Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you still enjoy food?

I haven't committed to sugery yet, so I'm coming from that perspective. When I think of good times with family and friends I think of dinners, picnics, parties, and all of the many homemade dishes and treats. I think one of my fears is losing something if I go ahead, like the special occasions will be different, or I won't be able to enjoy them as much. Am I just making food play too much of a role in my life? Have any of you struggled with it? Do you still enjoy the foods you always have?

I still enjoy food very much. I look forward to eating. Haha. I just can eat more like a normal person now, and not someone who has enormous binges.

Absolutely I still enjoy food! I just eat less of it at a time.

I'm finally at a point where I actually CAN and WILL stop after just a few bites, even if it's a food I really enjoy. That's the best part of being sleeved, to me - the safety net factor. I no longer can eat a whole package of Cookies in an evening, even if I want to. I'm still a carb addict, but now I have this wonderful tool to help me control the amount I eat.

I still struggle. I have to get my eyes in line with my stomach. I was at a party on Saturday. I had to be very selective with what I chose. Throwing up in front of a group of people was not an option. Having the surgery is a big adjustment. I found that I actually do more talking while I eat rather than stuffing my face (like I used to). Ending my relationship with food has been the hardest part, but you can still enjoy food. You just enjoy it in smaller quantities and you (hopefully) make better food choices. I haven't touched sweets, rice, Pasta or bread in almost two months. It's not easy, but it's making healthier decisions that makes the reason I got the surgery all worth while. Good luck with your decision.

Absolutely LOVE food. Only difference is that I love it in MUCH smaller portions, and (for the most part) in a healthier a fashion. While I a very personal decision, I have no regrets in converting from the band to the sleeve.

Absolutely LOVE food. Only difference is that I love it in MUCH smaller portions, and (for the most part) in a healthier a fashion. While I a very personal decision, I have no regrets in converting from the band to the sleeve.

I originally wanted to go with the band, but my surgeon said he'd seen too many complications and revisions, to recommend it. Did you experience problems or just poor results?

I was a foodie before surgery - absolutely loved food. Thought about food all the time. Wanted food all the time. I was a snacker/grazer.

Post surgery - it does not rule my life. I think of it as fuel for my body. I don't eat to escape emotions any more, I don't eat because I'm anxious anymore.

I do enjoy food now - I savor my food now. I enjoy it. I'm three months out and can go to a restaurant and enjoy a small portion or split a meal with my husband and leave perfectly content. I have no restrictions on my diet other than "don't eat anything that makes you sick", so I get to try a lot of foods.

I absolutely enjoy food just as much as I did prior to sleeve surgery. I eat, but feel no guilt for the first time in my adult life. I eat less, I am choosier but I never feel deprived. I enjoy each and every bite. It feels as though I eat like a naturally thin person. Life is good.

I still enjoy food but I no longer enjoy eating too much food, which was one of my favorites. I have other favorites now though.

I enjoy food - but I don't think about it as much as I used to. When they used to bring donuts to work, I'd eat one and obsess over the thought of having a second one. Now, I don't eat many sweets, but enjoy a bite and then let it go.

One thing I will say, I went through a time after the surgery when I felt like I'd ruined the pleasure that I get enjoying food and drinks with friends. That has passed as I eat more normal food in smaller portions.

I think I enjoy food MORE! It's not the boss of me, now, so I can really just eat the things I love and not have to scarf everything in sight just because it's there. I definitely appreciate savory foods more now as opposed to sweet foods, which is new for me. I used to be able to eat a pint of Haagen-Dazs coffee Toffee Crunch in one sitting, after polishing off a Totino's pizza. I think I'd still like to try a little now and then, just in moderation. Haven't tried ice cream since surgery - I have a feeling it would float back up my esophagus at this point! :) Did try a bit of pizza yesterday and it was as delicous as I remembered.

I do yes, I love to cook always have I like to feed people not in a crazy way but a need a drink? Hungry? In a take care of you kind of way I openly admit I mother every one lol
Also hey I am 1 of 9 half Irish half Italian my mother pretty much took care of her siblings and her father at 8 years old when her mother left and come to England so it’s a complete take care of people mentality handed down to me- one way to show love and care is to feed and take care of someone.
So now I enjoy finding new recipe ideas and making them and having everyone eat it and 99% of the time they enjoy them new and interesting dishes.
I also find because we pick and choose what we eat we do enjoy it, no longer eating anything we like and not really thinking even if we do enjoy it.
it never was REALLY a conscience thought because nothing was off limits before now it is or the amount didn’t matter before it does now so whatever I decide to put in my mouth and eat I think about it first and I enjoy it.

Oh yes, food is the one thing we all share with family and friends. It is the breaking of bread and the wonderful joy most of us feel when we have made something that is really good and our family just loves that meal. I still love family dinners together and learning how everyone day went.

Funny thing is now is I am more judgemental on how my food taste. I have noticed if something has to much salt or not enough seasoning I am the first to say well it doesnt taste so good, or I am not happy with the way that turned out. It weird because I was raised on the thinking that you needed to clear that plate. Now I am making the better choices for me and my family!

food used to be very high in my list of priorities. Now at 3 months out, I think about it much less and it's no longer a form of entertainment.

I guess I still enjoy it but it matters so much less to me that it's become more of a necessity issue than a source of enjoyment.

I welcome this change and hope this lasts forever.