Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

APRIL Bandits' Exercise Challenge!

Another question:

(I promise to be less "needy" after I'm banded!!)

Did you all have self-discipline before you were banded? Post-op is it easier to follow a food plan and an exercise plan? Just curious. I'm in for the long haul so you don't need to sugar-coat the answers. Just wondering. Thanks Team April!

Did you all have self-discipline before you were banded? Post-op is it easier to follow a food plan and an exercise plan?/quote]

I could not follow a food plan for more than a day (or, more likely, a single meal) before getting banded. I started a diet every day for 10 years -- almost literally. Post-op isn't what makes it easier -- it's post FILLS. Post-op, until my 3rd fill, I still started a diet every day and failed. Then I got the right fill and everything fell into place. I started a diet and was able to stay on it more days than not. And when I fall off, it's for one item -- it doesn't blow the whole day. It's very liberating.

For me the adrenaline rush getting the surgery was enough to carry me for 4 months! In the first 4mo I had no restriction but I had dedication and the results I was seeing fed that drive to eat right and lose. Then I had a few tough months where I was out of control on my choices, I was worn out from "dieting" at 10mo I finally got the fill that was the answer to my prayers, I have the VG band so it can take a lot longer to get good restriction. In the last 7weeks I have lost an additional 30lbs! Is it easy to stay on track? most days yes, because I have the restriction and because I see the results. I know that the weight is coming off and will continue to do so.

I don't think I'm going to the track today, AF has me worn out and is so intrusive this visit I don't want to get stuck somewhere without a restroom!

I was like Molly in some ways. To begin with my surgeon had me scared to death to eat too early!!! He explained it great detail how this was going to be done, andWHY I could not cheat. So I didn't!!! Then when the food was allowed again, the weight had really begun to drop off, so I had motivation! When that began to wain, it was time to get a fill---and the first fill helped a little, I couldn't eat so fast, I actually felt like "wooohoooo I have a working band!!!". Then with the second fill I achieved a good level of restriction that I have been riding for the last 8 months or so.

So in answer to your question, yes post op was easier for me to follow than anything pre op ever was. The results are there every single day---if it isn't weight it is inches, I have lost over 50 inches off of my body. Unreal! It is the feeling of success, of having made the right decision, of having found the tool that worked for me, that made it so much easier!!! Besides the stress eating alone lessens, when it is a done deal!!!

We have no problem with you being "needy"....we like feeling needed!

Y'all crack me up---I feel like I should be sitting here with a chew in or something!!! The only wrangling I did today was kids!!! I had a houseful!!! My DD and her 2 (2 of my granddaughters --ages 6 and 2), my DIL and my grandson (1), a niece and her DD (5), a friend and her DD (1). and my DD's tag along Marvin. Marvin is mentally retarded, she is 39, and has the mentality of about a 10 year old, and she wants to be a boy, so she prefers to be called Marvin as opposed to her given name of Marilyn. She is very involved in Special Olympics. Her mother is not in her life, her Grandmother is raising her, and she is just to busy for the grandmother, who is over 80. My DD and my niece both take her around, home to spend time, holidays---you name it! She is about 4'8"....and looks to be in her early 20's maybe. No worries, no wrinkles....But she is a sports nut, she loves children, she loves to come to "Granny Grandma's" house and play. She was in her true hey day today, with all the kids!!! Kinsey and I made cupcakes this morning, and today we grilled hot dogs, and had lunch. We ate outside, so all the spilled drinks were not a big deal!!!

Marvin and my DD, and DIL and I (the niece and friend who were here are both pregnant, and were not playing!) had a good volleyball game going--until DIL fell over the kids picnic table!!! I did a good 15 minutes of hula hooping!!! (For you newbies, my niece and I participated in a hula hoop contest last summer!). I will have my time in by the time we lift weights tonight.

For now I better go change out some laundry. Everyone take care!

Kat

hmm laundry....:guess

Well I wasn't feeling very well today and my ankle got a little twisted with the long jump yesterday so today instead of the track I went out and did some deck gardening. Arranging my pots and plant stands a little weeding. And of course the biggie I took down all the christmas decorations. The inside was christmas free last month but the outside was as yet untouched. I just didn't have the heart to take them down, they were a cheery site for me to focus on after my mom passed. Spent a good 35+ minutes working hard out there :) And now I have scratches on my hands and dirt under my freshly manicured fingernails, lol.

Sheila:Oh I had big troubles with being good with food, although once I was approved and knew the date and was told that I have to lose some weight prior to surgery I started losing miraculously...lolDont worry the band WILL let you know if he doesnt like something,e.g. from time to time I eat to much and then its sitting there and I dont feel good.Also knowing that I have the band and that I could possibly damage it with wrong food choices and overeating that helps me to prevent it a lot.I do have some slips of course but far from how many I had before banding...I was bulimic but without throwing up...dont know how you call that.

you are losing like crazy and you even dont have the band so you are going to do just great!! Dont worry:-)

Tracy:thank you so so much for your positive response:-)But its all you guys that make me talk and look like this.All your support coming from you is changing me tremendously(mantally and physically).Im more confident and I finally know my price:-)Thank you:-)

Hi girls,

although Im not supposed to get on scales for another 2 weeks I cheated today and finally the scales moved one pound down!!!! after almost a month yepeeeee

Woooooooohoooooooo Eficka!!!!

