Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for those One Year post-op.

I have come to terms with all of the short-term post-op issues. Now I am envisioning life one, two, three years after surgery. Would you vets answer the following questions? I apologize for what seems to be rapid fire questions in bullet point form. It's how my left side dominate brain organizes information. <smiles>

Can you eat a whole apple?

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort?

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner?

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss?

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout?

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with?

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious?

Thanks!

I will be 3 years out in May...

Can you eat a whole apple? Probably. I usually eat about 3/4 of an apple and I am comfortable. If I tried to eat it first thing in the morning I could probably only eat a couple of slices because my sleeve is tight in the mornings.

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort? Just a little. A few bites of rice or Pasta is all I can eat, it still fills me up really quickly. I try to eat Protein first most of the time and then I don't have a lot of room for rice and pasta.

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner? No, but that's because I don't ever drink alcohol. I didn't drink before my sleeve either so it's not a sleeve thing.

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss? Only positively for me, thankfully. I have wonderful family and friends and they have all been supportive of me in this journey.

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout? Not as quickly as I could before surgery but much quicker than I could right after surgery. I drink a lot of Water every day, at least 128 ounces so I'm drinking all the time.

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with? Probably exercise and shopping. My emotional eating still rears it's ugly head sometimes. I think it's something I will have to deal with for life. For the most part I can keep it at bay and I have worked hard to learn to do other things instead of eating to deal with my emotions, but I am not perfect.

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious? Not anymore. I did at first. I can eat just about anything now and I am used to eating small portions so it's not something that I really think about anymore. The key is to learn how to eat and control your eating/emotions in the first year. After a year or two (for some, much sooner) usually your ability to eat all the slider foods comes back and you can actually fit quite a bit of sliders in your sleeve. Learning to eat Protein first, then veggies and small amounts of carbs is key. Eat clean and healthy and change your lifestyle.

I'm only at month 9, but if you'll allow me to put in, I can answer to my experiences.

Just in the last month I can eat a whole apple -- although I like small gala apples. However, prior to a month ago I could only eat a portion of a small apple.

I have had a bite or two of rice and Pasta here and there, and have not ever eaten enough to feel discomfort. I don't think it would bother me unless I ate a bunch. That's why I stay the hell away from rice and pasta! LOL

I do have wine before dinner occasionally, and sometimes I've had other alcohol. I just don't have beer or champagne, because the bubbles are definitely uncomfortable. I don't have wine (or any liquid) with dinner, or for 30 minutes afterwards.

I am able to drink Water quite comfortably -- usually. I've always been a big Water drinker, and when I'm thirsty I like to take several big sips. I would say after I was pretty much healed (couple of months) I could, on most days, drink water like I always have. Some days, inexplicably, big gulps are uncomfortable. Who knows why. So I always 'test it out' before I down several sips at once.

Not really an emotional eater....

And no sadness really about not being able to eat large portions. Maybe more like frustration sometimes. And it's not that I can't eat a large portion. I've learned to eat "gourmet style" -- you know, small amounts of really good food. I find that no matter how delicious something is, when I'm full, I'm full. The frustration I think is just that it is SO DIFFERENT to the relationship I used to have with food. I just have to get used to getting satisfaction from eating quality food and not from the quantity. It's such a change and takes some getting used to. But ya know, before surgery I knew I would be changing my relationship with food, and that's what I absolutely 100% WANTED -- was to not enjoy so much damn food! LOL.

The frustration is also in the cooking....I spend a lot of time to prepare a nice meal for my husband and myself, and then I just seem to get full so quickly. It seems like a waste of time to have spent time preparing the meal if I'm going to be done so fast.

I am 14 months out.

Yes I can eat a whole apple.

I can eat Pasta without problems but choose not to most of the time. Rice still doesn't feel good.

I can drink wine, champagne and beer even but the alcohol does affect me quicker.

I can drink Water fast without problem.

I don't have any sadness because and will even sit with other people while they eat, but this probably varies greatly depending on your personality.

You can STILL eat many of the things you love.... just a lot less of it.

