Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

APRIL Bandits' Exercise Challenge!

Hi team,

I've been away a few days dealing with the "repurcussions of my actions." :faint: The actions being that I will be banded next week and will be self-pay. And oh, my mom, a nutritionist/dietician, thinks this is the worst decision I have ever made and that I'm too immature to even make such a decision. :cry

I need some support guys. :help: If you were 20, would you have this surgery? I don't think I'm too young. I moved three-thousand miles away from home to go to school and even though I'm on a leave of absence right now to deal with my weight, I've made huge progress regarding my physical and mental health.

My mom's friends have been calling me non-stop to tell me what a terrible decision this is. One of them is a doctor and told me what a high failure rate the lap band has... One of them told me that I should wait till I was 25 to make this decision because I'm too young to see the big picture- as if on my 25th birthday I will magically wake up and be wise.... One of them told me that because I don't have a comprehensive team under one roof that it's a terrible idea.

PLEASE LBT friends tell me that I'm making a good decision. I KNOW I'm doing the right thing... :clap2: But sometimes you need it from an outside source. I'm scared and having pre-surgery jitters, like everyone else, and all this negativity and self-doubt is not helping me. :)

Thanks for reading my emotional purge,

Sheila

P.S. On a positive note, I have completed two exercise sessions on my bike. Tin Foil Challenge: 2 out of 14 exercise sessions (20 mins)

Yay on the excersize Sheila you are doing great. As for your Mom and her friends, if you know you are making the right choice for you then ignore them. I truly wish I had had the opportunity to do this 14 yrs ago (not sure it existed yet) My life would have been so different in a positive way. This surgery does not have to be permanent, you can easily reverse it if desired (not sure why you'd want to...)

Julie yay for clean hair! It does make ya feel soo much better. Rootin for that shower :)

Betty, thanks for the definition :mad:

I have 1 week and 1 day till my bandiversary, I can't believe it! I need to come up with a celebratory activity, some sort of reward that is NOT food related, lol. I can't believe it's been a year! The time has really flown by. If I lose 2 lbs this week I will have lost 80lbs in my first year. Not too shabby, not stellar but then it took me 10 months to get to my sweet spot :mad: (VG band)

I did not need this surgery at 20---if I could have had it the second I did need it---I would have. If that had been at 20---you betcha I would have done it! I have daughters 25 & 24, and I would not hesitate to suggest it to either of them, if it were something they needed. They like their Mama, are still tall and thin---but my 30's were killer!!!! It is never to early to get healthy. If you are confident you cannot do it "on your own" (oh how it pained me to type that!!!) then using the band to help you get healthy is not a mistake! The longer you wait, and punish your body under the excess weight, the longer your organs suffer---the higher your blood pressure will go, as well as your blood sugars---obesity is not something to take lightly---and it sounds to me like you have researched it, and want the band to help you out of the body you are in---and it will! Would I have done it at 20? YES!!! I wish I had been able to do it 15-20 years ago! It would have changed many things, not just for me, but for family vacations, and how much I interacted on behalf of my kids. Yep---do it while you are young, and can enjoy the life ahead of you!!! Mama's are very cautious with our kids, and in your Moms case, with her career being in health, I imagine she thinks the obesity you suffer with is simply a choice. Someone who has not been here, has no idea. Let her see how you succeed, and get healthy---we will be here for support!

You guys make me feel like Annie Oakley or something!!! I am so far from that! My inlaws had serious doubts about me and the farming/ranching thing from the begining---I am pretty prissy myself!!! I have my nails done weekly, and my toes every 2 weeks in the summer, and monthly in the winter! My hair is usually done---and I do not leave home often without make-up. They laugh because I co-ordinate everything! My shoes must match---even my boots----I am either in brown mode or black mode out there---and I even have a pair of teal ropers! When I leave home to go out there, if my clothes need black accesories for instance, my boots will be black, my purse will be black....as will my sunglasses! Even the ponytail holder will match! Either the black, or the color of my shirt---something---it HAS to match! Rick and I do not wear matching shirts or anything like that!!! BUT---if he is wearing blue for instance, I will coordinate to him!!! Pathetic yes.....

My jewelry is minimal---but whether I am shopping, or herding, I will have diamond studs in my ears, and a diamond necklace on. They are not big---just very special to me---and worn most all the time!

I get laughed at over it....they think it is hilarious! I think it is me! I am ok with it, and Rick loves me---they can laugh if they want!!! My FIL is always shaking his head and saying "well I never" he laughs when I check to see if I broke a nail---but he knows there isn't anyone of them who can catch a cow in the chute better than I can---so he lets me priss all I want. Besides when I am up on that horse---I am not stepping in what that animal or any other has dropped!!!

