Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band complications now getting rebanded 2/28/14

I have had so may complications with my lap band over the past 2 years Its come to the time where I have to have it replaced. It started out by me getting a hernia from the orginal surgery in 2010. The doctor was trying to give me a fill and the hernia was sitting on top of my port so when he thought he was "drainging" my hernia he was actully drainging my band this was in 2012. So I had to start all over again with fills. My doctor didn't think at that time he was draing my band. well I didnt have any restriction for almost 6 months so I was questioning him every visit with whats going on why am i gaining and having no restrictin? So next visit he got into the port and pulled eveything out and seen I didnt have much Fluid in my band, So then he thought ok come in weekly for fills so I did and as long as I came in weekly I had restriction. I maintained my weight but wasent losing. After awhile my port became hard to find unknown at that time why. I was having fills under fluro with no problems but it cost so much to have a fill under fluro with my doctor. So after 4 fills under fluro I stopped going to the doctor for about 2 months I lost my dad so I became depressed and decided not to go. Once I snapped out of the depression I had gained 20 lbs and need to get back on track now it 2014 and I go in for a fill and the dr can not access my port once again. So we go to the fluro and come to find out my port has flipped and my band has a leak in it and has detatched from my muscle and is litterly floating around so everytime my Dr tried to flip the port it would just move away. So frustrating. So after a call into my insurance and a month of waiting later they have approved me for a band replacement. Im just nervous this could all happen again. My first year with the band was the best I lost 100 lbs and everything was great. Now i'm fighting to get that back. in total I lost 124 lbs and have gained 30lbs back with all these complication over the past 2 years. I am wondering of anyone else has had any of these issues and if there outcome was better after the 2nd time around?

Wow, you sound like the patient who ran into the TRIFECTA of all things that can derail the band?

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery -- and I'm so sorry for everything you've been through. Still, you have done an amazing job with the weight loss. I'm glad you're in good hands and taking steps to ensure your healthy future. Best wishes to you and keep us posted! At least you know what you're in for -- this will be a piece of cake compared to what you've been through.

Hello, I have had the Lap Band for almost two years. In the beginning I lost 52 lbs in around six months. Every time after that I would go in for a fill and it was good for about a week and then no restriction. I am not at my at the highest fill yet but very frustrated as I have gained some weight back. I am seriously thinking about having it removed and having the sleeve done. I know there are lots of pro's and con's with all the surgeries but I need to do something soon. I feel like a failure....I am an emotional eater and I always want the feeling of feeling full...Ugh Anyone else thinking on the same lines as me? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi there, you are in good company as far as emotional eating goes. It really helped me to see a therapist and sort through the eating and hunger issues. We really broke it down so I could identify very specific triggers then work to rewire my responses. I used food to tamp down a whirring of anxiety inside me. Now I notice this and try to listen in to what is really going on. There will always be stress -- work stress, money stress, family stress, etc. -- and of course the soothing with food doesn't even really work. I found out I was prepping myself with food before having to do something that causes me anxiety -- in my case a conference call for work or having to deal with some family issue, worrying over other people's feelings, other people's lives. Also I'd reward with food after a meeting or being on the road, getting myself a treat. Just identifying my weak behaviors and fully noticing them then listening underneath the chatter has helped me tremendously. What are your triggers?

I was banded in Nov. 2008. I started real slow. Most times I will go to the dr, they would not fill me. I wasn't educated on what to do. The support group at the hospital did not have banders in it at all. I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, but it was so hard. And my emotional eating made it harder. Sometimes I would want to eat things that was apart of my old life, only to have them stuck all the time. It took me about a year in a half to get my system going. That's when I had an issue with my band that caused it to get stuck. I couldn't keep down Water. The emergency surgeon removed all my Fluid. When I went back to my surgeon, they slowly started putting fluid back in, but no one educated me on this being a normal process. I felt so alone on the process. Then I asked to have fluid removed, because I was tired of throwing up when I ate. Not realizing that it was the wrong foods for my body. Well my fluid was almost all the way out, and the almost 60 pounds I lost was nearly back on. We are 3yrs later. My mother was dying, I lived so far away and i was in a international long distance relationship. Needless to say, I was unable to keep the weight off. After my mom died, I moved back home to take care of my disabled brother. My soon to be husband hesitantly moved here. He hated it for the first 6 mons and let me know everyday. I was stressed cause I didn't have a job, he didn't have a job. It was awful. No job, no insurance. What does someone that stress eats do... eat. So now its 2014, I have a new look on life and all things related to looking weight. I have a new job, but my insurance doesn't kick in until next month. I paid for my fill out if pocket, cause I have to get back on track. I hate that I have had this band for so many years and haven't lost more than 100 pounds, when I know it can be done. But I am determined to give this band my all before I decide on any thing else. I have some restrictions. Monday the plan is full liquids. Everyone talks about going to the basics. So that's the plan. My prayer is that I can do this.