Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BariatricPal Local Chapters…a New Way to Connect!

OK Alex...looks like folks are interested. Lisa and I have been discussing the topic offline and we can certainly help with whatever you might need from us. Yes, an agenda driven meeting would be better than just sitting and chatting. It worked for us because we were a small group. Larger numbers and it runs into issues where people bunch up into smaller groups and it's just a gabfest. I very much like the idea of guest speakers from the medical community, nutrition and exercise community, and even psychological community. We could have discussions around topics we talk about here..not just what should I eat and what should I be losing but things like body image, spousal/family/friend support (or lack of) stress and avoiding emotional eating, how to deal with nosy coworkers...oh gosh there's so much out there to talk about.

Have you discussed any of this with Dr. Ren or anyone else at the practice? I'm thinking in terms of a resource of both medical professionals and bariatric patients. I understand Dr. Fielding used to take folks out to dinner to give them hints and guidance on how to eat out. Alot of people are afraid to eat out and I thought it was a great idea to take people and show them that they can eat out successfully.

I don't know if I'd want to be a leader or co-leader especially as I couldn't speak to the majority of bandsters with fills, but I'd be more than happy to work more behind the scenes in terms of organizing. I seem to be pretty good at that as long as I call ahead to make sure the cafe is actually open.... ;) OK then...just let me know what I can do to help.

You did a GREAT job Liz planning our very first NYC get together and it was fun!

Alex, I am also interested and would also be more than willing to help out in any way that I can...great idea!

I'd be interested in NEw Orleans.

Would you be interested in attending regular local chapter meetings in person?

Yes, without a doubt!

Would you be interested in being a leader (or co-leader)?

I personally would be interested in being a leader. I believe that the support groups that are in my area are very limited, and a lot of times not educational at all. The support groups in my area are most once a month with the exception of one hospital which does them weekly. I would love to start a weekly support group in my area and feel I could be very successful and have the time to dedicate towards it.

Would you like BariatricPal to provide agendas for meetings?

I am very good at planning and organizing and feel with a little guidance from BariatricPal I would be the perfect leader.

What additional support could BariatricPal provide to encourage your participation and/or leadership?

After looking online at the classes offered I would love to attend one for Leadership if the finances are available. I am a very dedicated and motivated individual.

Should there be limits on the minimum and maximum numbers of members that each Local Chapter can have?

The limit should be strictly based on room capacity. No one should be denied or limited unless max room capacity has reached it's limit. In that case a second support group a week would be idea.

What other ideas do you have?

I would like to turn my experience and knowledge from this amazing journey into a lesson for pre op and post op patients and offer them the guidance they need, which is really required with this life changing experience.

<p>Hi, BariatricPal Members,</p> <p> </p> <p>I hope you are doing well!</p> <p> </p> <p>BariatricPal provides a social platform that is safe and welcoming for the weight loss surgery community. The main goals are to provide information and encouragement needed to allow for healthy weight loss and better patient weight loss surgery outcomes. I am always trying to figure out how to improve BariatricPal to better achieve these goals, and today I am coming to you for your input on a potential new opportunity called BariatricPal Local Chapters.</p> <p> </p> <p><strong>BariatricPal Local Chapters…a New Way to Connect</strong></p> <p> </p> <p>With BariatricPal Local Chapters, you would get to meet BariatricPal members in person. This could speed up your weight loss by expanding your knowledge about success after weight loss surgery, increasing your accountability to yourself and your Local Chapter friends, improving your boosting your confidence. Plus, you might make new best friends for life! Each BariatricPal Local Chapter would be defined geographically, so that you would belong to the location nearest to your home.</p> <p> </p> <p>I am considering the following items:</p> <ul><li>Monthly or quarterly meetings.</li> <li>A fun or educational activity at each meeting. Examples include preparing a weight loss surgery-friendly meal, filling out a customized meal plan, or going for a group-wide nature walk.</li> <li>Presentations by surgeons, nutritionists, other professionals or bariatric product companies at local meetings.</li> <li>Annual national meeting of BariatricPal Local Chapters in a location such as Los Angeles, New York, or Huston.</li> <li>Option to go on an annual cruise</li> </ul><p><strong>What Do You Think about BariatricPal Local Chapters?</strong></p> <ul><li>What I would like to ask you for is what you think about the above suggestions. Also, what are your answers to the following questions?</li> <li>Would you be interested in attending regular local chapter meetings in person?</li> <li>Would you be interested in being a leader (or co-leader)?</li> <li>Would you like BariatricPal to provide agendas for meetings?</li> <li>What additional support could BariatricPal provide to encourage your participation and/or leadership?</li> <li>Should there be limits on the minimum and maximum numbers of members that each Local Chapter can have?</li> <li>What other ideas do you have?</li> </ul><p>Please join the conversation thread below to let me know what you think about BariatricPal Local Chapters. I really value and appreciate your opinions, and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts.</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks again!</p>

