Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe acid reflux/heartburn, 5 months out..help!

So I'm just under 5 months post op from my surgery and I've been doing AWESOME. After 2 fills, I reached green, and have been steadily losing (I'm down 75lbs so far). My last fill was December 4th and I have had no issues since then...that is until this week. Sunday night, I started to have HORRIBLE reflux problems and pain after eating. I have had constant heartburn since then. Prior to my surgery, I had bad reflux and I was on Prilosec daily for years. Since I had the surgery, my reflux had totally disappeared and I hadn't had to take anything for it. I've eaten so many tums in the last 5 days and nothing touches it. I've tried taking Zantac twice a day with no relief, and today I started back on my Prilosec, which will take days to work. The pain is weird...I will be fine as long as my stomach is empty, but as soon as I start to eat, the reflux starts up with a vengeance. I don't think it's an ulcer because typically ulcers are the opposite; pain until you eat, then relief. I called my surgeon's office and they were unable to get me in today, but I'm going tomorrow at 11am to IR and they're going to look at it and do what they need to do. I'm hoping I just need an unfill and that's all. Please say a little prayer for me that it's not a slip, although I have no other slip symptoms (no vomiting, severe pain, etc). My stomach/throat just feel like they are are FIRE.

All you vets..what do you think?? How could I be fine for so long after a fill and be having issues now?

Edited by SarahRN482

I know it's gross, but when I get wicked acid reflux Gaviscon works for me. Your going to look like a rabid dog though because it foams up in your mouth as you chew. Good luck,

Best wishes, maybe you need a slight unfill. sometimes takes a while to find out. Karen

I'm glad you called your doctor! Hopefully, a little bit of an unfill is all you need. Keep us updated!

So I'm just under 5 months post op from my surgery and I've been doing AWESOME. After 2 fills, I reached green, and have been steadily losing (I'm down 75lbs so far). My last fill was December 4th and I have had no issues since then...that is until this week. Sunday night, I started to have HORRIBLE reflux problems and pain after eating. I have had constant heartburn since then. Prior to my surgery, I had bad reflux and I was on Prilosec daily for years. Since I had the surgery, my reflux had totally disappeared and I hadn't had to take anything for it. I've eaten so many tums in the last 5 days and nothing touches it. I've tried taking Zantac twice a day with no relief, and today I started back on my Prilosec, which will take days to work. The pain is weird...I will be fine as long as my stomach is empty, but as soon as I start to eat, the reflux starts up with a vengeance. I don't think it's an ulcer because typically ulcers are the opposite; pain until you eat, then relief. I called my surgeon's office and they were unable to get me in today, but I'm going tomorrow at 11am to IR and they're going to look at it and do what they need to do. I'm hoping I just need an unfill and that's all. Please say a little prayer for me that it's not a slip, although I have no other slip symptoms (no vomiting, severe pain, etc). My stomach/throat just feel like they are are FIRE.

All you vets..what do you think?? How could I be fine for so long after a fill and be having issues now?

I am not a physician...however I had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with gastritis. I had to go through a 2 month treatment with carafate. It brought almost instantaneous relief from the pain.

Best wishes to feel better fast...

Carafate is great. but the purpose of it is to help if you have a ulcer. it fills in where the ulcer is and helps protect your ulcer from acid. good you are seeing your doctor. I hope its'something easy to treat. good luck and let us know

Good luck today -- let us know how it goes. And congratulations on your weight loss and newly-banded life. Don't worry, this is a small hurdle and you did the exact right thing -- calling your doctor. Best wishes!

Carafate is great. but the purpose of it is to help if you have a ulcer. it fills in where the ulcer is and helps protect your ulcer from acid. good you are seeing your doctor. I hope its'something easy to treat. good luck and let us know

Sorry Terry. Carafate is not just used for ulcers, but to provide a protective coating to the inflamed tissues that have not yet developed into an ulcer.

My first hand experience with carafate, as perscribed by my bariatric surgeon, was to calm everything down and alleviate the pain. It helped immensely, with no recurrence of inflammation or pain.

And BTW, I did't see any medical doctor or pharmacist credentials in your signature...J/S.

Edited by ♥ Sojourner ♥

My advice is never to go straight for meds, it would always be to go and see your doctor, so I'm glad your doing that. You have tried to self medicate and it didn't work out so the best thing is to check in with your doctor so they can find out what's going on.

A slight unfill might be what the Dr. orders but who knows...either way though while your waiting to get to your Dr. I would go back to band basics and eat lightly maybe just have a Protein shake and steer clear of fruits vegetables and acid producing things like coffee and tea.

I would eat soft Proteins and things of that nature until you are able to get to the Dr. Let us know how your doing and feel better soon!!

So here's my update!

I called my surgeon's office this morning and spoke with his nurse prior to my IR appointment. I told her again my symptoms and how I really do not feel my reflux is due to the band being too tight. I told her the only time I have issues is when I eat (literally as soon as I swallow a first bite, the pain is there). I told her that I think I may have gastritis (I'm an RN, so she knows I kinda know what I'm talking about even though I work with heart patient's and not GI stuff lol). I asked her to please talk with the doc before I went into the hospital to get registered and dropped $650 to get Fluid taken out of my band and then that not be the issue. She said she didn't blame me for wanting to try the least invasive treatment first, so that's what we did. I'm currently on carafate 4 times a day, and even after one dose I've had so far today, I can tell a HUGE improvement.

Tonight, I had another thought though, while I was TMI!!! on the toilet. I have had MAJOR Constipation issues. I have tried everything possible to help, from Miralax to Colace to Sennakot to Fleets enemas and suppositories. I've even started eating chia seeds in the mornings in my yogurt because I've heard that helps. I drink at least 64oz of Water per day, most days closer to 100oz, so know it's not a hydration issue. Before my surgery, I could drink 2 cups of coffee and poop every morning like clockwork. Not so much now! After I had a BM tonight, I felt SO much better. I almost wonder if the constipation isn't exacerbating the reflux?

excuse me but I never claimed to have a medical degree. I used to take Carafate for many years due to a ulcer. once that ulcer healed my gi doc. told me not to use it because it disguises potential health issues. and please believe me I have many gi issues. so I will give advice where I can from my own expierence but I always always tell anyone to talk to their doctor about problems they maybe having and this is exactly why. one doctor has their ways to treat thing while another dr. has their way. and I did say Carafate was a great medication. it helped me a lot

Sorry Terry. Carafate is not just used for ulcers, but to provide a protective coating to the inflamed tissues that have not yet developed into an ulcer.

My first hand experience with carafate, as perscribed by my bariatric surgeon, was to calm everything down and alleviate the pain. It helped immensely, with no recurrence of inflammation or pain.

And BTW, I did't see any medical doctor or pharmacist credentials in your signature...J/S.