Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anything more depressing...

I have investigated the extensions for sparse hair and am willing to take my chances. If all else fails, a wig could work. And I have taken tons of Biotin in the past. Never noticed a difference. Sigh.

Well, it appears that bang on the four month mark it started.. and we're now at the 5 month mark and its going apace!

The pre-surgery photo? Yes, that was a grown out bob. The bob when it was done was shaved up the back. Bloody Vidal Sassoon!

Maybe I'll go for the trim first.. Lose three-four inches and see where I am with it...

Being an all or nothing girl, its either long hair.. or its short hair.. But seeing as I'm thinning at the sides and front.. I reckon I'll be knackered on all fronts!

Shoulder- skimming and layered - covers all bases....

.... that's my tuppence worth :-)

the front for me was the last to start going so it wasn't till the hairdresser put a mirror up to show me my hair cut did i see exactly how much i had lost all over, i mean i knew my ponytail was thinner i just didn't know because i can't see the back of my head with my own eyes!

I'm 3 1/2 mos post sleeve and my hair has changed drastically. It's dry and brittle and is falling out too. I'm trying to condition it as little as possible and wear it just twisted up in a loose French twist to go out of the house. It seems the tighter I wear it ( like in a ponytail) the more falls out. Friends are constantly picking loose hair off my back. I'm scared of what is to come as well.

Another product that works great is Nioxin. Your hair dresser can buy it for you. It is a Shampoo, conditioner and a leave in spray! I've been having great results with it!!! Give it a try! I also continue to take Biotin!

Another product that works great is Nioxin. Your hair dresser can buy it for you. It is a Shampoo, conditioner and a leave in spray! I've been having great results with it!!! Give it a try! I also continue to take Biotin!

I've got a three month supply of minoxil sitting in my cupboard.. But I read that your hair falls out when you start to use it, the regrowth is like baby hair and the moment you stop using it, all the regrowth falls out... I have also been swallowing Biotin since 2 months before the surgery.... Bah humbug!

Someone posted on a threat that they were prescribed cortisone injections to the scalp from their doctor... Might see if I can tap up the bankrupt NHS to see if they'd consider prescribing it...

Thanks for the heads up. If I had black hair there are cute wigs. I have thin blonde hair and the shiny blonde wigs look like old ladies would wear. Never mind I am an old lady at 67, I just don't think I am wanting to look like an old lady in a wig. I have a pretty long red wig I bought for Halloween. I swear I will wear if need be. I read some movie star had her extensions taken our with pliers??? Not going that route. Cheers to hair. Wear a visor when need be. We will survive.

If there was actually an effective cure for this hair loss, someone would be selling it to us and to all the folk that lose their hair for other reasons. But there's not.

Different things may alleviate how your hair looks. I used Toppik and that has made my hair look thicker than it is, another friend had laser treatment to stimulate the hair follicles to restart the growth phase quicker. Biotin, Nixon etc can help the hair that's coming in but nothing can stop the shedding. It's the amount that will vary for each of us...

So the reality is that until the hair stops shedding and grows back, there's little can be done to stop it. Stress doesn't help so big breaths... and relax. I got to the point of thinking I would have to buy a wig - and suddenly that's when the regrowth appeared.

I hated this aspect of the surgery but have patience, it does pass - as they say, there's no such thing as a free lunch and that's the price paid for this or any other major surgery .... Hang in there ;-)

Edited by Indigo1991

oh my God...this is scary...I think I will buy a wig and start using it before I loose my hair...

loosing all hair is terrible....I had my lap band and I did loose some hair...but not all!!!

I did everything that was suggested - had access to the best products and I still lost almost half of my hair - which is really long - it was so thin I was afraid I would have to cut it.....luckily my connections to the hair industry helped - I did get extensions - not the kind that are sewn in but the ones that come in small clumps of hair of probably 20-30 strands - they are all individually attached to my existing hair - and it has worked wonders. Kept what hair I had from falling out so quickly - I have had a few put in over the last few months to keep it full - and now I see the new growth.....finally!!!

I too started losing hair at about 4-5 months out. Nothing slowed it down and I didn't realize how bad it was until I took a picture of my head from the side to se how a Barrett looked and caught a glimpse of the back of my head. I was so completely shocked to see the scalp showing through in several places!! Sat down and cried right there. Then I called my daughter in law( who is a hair dresser) made an appt and we decided to go short. Above. The shoulders. Which is very short for me. Always have had long hair. (You know, to hide my fat, at least in my mind lol. )2

No regrets at all! Still have some fallout but at almost 11 months out it has slowed down. Protein protein protein for me.

I just try very hard to look at where I've come in my journey and where my end goal will bring me and I know that all this is definitely worth it! Would not hesitate to make this decision if I knew all I'd face cuz I'm still down 82 lbs and know I couldn't have done it without this surgery to give me the tools I needed and believe I'll make it the next 60 lbs (eventually). It's slow but still coming off so I'm happy.

It gets better. :-)

You can get nip in at costco or Amazon for way less get the conditioner, too ????