I love the idea. Maybe even add an annual meeting in charlotte NC or Atlanta GA area?

Would you be interested in attending regular local chapter meetings in person? Yes!!!

Would you be interested in being a leader (or co-leader)? No, just 1 week post op

Would you like BariatricPal to provide agendas for meetings? Yes to keep them organized then maybe end with optional 15-20 mins of free discussions

What additional support could BariatricPal provide to encourage your participation and/or leadership? If was closer than the options I have now I would LOVE to join

Should there be limits on the minimum and maximum numbers of members that each Local Chapter can have? NO

What other ideas do you have? Non yet. Still so new

Sounds great looking forward to continuing the support I've received from this forum in person. Maybe even a twice yearly clothing exchange. Queens New York

Love the idea of a WLS conference. Don't think we will have the volume in Scotland to have a chapter - but would happily head to the US to meet lots of familiar faces ;-)))))

Whaddya mean there's no volume in Scotland?! We're all the volume required, darlink; just the two of us :P

As for the international conference aspect?

Yeah, I could go for a bit of that.. Just as long as everyone had badges detailing their internet names. And it was made mandatory to wear them.

Why?

Well, when the fur starts flying, I want to be able to identify the main parties, recount what had 'gone down' accurately and whilst happily chomping on my protein-rich popcorn and sipping my diet margaritas, I could take bets on the 'favourite' of the day.

Win: Win :blink:

I like the idea a lot! I'm in Dallas, Texas and would love to be a co. It would be awesome to do it like a meetup group. Like someone mentioned going walking. There is a group in Dallas but they meet at restaurants and that's very off-putting to me.

I love the idea too! I would also love to be involved as a leader or co-leader. I love to help people and the past month or so I've been itching for something new to do or get involved in. When I saw this post I said "bingo, that's what I'm talking about"!! Count me in!

What Do You Think about BariatricPal Local Chapters? I love it. My surgeon's support group is a hour away so close by options would be great.

What I would like to ask you for is what you think about the above suggestions. I would start quartly and either build up to monthly or allow individual groups to advance to monthly if their members want to.

Also, what are your answers to the following questions?

Would you be interested in attending regular local chapter meetings in person? Yes

Would you be interested in being a leader (or co-leader)? Definately. I would love to pay it forward in terms of the support and shared experiences I got here.

Would you like BariatricPal to provide agendas for meetings? General topics of discussion would be great along with allowing each group to address topics of interest of their specific members.

What additional support could BariatricPal provide to encourage your participation and/or leadership? Group specific threads as a means to communicate with local members would be helpful for updates like a change in meeting time, location, etc.

Should there be limits on the minimum and maximum numbers of members that each Local Chapter can have? No but that shouldn't preclude a large group from adding a day or splitting into a couple of smaller groups if needed.

What other ideas do you have? Someone else mentioned a clothing swap, thought that was a good idea. I wonder if badges or awards could be created. If we know participation in support groups improves success, perhaps group members could earn badges on Bariatric Pal for milestones, e.g. attendance badges, 50 lbs down, maintain at goal 12 months, etc.

Let me know how I can become a co-leader or help in another way Alex. Thanks for looking for ways to improve our success.