I am almost 1 year out and I will answer this to let you in on how I am doing.

Can you eat a whole apple? Yes

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort? Yes, I can eat these, however, eating too much of it is not good for weight loss. I know of some people who can not tolerate these foods with the sleeve and some that can only slightly tolerate it. Then there are others, like me who can eat this just fine.

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner? I am not a drinker so I no wine for me, but I do have drinks with my meals. Is it a no-no? I think this is dependent upon who you ask. Also, I have noticed that when I do have drinks with my meals it fills me up faster so I dont eat as much- but then I do get hungrier later on.

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss? Everyone around me has been real supportive. I have been honest with those close to me as much as I wanted them to know without becoming the 'food police' over me. My relationship with my husband has improved and so has our late night activities ;)

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout? I can down a 16 oz bottle of Water in 10 minutes. A glass... maybe 5 min

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with? This is a good one. I am still struggling with this. As I ate out of boredom, stress, excitement, and sadness. The boredom usually exists when I am at the computer typing and that is here to stay. I have to always have something to drink next to me, and I am not talking about Crystal Crack (Crystal Lite). The a drink like water with frozen blueberries often will fill me up and keep me hydrated.

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious? Oh boy! I did at first. I was a huge foodie and loved really good foods. In fact food was often seen as a good friend back then. It really hit me when I was able to move into solid foods and hubby started making Texas sized steaks (that cover the whole dinner plate) and I looked at it as if I could still eat it all, but physically i couldn't and it didn't quite register in my brain that it wasn't possible. When Fondue night came around a buffet of little delights was all around me and all i could do was nibble on a few things while everyone else was gorging themselves full with delight. I WANTED TO BE LIKE THAT at that time period but ONLY in that moment. That was when I realized that I did have an eating problem and I let my emotions take over me. Not only was I eating HUGE portions but I would often eat to feel happy. I think around 5 months PO I became more settled with the thought that this was indeed permanent and old behaviors fell to the way side and new behaviors kicked in.

1. Nope but I bring up a lot of fruits in general
2. nope don’t eat it anyway but have tried here and there with rice and no.
3. don’t like wine so no again lol but I do go out here and there and have a alcoholic drink or 5 yes
4. in general all are fine only 1 slightly snidey person but that more on her and her body image not me.
5. No I don’t drink Water at all but gulping hurts so I personally don’t, no
6. No I wasn;t so no replacement behaviour
7. Nah I will eat a small bit of that something delicious and be just fine. Chirstmas dinner this year was my only hmm just for christmas dinner I wanted it back lol

I am 15, almost 16 months out, and still losing an average of about 5-7 pounds per month. Here are my answers:

Can you eat a whole apple? Maybe if it were a really small apple, I buy pre packaged apple slices with Peanut Butter, usually 1/3 to 1/2 an apple per package. It doesn't fill me up to FULL, but I don't like to feel FULL anymore, it's not a satisfying feeling anymore like it was before the sleeve.

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort? Yup. I had Gnocci for dinner tonight. Usually it has to have a lot of sauce mixed with it, plain white rice or Pasta with no sauce doesn't go good, but as long as there is anough moisture mixed in, it goes good.

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner? Not 'with dinner', I don't drink during meals, it's uncomfortable and fills me up too fast and makes me full for less amount of time. But yes, I do drink wine before and after meals, but I can't drink 1/4 as much as before the surgery. Alcohol affects me a lot faster now, so usually 1 full glass and I'm already drunk.

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss? Family wise, everyone is super supportive and great, friend wise, it's a mixed bag, some people have blown me off, you do get the weird jealous people that come out of the woodwork. Some people are more supportive. Very few people in my life know I did this though. I've definately become more outgoing as I'm more confident so I've made a lot more friends in the past year than I have in awhile.

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout? Yes, but not as fast. I do a no-no and LOVE straws. I still drink from a straw and never really quit even immediately after surgery. I have drank too much too fast before and caused myself some pain, but live and learn!

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with? I'm a stress eater, and I've replaced it with walking away. I've really gotten a better handle on ways to deal with stress before it gets to that level, but I will still sometimes grab an ice cream or other junk snack slider and have an emotional pity party, but not nearly as much as before.