Well I can't scroll back to see who ask---but our place in TX is on Hwy 36, just outside of Comanche. Near Brownwood---SE of Abilene.

I need to fix my signature, I finished yesterday, and have already completed today. Yesterday I raked the rose garden, and pruned---and eliminated elm trees!!! They are a PITA!!! It looks so much better, and will be nice when they begin to bloom. I got the honeysuckle cleaned up...the entire south side of my house is ready! This morning, I hit Curves, and spent an hour on the swings with the granddaughter.

Glad to see everyone is doing well---even if nerves are getting to a few of you!!! It is normal, you might be worried if you didn't get a little scared heading into surgery!

Everyone take care!!!

Kat

Julie - it's so good to hear how great your recovery is progressing! Going thru the same thing with Alan.................we took an hour walk this morning..................in another week, or even before I bet you'll be doing the same!

I need a fill - so now that Alan is up to it, I'm going to call and make an appt....................there is something in there - but it sure is not like before! I need that back!

Sheila it's so hard to give advise to others about having the band surgery - for me it has been the best decision I've made to date...........I've spent over 60 years being obese.......up and down, up and down............I'm now very close to being "only overweight"...............it's such a wonderful feeling.............if you were my child I'd tell you to go for it - it's not like the bypass - it is reversable if it does not work for you............family and friends who have not had a weight problem just don't quite understand what we go thru...............the band has been my answer..........along with some great bandit friends and now having exercise as a part of my day.

Sheila,

I have no business contradicting your mother. I didn't tell my mother because I did not want her to be afraid. I'm sure your mom is scared. The surgery is really not a big deal. It is so minor compared to the other problems obesity causes.

Why spend your life in agony when there is help? Medicine is a great blessing of our modern day. Take advantage of it.

As a mother, I would be afraid for you. But as a woman that felt compelled to have this surgery, I would not hesitate to have it again!

OK, KAT, I GIVE UP!!! YOU ARE

Wonder Woman!

How in the world do you do all of that, and play on the swings, babysit, and be the caregiver to all extended family members? All I can say is, "Wow!"

My day began rather down...don't know why!?

THEN, I pushed myself to run the track to get ready for a 5K next week. It is so helpful to be able to time laps and challenge myself.

1/4 mile warm-up

Ran mile 1 in 10:00

Ran mile 2 in 9:30

Walked 50 yards, then ran mile 3 in 14:00

Walked and ran additional 3/4 mile for a 4 mile total.

After I was finished, I climbed the stadium steps 5 times.

Came home drenched in sweat, and happy as can be! I am CHARGED up!

See? The exercise works!

Hi Sheila,

Im 25 and got my band at 24 if there was this possibility when I was 20 I would have done it in a heartbeat.Why to lose the best years of your youth cause you are obese. Hey tell your mom that almost all April bandits that are still active in the LBT have lost over 50pounds!!!

yes its a tool so you need to be disciplined.if you believe that you will be then go for it and dont care about what your mom says, its your life!!

I support you with all my heart!

Sheila,

At 20, I was about 230 lbs. If I could go back and have the band then, instead of at 33 at 330 lbs, I would do it in a heartbeat. I really think for those who have done the reseach and think that the lapband is a good match for them, in terms of correcting their particular type of eating challenges (often the need for quantity eating more than difficulty making healthier choices, at least some of the time), there is no sense in waiting. Obesity is a progressive disease. You can lose weight without the lapband, most certainly. But, very, very few (i.e. statistically impossible for any one individual) can lose it and keep it off. The studies show 1 in 50 who need to lose 50 lbs or more will lose and keep it off for one single year. So what does that mean for someone like me who needed to lose 150+ and keep it off for 60 years? What does that mean for you, who wants to lose 100+ and keep it off for 70 years? Getting the lapband just makes sense.

Assuming YOU are comfortable with the surgical risks, do your best to educate your Mom on the process, but don't let her deter you. If you aren't comfortable with the surgical risks, it's ok if you need some more time. 20 is very young and this is a big decision. If some of the things your Mom is saying are making sense to you, that's ok too.

Feel free to talk out your concerns some more with us. It's going to be fine.

Kat, a woman who ranches with a manicure is even cooler in my view. Wink.

I updated my ticker. I think I've still got about 10 lbs of swelling in me, but we're making progress. With my PS, I pretty much skipped the 190s! I'd like to skip the 180s as well....

Today I get the dressing and the stitches taken off my breasts and I move into a sports bra. What normalcy! I also get the staples (yikes!) taken out of my stomach, but the stitches stay in for another week.