Kat: Your life gets more and more interesting by the day! You crack me up!

TRACY - You work in the HR department of a convent??? That seems a bit odd. Payroll, benefits, etc?....for a convent?? I thought the Lord took care of all that! LOL

LOL Terri: Yup........ but we have 95 regular employees ranging from Nurses to Power Plant operators..... they refer to us as "Lay Employees", and even under the bigger picture we have 13 affiliates that include 9 hospitals... and around 7000 Lay Employees.... and our benefits kick butt!

Julie - I miss your daily exercise updates! I know you are doing well from reading all the other threads! I can just picture you walking the halls "hunched over" - reminds me of when Alan walked the halls "hunched over" (right after we had our 3rd child 41 years ago, - our second was 42 years ago, our 1st was 43 years ago - woops!) and the kids wanted to know what was wrong with "Daddy"...............we told them he got "spade"!

Mah Jongg is a game - originally from China, but altered a bit by us Americans (the Chinese version is still played)..............played with little tiles .............sort of a rummy type game (hard to describe in a few sentences)............takes a while to learn, but is so much fun. Did you see "The Joy Luck Club" - they were playing the Chinese version and made fun of the Americans! I've been playing with a group of "girls" - 6 of us - for about 5 years now - we're great friends............we go away to Mah Jongg tournaments in Las Vegas and Palm Springs - just us "girlies" - so much fun!

This morning Alan and I did our walk to and from Breakfast - almost 3 miles,.................and then this afternoon we went to see a very good movie - "The Namesake" (I loved it) and then walked several more blocks to a restaurant and back to the car - Alan is unbelievable - you would never know that 2 weeks and 3 days ago he had heart valve replacement surgery!!!

To all of you newly banded/to be banded this month - again welcome to our group............heal fast, walk, walk, walk, then run, run, run/dance/dance/dance..............get moving - it works!

Another thing that works is getting the proper fill.................I've been toying with "should I", or shouldn't I...........for a few months now.......the past couple of weeks I've all of a sudden felt no restriction............I looked up the last time I had a fill (it was my 4th) and it was October 25th!!! With all that has been happening in our lives I had no idea it had been that long ago.................so, I have an appt for next Thurs...........can't wait to get back to "that spot"! I have managed to keep my weight within a couple of lbs of 170..............but, it's been on shear willpower (as we all know that does not last too long)! So anxious to have my "tool" back!

Okay everyone... Here I am back in action. I have been away on medical appointments with my family in Montreal. It was nice weather and great to run in the warmth for a change.

I have reworked my workout schedule and feel really happy about it.

Yesterday I did a 4 km with sprints at the end of it. It felt great!!! So... I am working on a new challenge... I am thinking of training for a 1/2 marathon, but I will have to wait and see how this body adapts to the increased distance. I figure the worst that will happen is I will get a great 10 k under my belt.

Julie... I am so glad you are doing well. I have been thinking lots about you!! We seem determined to keep our weight about the same (wanna join me if I actually get to the 1/2 marathon).

How is everyone else??

Welcome to any new members out there. The road is really long, but oh so worthwhile. Someone told me yesterday that I looked petite (not really true, but it felt good)!!

Talk to you later!!!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006 (had a great bandiversary)

358/187/179

Going for GOLD!!!

Exercise sessions this month= 4 sessions

Dawn, what do you think about training for a 10K together first? I'm up for a 1/2 marathon, but I want to do a bunch of 10Ks first. I should be back up and "running" in about 6 weeks. I can't wait to put on my sneakers again.

Betty, I'm so thankful that you can't tell Alan had valve surgery 2 weeks ago. That is soooo amazing. Way to go for getting out there and walking with him so quickly. You guys are fabulous.

48 hours post op, still on pain meds, but went out for a 20 minute walk. Somebody tell me how wonderful I am!! ('cause i feel like a total exercise weenie next to you guys)

I completed my 3rd exercise session. I rode my bike to church (practicing for 1st communion/baptism/singing this Saturday) and then I rode my bike to the bank. It was neat knowing that I could easily have taken the car but I CHOSE to ride my bike. Maybe I do have some willpower... who knew?!

In all honesty, one of the man reasons I'm posting is to see my little ticker being updated. 5 DAYS PEOPLE!! I'm VERY excited. Anyway, take you ya'll soon. Guysis, that game sounds fun! Julie, you'll be running before you know it. Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

have a great day!