Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How important is your goal weight for you?

Hello everybody,

I am currently in the pre-op phase, scheduled for April 14th.

I was reading on the veterans forum as I am very courious what to expect years down the road. It cought my attention that several veteran sleevers are struggling and fighting to lose that last 10-20 pounds.

Now, as I am still sitting on the fat bench I am thinking myself that I would probably not even care about losing that last 20 pounds, as I have about 100 pound to lose that 20 seems just like icing on the cake...

I do not want you to think that I am already finding excuses as I take this very seriously and prepearing the best I can, but I wonder if those last pounds are really making that much of a difference? Is any sleevers outthere being happy 10-20 pounds over goal weight?

Honestly, right now I feel so heavy and uncomfortable that I think even losing 50 pounds would make a huge difference in my life. Hard to wrap my head around losing 100 pounds...long way to go :)

Edited by green*eyed*girl

My only goals that I have is:

1) get off all 11 meds and insulin I was taking. I have one blood pressure pill and cymbalta for fibromyalgia which the surgeon said I had to take for a year. So goal #1 almost met.

2) weigh 1 lb less than my husband. Still working on this, about 40 lbs to go for that, but if he keeps mouwing down the chips it may come sooner, lol

Other than that I have no strict goals. I'm very happy with the way things are going. Set your own goals and don't measure by anyone else's .

Reaching my goal weight of 135 lbs is important to me. :) Being overweight all my life I want to know what my 5'2 frame will look like at that weight. The lowest I've reached was 185 on WW.

I set my goal weight what I think is ideal for me . ...140pounds at 5 feet 1.5 , 60 years old. To me that is a reasonable goal weight that I can maintain rather going to what my dr recommended, 115 pounds. I would look sick weighing 115 pounds. I was 142 lbs several years ago and was a size 4-6. That be just fine for me. :). I have 35 pounds to lose. I have larger goals than just what the scale indicates, I.e. Discontinue Bp meds, reduce bad cholesterol, and eliminate sleep apnea. I have berm monitoring my Bp without taking the meds and it is normal. I need to go to my primary doc and discuss Bp readings so that we can make a decision if she agrees I should stay off of Bp meds. I take a new blood test next on Monday..so hopefully my cholesterol has reduced. One month after surgery it went from 205 to 166.. But my LDL needs to be lowered.

My personal goal is important to me, as it is to probably everyone...but I am SOOOO happy right now with myself... I have RA and could not move without a cane or walker....even to just get up to go to the bathroom!!! Now I don't need them (unless I am doing some MAJOR walking...like sightseeing on my vacation next month)... and I don't have to sit every 5 minutes because I'm "winded"... I am still going to reach my goal...but for now, the new, today, version of ME is very happy :)

My goal weight right now may be rather ambitious. It's in the middle of the 'healthy weight' range for my height. I'm 5'9" and have set my goal at 150. My old WW goal was 165 -- I got to 158 very, very briefly in my mid 20's (I'm 42 now).

But honestly, once I reach the top of that 'healthy weight' range I will reevaluate -- that's at 169. If at that point 150 seems impossible I will be happy with 165 (and a bounce of 4 lbs to always keep me in the healthy weight range).

But omg I would really LOVE to see what 145- 150 is like! It may be totally doable. We'll see as I get closer to healthy weight. I think, for me, the main thing will be that I have reached a goal I've set for myself, even if I raise that goal to 169.

But you're right, green eyed, losing 50 lb WILL make a huge difference in your life. And I agree, wrapping our heads around even the possibility of getting to a healthy weight can be mind blowing. But once you're on your way, you may well find that you've built up the momentum to go for a whole 100, or whatever you and your dr feel is right for you. The whole thing is a process.

It's an evolution! :D

My goal weight right now may be rather ambitious. It's in the middle of the 'healthy weight' range for my height. I'm 5'9" and have set my goal at 150. My old WW goal was 165 -- I got to 158 very, very briefly in my mid 20's (I'm 42 now).

But honestly, once I reach the top of that 'healthy weight' range I will reevaluate -- that's at 169. If at that point 150 seems impossible I will be happy with 165 (and a bounce of 4 lbs to always keep me in the healthy weight range).

But omg I would really LOVE to see what 145- 150 is like! It may be totally doable. We'll see as I get closer to healthy weight. I think, for me, the main thing will be that I have reached a goal I've set for myself, even if I raise that goal to 169.

But you're right, green eyed, losing 50 lb WILL make a huge difference in your life. And I agree, wrapping our heads around even the possibility of getting to a healthy weight can be mind blowing. But once you're on your way, you may well find that you've built up the momentum to go for a whole 100, or whatever you and your dr feel is right for you. The whole thing is a process.

