Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The WL Center wants me to have the sleeve.

I had my last nutrition class today. I lost 5 more pounds. The surgeon's nurse asked me am I sure I want lap band. I said Yes! She said how the success rate is poor, and how Medicare wont cover for the removal of the lap band and have another surgery. I have all the fills follow up appointments to deal with as well.

She said she thought it was in my best interest to have the sleeve. And Medicare does cover the surgery. I plan to do some research about the sleeve. I want to make the right decision for Me! But I would like your feedback.

Just do your research. My personal opinion is that, the success of a lap-band patient depends heavily on the patient's motivation and the support of the bariatric team AFTER the surgery. You need a surgeon who is still going to see you through the entire process rather than just place a band and you never see him again. Some of them have PA's or NP's that do the fills for them instead of doing themselves, which is okay IF the provider gives you the appropriate support rather than herding people through like a bunch of cattle to make more money. In the beginning, you need frequent visits(at least once a month) with the opportunity to sit down and have someone analyze what you're doing as far as exercise and food habits so that they can help you learn to work with the band and have the band work for you. I personally think that one of the reasons so many surgeons would rather sleeve a patient than to band them is because it requires less follow-up care and support from him afterwards. Having said that, I also realize that the sleeve is another great tool and does work well for a lot of people. I was actually leaning toward the sleeve until I met my surgeon. He is a lap-band patient himself and he recommended the band for me. We discussed the options at length. I did my own research and ultimately decided he was right. The band was the right choice for me. It may be the right choice for you or it may not be. Don't just research the procedures though. Find out everything you can about the bariatric practice and surgeon you're seeing and the facility where you will have your surgery. Good luck to you!

I would go with whatever was suggested, mainly because you need the followup care and something in place in case of complications. If you can't get the band and after care covered, I'd go with the sleeve. I am pro-band and have friends with the sleeve and can honestly say I am biased. Because I am supportive of anyone who makes such a life-changing decision, I say go for it. You will be better off having it than not, just follow doctor's orders and question anything that doesn't seem normal to you. I have two friends with the sleeve, they have both been successful in losing their excess weight very quickly; the problem they are experiencing is the inability to STOP losing the weight. They are both well beyond their goals (22 and 27 lbs., respectively) and one is a walking skeleton whom I'm afraid to walk by too fast for fear of making her tip over.

First of all they doctors are trying their hardest to market the sleeve because there is no follow up care on their part except post op and maybe every six months or if you run into a problem. It is not reversible. The band can come out if need be. Don't let them sell you something you don't want.

<p><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(128,0,128);">I had my last nutrition class today. I lost 5 more pounds. The surgeon's nurse asked me am I sure I want lap band. I said Yes! She said how the success rate is poor, and how Medicare wont cover for the removal of the lap band and have another surgery. I have all the fills follow up appointments to deal with as well. </span></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:rgb(128,0,128);">She said she thought it was in my best interest to have the sleeve. And Medicare does cover the surgery. I plan to do some research about the sleeve. I want to make the right decision for Me! But I would like your feedback.</span></span></p>

Hi there

My personnal opinion is that it is wrong what the nurse said to you , she is trying to sell you the sleve and lying about the poor results in the band it is up to you because the band is a tool and if you work with you band and follow the rules you will be succesfull with it, I am so happy I choose my band and if I fail it will be my fault and not the band, good luck in you journey and reserch both options and make you decision base in all the facts.

You need to realize that the sleeve is a permanent thing.. you lose 85% of your stomach.. (yikes) . What if God Forbid you get cancer or some other disease that would require you to stay nourished to survive.. (my husband had esophageal cancer and lost a ton of weight).. had he not been able to get nourishment doubt he would have made it. That is the downside of the sleeve for me. I think the Sleeve works for some just like the band works for others but I chose the band because it was minimally invasive.. have not found the follow up to be a big deal.. I have only had 3 fills (small) and I have lost almost 60 lbs..I attend a support group once a month we have sleeve and by pass patients along with bandsters. the sleeve people are complaining about feeling sick after each meal and the by pass folks are taking a butt load of Vitamins and supplements.. plus they both have dumping syndrome.. I think she is wrong about Medicare but ask someone who works with Medicare because the rules are different for different people. In the end it's what you can live with and /or live without.

