Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How easy is it to stretch your sleeve?

Just curious, I'm terrified of stretching my sleeve?

If you follow the rules and take things slowly, you will be ok. Listen to your body and don't over eat. Your sleeve can only handle so much and any more will actually sit in the esophagus (talk about heartburn). At this stage (your profile states the sleeve was last month) your stomach is still healing. This takes 6 months to have a mature scar across the sleeve. If you over eat at this stage you are at risk of rupture instead of stretching.

As the stomach heals, the swelling resolves and you can take in more food. I am not talking a big meal like before the surgery. You should still be on liquids (most likely full liquids at the present) but when you start soft foods you will only be able to take a bite or two before feeling full. Thats from the still swollen healing tummy. As the swelling resolves, you will be able to take in more but limit the meal to 1/2 cup total food.

I am almost 40 weeks post sleeve and can drink 1/2 cup of Water at a time (I started counting how many swallows I could tolerate at one time. In the beginning I could only take a sip at a time, then 3 regular swallows and now I count 7-8 swallows) When I drink the Protein shakes (11 oz takes me 90 minutes to drink) I don't drink anything else till the shake is down and another 30 min have past. lunch is my "real meal" and after fixing 20-25 gm of Protein (usually meat or eggs or both) I add veggies to make 1/2 cup. My nut wanted me to get at least 3 servings of fruit a week so I can get the Vitamins so I add 1/4 cup of fruit to the blender for my Protein Shake in the morning 3 times a week.

I have always worried that I would be able to eat like I used to before the sleeve but so far I have been able to stay on track. Now if I could just loose the last 40 lbs. I am a SLOW looser for sure.

Good luck and stick with it, you will see a new you soon!

If you follow the rules and take things slowly, you will be ok. Listen to your body and don't over eat. Your sleeve can only handle so much and any more will actually sit in the esophagus (talk about heartburn). At this stage (your profile states the sleeve was last month) your stomach is still healing. This takes 6 months to have a mature scar across the sleeve. If you over eat at this stage you are at risk of rupture instead of stretching.

As the stomach heals, the swelling resolves and you can take in more food. I am not talking a big meal like before the surgery. You should still be on liquids (most likely full liquids at the present) but when you start soft foods you will only be able to take a bite or two before feeling full. Thats from the still swollen healing tummy. As the swelling resolves, you will be able to take in more but limit the meal to 1/2 cup total food.

I am almost 40 weeks post sleeve and can drink 1/2 cup of Water at a time (I started counting how many swallows I could tolerate at one time. In the beginning I could only take a sip at a time, then 3 regular swallows and now I count 7-8 swallows) When I drink the Protein shakes (11 oz takes me 90 minutes to drink) I don't drink anything else till the shake is down and another 30 min have past. lunch is my "real meal" and after fixing 20-25 gm of Protein (usually meat or eggs or both) I add veggies to make 1/2 cup. My nut wanted me to get at least 3 servings of fruit a week so I can get the Vitamins so I add 1/4 cup of fruit to the blender for my Protein Shake in the morning 3 times a week.

I have always worried that I would be able to eat like I used to before the sleeve but so far I have been able to stay on track. Now if I could just loose the last 40 lbs. I am a SLOW looser for sure.

Good luck and stick with it, you will see a new you soon!

Thx! I'm so impatient, I eat way too fast and this is my biggest downfall. I am one month post op tomorrow and on pureeds.