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious? Nope. If it's something amazing I will wait until I digest and then eat more, or I will wrap it up and take it for later, but typically if you eat until you're full then wait to digest and go back for more the appeal isn't there as much as it was to begin with.

Loved this post. Thanks. I appreciate the post opers responses-all very helpful and thank you for sharing your insight. Its a strange and wonderful.path after only 3 months I am down 46 lbs. The whole thing blows my mind-I love it and wish all of you great success. Thanks for your perspective.

I'll be three years out in May. At goal two years in March.

Can you eat a whole apple? YES, a smaller one. I prefer them without the peel now.

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort? A small serving, about 1/2 cup.

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner? I don't drink with dinner, but I do drink before dinner once or twice per week.

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss? So far so good.

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout? YES, about 1 cup.

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with? Exercise, playing games, doing something nice for myself.

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious? No. I'm sad I can't eat an unlimited amount of junk and stay at goal, but I don't know anyone who can, so I'm dealing with it.

Thank You for these great responses! All of your words and experiences are very helpful for me in solidifying the picture I have in my head of life with a sleeve.

I think at this point I am afraid of feeling sad/frustrated about the small portion size of certain foods. For instance, I keep thinking about this chicken cordon bleu that I make at home. It is so delicious that sometimes I will skip all the other side dishes and just eat three of those. I don't know why my mid is stuck on that. I think I just get so much enjoyment out of cooking and eating really great food that it is a bit depressing to think I may only be able to eat half of one roll.

I know that sacrifices have to be made, and I'm willing to do it. I just don't want to find myself on the other end of this surgery depressed and regretting my decision because I can't eat a whole cordon bleu roll. I am trying to keep in my mind that saying "Nothing tastes as good as Skinny feels". I really hope this is true.

Thanks again for the insight!

Edited by Butterflyhigh

Great questions. Thanks so much for everyone's responses! Very insightful information!!

I have come to terms with all of the short-term post-op issues. Now I am envisioning life one, two, three years after surgery. Would you vets answer the following questions? I apologize for what seems to be rapid fire questions in bullet point form. It's how my left side dominate brain organizes information. <smiles>

Can you eat a whole apple?

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort?

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner?

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss?

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout?

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with?

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious?

Thanks!

I'll be four years out on June 11th:

* i can eat an entire small apple

* Pasta & rice are dangerous for me. 1/4 cup of pasta is fine. 3 TB rice is ok. One bite too many IS one bite too many. I hope this never changes, I don't want to be able to eat much of either.

* One day I woke up and could drink normally, no more sipping

* I have an occasional drink, maybe one every month or two. Not often and I always log it, it has to fit within my daily caloric intake.

* I am still an emotional eater, but I stay within my 1300 calories per day, even on emotional days. I seldom EVER am over.

* My close relationships have not been affected, but I know some people experience this. Without a doubt, I know there are a few friends who are envious, but they could do the same thing, and they'd have ME to hold their hand and personal cheerleader!!

* I do not miss being able to eat more food at all. I pray that I can never eat more than I can now. I feel no guilt for the first time in my adult life! I never feel deprived!!!

I hope this helps!!!!

I'm almost 14 months post op.

Can you eat a whole apple? Yes, easily.

Can you eat rice and Pasta without discomfort? Yes, no discomfort for me. I can eat anything.

Do you ever have the occasional glass of wine with dinner? Once or twice. I used to love wine, but lately it just tastes bitter to me. I don't think this is a sleeve issue.

How have your close relationships been effected by your weight loss? I don't think they have been affected much, honestly. I'm a bit more confident in my day to day encounters, but that's about it.

Are you able to quickly drink a glass of Water on a hot day or after a workout? Yes, not a problem.

If you were an emotional eater, what behavior have you replaced the emotional eating with? Shopping

Do you have any sadness associated with the inablilty to eat a large portion of something incredibly delicious? No, not at all. Maybe a little in the beginning. I'm content with the amount of food I can eat. Not too much, not too little.