

Edited by ASKSARAH - Sleeve

I got progessivly worse for me.

I started on a few Valium ( or a Valium family pill) a day to keep those in check.

I notice when I am feeling hot and sweaty and overly anxious and just not my calm self I have a large weight loss that week,

Fat cells are made up of not just fat, They are full of hormones notably progesterone and estrogen. when you are shrinking your fat cells ( they never go away) you are releasing much more than you realize.

Maybe you can get on a light anti depressant like celexa and a xanex or valuim to get you through those days.

Good luck

How far out from surgery are you? Did you eventually get better and the anxiety subside?

I found I settled down around 3-4 weeks. I think the body is just in shock after such a major procedure. The emotional swings settled down after 3 weeks -- thank goodness.

Support for mental health is always a good idea in my book.

I have an appointment with a therapist this week. Thanks for the very kind words!