It's an evolution! :D

I like this. And I think you are right, or at least I hope you are, and when I am there I will feel it is totally possible and doable to lose 100. I mean in a way I still think it is as I see so many of you losing much more then that, but I also think if I feel comfortable with less weightloss I might just settle for that. It is truly going to be a journey... :)

For me its more of a size then a weight. I would like to get down to size 8/10. If thats at 200lbs great, if thats at 150lbs that even better.

Interesting topic. I was just thinking about this today.

My goal weight (that I picked and it happened to coincide with my doctor's goal weight) is 125. That's 24 lbs. away. Right now I am at a 25 BMI and look/feel pretty good. I keep asking myself if I really need to lose that final 20 odd lbs.

My "bad" side says no,

My "good" side says I need to make that goal.

My cynical side says I will probably lose it regardless because I don't eat that much anymore so I'll probably keep losing unless I radically change my eating habits (currently 800-1000 calories a day and mostly healthy foods). Even if I go way off base for the day I never eat more than 1200 calories, and I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" - it's just the way I eat now (protein first, then vegs, then carbs and lots of water).

I really don't know what I think anymore. ;p

I am still pre-op and have no goal weight. I purposely didn't set one because I don't want to discourage myself. Also because I have zero clue what I will look like thin and what my body will look like. I don't think I want to be thin, just very healthy. That's my goal, off as many meds as possible and fit. Whatever healthy weight that ends up being, I'm cool.

I currently have 25lbs left to lose from the initial 100. My weight loss is definitely slowing down, and I feel so scared. I know what you mean, because when I had 100lbs to lose, I would've been satisfied with my current weight. But my goal has become so important to me. For several reasons.... 140 is the average weight a woman my height should be. I have no idea what that is like. I really want to know. Also, reaching the goal I set for myself (as well as my doctor), is a huge achievement. To me, it would be like I reached the finish line and ran through that ribbon, screaming of joy.

Don't get me wrong, I do recognize my current achievement, but I don't want to have thoughts in my head such as "I'm trying to lose 20lbs", or "I need to get rid of those extra few lbs". I have never NOT worried about losing weight in my life. Of course, once you reach goal, maintenance is a whole other story though... Super hard as I hear it...

I'm 16 lbs from goal. The first 100 were easy compared to the last 20. I've been tossing the same 2 lbs back and forth for about 4 mths now. If I took it more seriously, I could probly lose it.

Truth is if I never lost another lb, I'd still be happy. Happy to be in a size 7/8 jeans, able to tie my shoes and cross my legs, and wear a bathing suit (dont let my road-map of a tummy show tho). I'd be over the moon if I weighed 135, not sure how'd I'd feel as I've never before in my adult life weighed less than 144.

So yes, while I'd be overjoyed to reach my goal, I'm also happy maintaining (which I do easily with my sleeve, yeah!) my current weight. I used to roll my eyes at friends who complained about the 20 lbs they needed to lose. 20 was nuthin. Now it's SOMETHING...

Good luck with ur surgery!

Edited by marfar7

I'm 5`5 currently weigh 250, my doctor's goal for me is 175. I'd be happy at 150, but I'd like to get down to 140 so I have wiggle room if I start to gain again. 150 will be my danger zone. I'll be happy if I reach my doctor's goal but I really hope to reach my personal goal because that would be such a great accomplishment for me, it's a gift I want to give myself after abusing my body for so long.

As others have stated.. I am happy with what I've achieved.

However, the obsessive tendencies which develop through this process can become addictive in their own right.

You did something so dramatic, that anything less than perfection will not do....

Mix that with the really bloody-minded 'I have to achieve' attitude, which I tend to have...

and it results in the daily mantra; 'I have to get these last 23lbs off GODDAMNNIT!

MOVE scale, MOVE!!!!!' :angry:

As others have stated.. I am happy with what I've achieved.

However, the obsessive tendencies which develop through this process can become addictive in their own right.

You did something so dramatic, that anything less than perfection will not do....

Mix that with the really bloody-minded 'I have to achieve' attitude, which I tend to have...

and it results in the daily mantra; 'I have to get these last 23lbs off GODDAMNNIT!

MOVE scale, MOVE!!!!!' :angry:

Yes, I can totally relate to that, as I often obsess with things that are super important to me.

I read a very interesting comment here, I do not remember the topic or the user, but she said that she is "playing" this weird game where she tries to take in all her Protein needs but with the least calories possible, every day little bit less and less and working out more and more, and I have found it very interesting. I mean after long years of abuse and really not careing about our bodies suddenly it becomes our first priority...fascinating ...