Love the idea of a WLS conference. Don't think we will have the volume in Scotland to have a chapter - but would happily head to the US to meet lots of familiar faces ;-)))))

Whaddya mean there's no volume in Scotland?! We're all the volume required, darlink; just the two of us :P

Yeah, I could go for a bit of that.. Just as long as everyone had badges detailing their internet names. And it was made mandatory to wear them.

Why?

Well, when the fur starts flying, I want to be able to identify the main parties, recount what had 'gone down' accurately and whilst happily chomping on my protein-rich popcorn and sipping my diet margaritas, I could take bets on the 'favourite' of the day.

Volume? Volume? Between the two of us. we've lost a good sized person (we could take them with us to the conference...)

Now if you're talking quality then of course that's a different story... but let's not talk hair volume, lmao!!!!

Why?

Volume? Volume? Between the two of us. we've lost a good sized person (we could take them with us to the conference...)

Now if you're talking quality then of course that's a different story... but let's not talk hair volume, lmao!!!!

Play on words chickadee.. I was referring to our audible volume!

And yes! DON'T MENTION THE HAIR! :angry:

Why?

Just for you sweetie I will wear a placard saying that I said it, I did it, I'm sorry..as I walk into the room....Better to be humble from the get go you know then let others take you out.

Would love to see you and all the of the others that have helped me along the way!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Rev.

Why?

Just for you sweetie I will wear a placard saying that I said it, I did it, I'm sorry..as I walk into the room....Better to be humble from the get go you know then let others take you out.

Would love to see you and all the of the others that have helped me along the way!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Rev.

Aww, loves ya. You have no need for a placard, darling - unless it says simply 'Wonderful RJ'.

I could have a field day creating some for a few others though....

S'okay. You can sit next to me and help me collect the bets, chomp the popcorn and drink the margaritas. How does that sound? :D

I like the idea a lot! I'm in Dallas, Texas and would love to be a co. It would be awesome to do it like a meetup group. Like someone mentioned going walking. There is a group in Dallas but they meet at restaurants and that's very off-putting to me.

How many of that groups meetings have you been to? Are you aware that they also do weekend walks, many of the local 5k/10k/half-marathons in the area, and other fitness activities?

Have you been to any of the other groups in the DFW area?

Edited by DonRodolfo

I am considering the following items:

• Monthly or quarterly meetings.
  • A fun or educational activity at each meeting. Examples include preparing a weight loss surgery-friendly meal, filling out a customized meal plan, or going for a group-wide nature walk.
  • Presentations by surgeons, nutritionists, other professionals or bariatric product companies at local meetings.
  • Annual national meeting of BariatricPal Local Chapters in a location such as Los Angeles, New York, or Huston.
  • Option to go on an annual cruise

What Do You Think about BariatricPal Local Chapters?

• What I would like to ask you for is what you think about the above suggestions. Also, what are your answers to the following questions?

All of the above sound great! Would we be allowed to bring +1 to the cruise? Such as spouse or what if someone has children but no babysitter?

• Would you be interested in attending regular local chapter meetings in person?
  • Would you be interested in being a leader (or co-leader)?

Yes!! Absolutely.

• Would you like BariatricPal to provide agendas for meetings?

This would be ideal and very helpful.

• What additional support could BariatricPal provide to encourage your participation and/or leadership?

BariatricPal is super helpful already. Maybe a yearly conference with all of the local chapter leaders, maybe in person or on GoToMeeting would be good to share ideas/stories/etc. Also, some help with venues would be good.

• Should there be limits on the minimum and maximum numbers of members that each Local Chapter can have?

Yes, I think this should really be a stipulation. The maximum should be around 30. Any more than that and it seems like not everybody gets noticed nor the one on one that someone should get in a live support group setting.

• What other ideas do you have?

Setting up different meetings tailored to individual needs such as pre-op, post-op, over 1 year post-op, longer and perhaps by surgery type though I would not be opposed to running any of the above. Also perhaps special sessions for people who are struggling and need help with getting back on track, weight gain, transfer addictions or other.