Betty, I WISH I would be walking for exercise within a week. Unfortunately, I'm under strict instructions to only walk in a crouched position for two more weeks. This is to ensure that the incision line doesn't split (can you imagine that my tummy is so tight that they worry the incision line might split!). So, Alan wins the race FOR NOW.

Kat - I thought Alan was SUPER-POPPOPS, but oh my, oh my...........how do you do all that? Alan thinks I'm a dope getting my nails done and then working in the yard!

OK Julie - walk crunched for a few more weeks - then I'm sure you'll be flying down the road..................I don't know if that's fair - what do you mean you skipped the 90's................and I bet after the swelling goes down the 80's..................took me 3 months or more! I better get going again.............you're going to wiz right past me! So how do the "girlies" look? Oh, to have a tummy that could spread apart if I stood up straight! You lucky doggy, you!

Having my friends over today to play Mah Jongg............and when they leave Alan and I are going to walk to the movies (about 2 miles away), going to see The Namesake - heard it was very good - and go to dinner!

:think Seriously, I got a little teary eyed when I looked online and found all your encouraging responses. Thank you so much. I am so grateful for this thread and for this group of extraordinary women.

You know when you make a big decision you can feel it in your gut if it was the right or wrong decision.... I KNOW I'm making the right call. But to not have the support of my own mom... well it's just hard. My Dad is an MD and my step-Mom is a nurse and both think that this surgery is a great idea. I'm working with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and eating problems and she thinks I'm going to do well.

Anyway, thanks so much for the support and the inspiration. If I could even lose 50 pounds in a year and keep it off, I would consider this a sucess. :clap2:

I'm going to get on my bike today again. I've had a sore rump since Monday but I feel great. I tackled a big hill for the first time on Monday. Okay it's not THAT big but it feels big! :nervous

Julie, I hope that you continue to feel better. I'm on a leave of absence from NYU so when I come back to New York maybe we can get a chance to meet face to face!

Guysis, what's Mah Jongg? Glad to here that "Poppops" is doing well. (In my family it's Poppy!)

Eficka, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Boo-Way to Go!! A 9:30 min mile! Wow. I am impressed!

Kat-You are officially "fierce" in my book! A cowgirl by day and a lady by night. You could single-handedly play all the parts in a western melodrama.

You guys rock. And yes, by this time next week, I'll be in bandland! In honor of Kat, "YEEHAW!!"

Just found this thread.. I'll go for the Bronze for now :o

Welcome Laura :D

Well now I know why my muscles ache. AF is here with a vengence, she breezed into town during the night. This is not gonna be a fun visit I can already tell. The only time she visits is when I lose a good chunk of weight quickly. Such a price to pay :o

I get banded next Friday but I want a bronze. I have already started.

2 of 14 down.

THANKS FOR THE CHALLENGE

I am so glad I found this site.

Hello APRIL bandits!!!!

The weather has suddenly gotten cold again with even a chance for snow, so I did my walking indoors today... it just doesn't feel like a work out walking the ol hollowed halls of this convent! LOL

(YES, I work in an actual convent complete with Catholic NUNS) ohhh the stories I could tell... LOL

You guys are a hoot! Betty you crack me up daily! the "67 and a slut" comment still makes me giggle.

Julie: I am so happy for you in skipping the 190's!!!! and yes, I bet you'll be well in the middle 170's when the swelling goes down.

BOO: I am so thankful you've started all these really cool threads!

KAT: Whether your riding quarter horse or a steel stead that makes potatoe sounds......... you ARE our resident Annie Oakely! LOL (and I can't wait to see what you send me out of your summer cast offs!)

Eficka: I love reading your upbeat posts and your pics over on b4 and after thread are AWESOME!

I'm horrible at personals.. so I don't mean to miss anyone.. I am forever grateful for all the imput on these boards.... it really makes me feel better when I'm dealing with knawing hunger pains and a not so supportive partner.

I will say this for our youngster......... I have never been considered THIN, in my adult life I've lost 80 lbs 3 times and 20-30 lbs more times than I can count....... If I could of had this surgery back in my 20's I would have. Instead I lost, and then regained...... each time making it a little bit harder than the time before....... Depending on which YEAR you saw me in the store I would be in a size 12 or 24...... its the disgusted/disappointed looks of people who are clicking their tongue at the regain.... (they don't get it) Its the maintaining I desparately need to master...... Your mom loves you, but she doesn't understand... you will just have to prove her wrong. My own mother needs this surgery, but she doesn't even talk to me about it because ME going through with it is somehow making her feel like a failure because she is chicken or what ever. I am very close with my mom..... I talk to her daily, and also email daily... so for her to be so distant on this subject is hurtful, but THIS IS MY JOURNEY to take... as it is YOURS........ get your support somewhere else and I'm betting she will come around in time.