Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my first day preop diet

Hi. I went to my first weigh-in and "Educational Class" today. I loved it. So much support and it was great to see the people who had surgery just yesterday and people who are in all phases of the process (months to surgery to 6 mos post surgery). This class is "taught" by the surgeon who will do my surgery. So informative.

I am starting my 1200 calorie/day diet for this week. I have to lose 1 pound by next Tuesday, February 24. Then on the 24th I have to start my 2-weeks of Optifast 800 calorie/day diet for two weeks before surgery. Never thought I'd be so worried about losing 1 pound. But have to do it because if not my surgery will be delayed into April.

FYI my surgery is scheduled for March 10th.

Getting really anxious. Once again I wonder how it could feel so close yet so far away.

There are 3500 calories in one lb. So over the course of seven days... you can do one of the following 3 things....

1. Eat 500 calories less per day x 7 days = 3500 calories... one lb lost!!! OR......

2. Burn an extra 500 calories a day x 7 days (through exercise)

3. Eat 250 calories less per day and burn an extra 250 calories per day x 7 days

You got this! Good luck.

I sure hope so. Nervous but gonna give it my all. Thanks so much for the info.

I started my pre-op diet today as well.....I feel so hungry already I don't know how I'm going to survive!!

Jlperalta1833 you are going to do great!

Just remember the outcome...

A healthy beautiful you!

I am new here too

I only have went to the informational session and got my application...

YOU GOT THIS!!

:-) :-) ;-)

I actually did good today, so far. I had 3 strawberries for Breakfast. Went to Applebee's for lunch and had their Under 550 Savory Cedar Plank Salmon. Ate the whole piece of salmon but only a couple bites of the veggies. Been drinking Water throughout the day. Also had two small pieces of unsweetened dried mango for a snack. Thinking of having a salad for dinner with some Protein. I'll keep everyone updated on how it's going throughout the week.

Thank you all so much for the support and encouragement.

Hi - I am new to this forum - just started my pre-op 7 day liquid diet yesterday - not too bad - but I go a slight touch of the flu - so that didn't help - or maybe it will - lol - feeling better today - and surprisingly not hungry - so that is good - we'll see as the week progresses. My sleeve surgery is next Tuesday - very excited to begin this new journey!!

I started my pre-op diet today too. I was doing ok but now I'm hungry and cranky. It doesn't help that I'm cooking dinner for my family right now and it smells good. Sigh. 13 more days!

Vdub - you can do it - I am going on day 4- surprisingly not hungry - just try to keep busy - that helps too - - drink chicken broth in between - the warmth helps the stomach feel better/full - only like 10 or 15 calories in a can - It has helped me - :)

What date is your surgery? I am here for support!

Edited by wendy1622

Vdub - you can do it - I am going on day 4- surprisingly not hungry - just try to keep busy - that helps too - - drink chicken broth in between - the warmth helps the stomach feel better/full - only like 10 or 15 calories in a can - It has helped me - :) What date is your surgery? I am here for support!

My surgery is March 5th. I am doing much better today than yesterday and hoping I will continue to adjust to the pre-op diet. Carb withdraw is no joke! I'm very excited for surgery but can feel myself starting to get a little nervous as it gets closer!

Finished day 3 of my 1200 calorie/day diet. Actually doing good. Except last night I couldn't stop thinking about Taco Bell. Not sure why that but my mind wouldn't let it go. I have been going walking at the track with my best friend in the mornings and that really helps. Plus keeping busy also helps. We'll see how it goes as it heads to next week and my 800 calorie/day Optifast diet. Just taking it one day at a time.

I'm on day 4 of my liquid diet and man oh man... It's tough. Last night I went to sleep dreaming of celery... And ranch. Anything other than Protein and Water at this point. Gah. My surgery date is 3/3 and it can't come soon enough. Anybody ever freak out at the hospital and need to be drugged? I'm already planning to take Xanax the night before. Really don't want to make a fool of myself in the hospital.

Have you guys got sugar free popclicles? They are great and Jello. Help with the cranky feelings. You will hate them by 2 weeks post op but have the honeymoon now! I loved jello sugar free pudding rice especially. I don't like sweet stuff that much but it helps. Keep strong I am 10 months out and at goal weight for 2 months.

You will do great and one pound will not be a problem. sugar free Popsicles, SF Jello and chicken broth made it so much easier to do. Get some of the SF calorie free flavoring to help get rid of the "fackie Shakie" taste of the Optifast shakes. After a few days, you will find your groove and before you know it... You will be done.

I am just 4 days post-op, so the preop wasn't too far in the past:-)

HW: 291

SW: 259

CW: 254