I just called Medicare and explained what the W.L. Center said. I asked them if they pay for lap band complication such as erosion and slipping. That was of no help. They didn't know the answers and referred me back to the W.L. Center.

sorry that didn't help. I am not sure who would be the best person to go to for the answer. I know reading the rules and regulations will make no sense. Do they have a patient account person @ the center? if not see if the hospital has someone in their accounting department who is familiar with Medicare...

My husband and I began WL seminars 10 years ago and not until the sleeve did we decide we felt comfortable with it. The weight is dragging off slowly since August, 2013 and I doubt I will ever look like a skeleton. My husband can eat anything and is still losing, being a big man, but he is still losing slowly. We feel better than we have in many years. We would do the sleeve again in a heartbeat. Keep reading and studying the posts here and it will lead you to an informed decision. I don't have to keep going to the doctor for anything, and I never have to have surgery to remove anything. We have not had a day of being sick since one night in the hospital, Nov. 18 and Dec. 2. God bless as you go forth for the best decision for you. Linda

I just called Medicare and explained what the W.L. Center said. I asked them if they pay for lap band complication such as erosion and slipping. That was of no help. They didn't know the answers and referred me back to the W.L. Center.

You must have talked to the rare customer service rep who had no idea what they were doing. I would try again and ask specifically for someone who could explain plan benefits. This is their job, and really something they should be able to answer for you.

I recently called a health insurance provider, and they were very simply able to tell me what they approved/did not approve. What they could not answer, they transferred to a higher ranking rep in another department and stayed with me on the phone until they got on.

Medicare paid for my surgery, implanting and removing and all tests, diagnostics, fill, unfill, etc.

I don't know if I can convince my surgeon to do Lap Band on me. I was told by his staff, he really doesn't want to do them any longer. I have seen my friend who has Lap Band done struggle with what she can eat. This happens to her almost everyday. I know she is not following her Dr.'s orders.

I did call another location and asked them. They said alot of places are trying to find a way to quit doing Lap Band. The WL Centers doesnt want to deal with all the follow up care that the Lap Band requires. They said with the Sleeve, patients results don't require a lot of follow up care!

If I had my way I would have Gastric Plication, but I know Medicare doesn't pay for that. With Gastric Plication, nothing is cut, rerouted,and no foreign body implanted. The stomach is folded and sutured. It is reversible too!

I have 2 more months to decide what surgery I decided to have. I am getting very tired of my weight. I plan to follow my Dr.'s guidelines so I have good results.

My suggestion would be to go to the band to sleeve forum. Ask former bandsters their opinion. Also post on the pre surgery sleeve forum and ask for opinions of veteran sleevers.

Many hospitals are dropping band as an option. It's not the routine aftercare, it's the potential liability of late term complications...

I wish my ins had covered sleeves...

A few things to remember about the band! You are choosing a surgery that requires you to work! Lap-Band like the other surgeries are a tool! They can all fail! They can all have complications! The can all be successful! Success = Work on your part! Get your head right and you will succeed!

Lap-Band is not about restriction! It's NOT going to prevent you from eating the wrong foods! You have to make good food choices and realize that the goal of the band is to trick your brain into thinking you are full on a small amount of food! Green Zone is this.... The ability to eat 1/2 to 1 cup of food ( 3/4 of your portion is Protein and the rest is veggies and carb) and be satisfied for 4 hours! Personally this was the hardest thing for me to adhere too! Head hunger got the best of me! It was odd to me not to eat even when I wasn't hungry! But the results of following the rules are wonderful! I am losing again! I am 7 months post surgery and have lost 55 pounds! I have finally got my head in the game. I have 6.5 cc's in my 10 cc band! My surgeon said the biggest reason people fail with the bad is because they either don't understand how it works or they don't get their head in the game! I hope this helps! Good luck with your choice!