Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need motivation

As I read these wonderful post, I feel inspired again. I am only 9 months out and 50 pounds down. Before I had the sleeve I had low self-esteem, so what people thought and said were very important to me. After the surgery it was the same. So when a nurse told me that I wasn't doing so well loosing, I let that get to me. I figure that she knew better since she had seen so many people through this surgery. I assumed that this wasn't the tool for me and went back to eating out but of course in small portions. I found that candy and chips didn't make me sick and took up less space. I stopped cooking. I have found this site to be so motivating that I am going to try to get back on track. I have not been back to the doctor since late November. I am going to bite the bullet and go back. Hopefully the nurse will not comment on my lack of scale movement. I am going to follow some of the suggestions that I have found on these blogs and workout. It is still hard for me, because I still find myself lacking motivation. I know I can't blame this on anyone but me and I need to fix my environment. I am not sure how long that will take but at least now I am willing to try. So it's a shake for Breakfast, chicken and veggies for lunch and dinner. If anyone has any advice on what to eat to make this interesting please let me know. Thanks for letting me rant a little, I feel a bit alone in this.

I am so thankful to have found this post. I am literally in the same boat as you. I am 9m post op and down 61lbs. I seriously feel and do exactly as your post. I just emailed my doctor tonight for guidance.

the sleeve surgery is a slower weightloss. Just by its nature. I am 15months out. I have "only" lost 86 poiunds. I have been fighting 5 pounds I gained the last couple of months. I know it is eating wrong and not being more active. By the time we all got to this point we have tried so much and have been told or read everyting there was about losing weight. It all comes down to finding it within ourselves. I am a cookieaholic,,,love crunchy buttery Cookies but I know I can have a few and that is it.Even with the surgey there is no magic bullet. We all know people who have had this surgey and the bi-pass and have gained the weight back. I wish you both lots of motivation and get out there and move. I know how hard it is I have terrible knees and am working out some exercises/routines that do not involve pressure on the knees..

As for making it interesting I say add the spices but find something other than food as first and foremost in our minds.

Good for you Dream. Your sleeve is always there ready for you to maximize its use. I have found group exercise works for me- working out with a friend, a personal trainer, or a class helps me. If left on my own, I simply won't do anything. This came through a process of self discovery after trying different types of programs, e.g. workout DVDs, C25K running app, etc. Use this time that you have recommitted to finding out what you "thing" is.

food doesn't have to be totally boring to be successful but keeping it simple definitely helps. Like you, I usually start the day with a shake or Protein Bar. I stock up on easy foods like cheese sticks, Greek yogurt, different types of easily prepared Protein (turkey, chicken, eggs, tofu, salami, tuna, etc). I'm on a salad kick right now so last night was taco salad, the day before was Asian chicken salad, and tomorrow will be kale salad. I use my fitness pal to track my protein and carbs. I also attend a bariatric support group. I have found that hearing other people's journeys and getting to know other WLS folks face to face helps me too. So sleeve+exercise+tracking food+support= success for me. Explore your options and then share your recipe for success with us. You got this!

Erp is dead on! Those are basically all the things I have been doing too. My fitness pal is what I use too. My user ID is presmariazoe. Feel free to add me as a friend for support! ???? Also, be sure to drink your fluids! Good luck. Hang in there. You CAN do this!!

Dream, I am only 4 weeks post-op and I can see how I could slip into the same old habits easily. It is great that you know what the problems are and that you seem willing to start working on them again. I use myfitnesspal.com as many others do. I am JillC878 (the same as here) please feel free to look me up and add me as a friend - that goes for everyone.

sueBHoney, thank you for letting us know that the sleeve is a slower weight loss compared to other wls.

erp, I had taco salad last night too. My problem with food I cooking for me and my husband who is not dieting. We tend to eat different meals or I modify what I am fixing him. Last night I ate took a 1/2 cup and put a little brown rice, followed by the turkey and black bean mixture, a little cheese, some salsa, and a little light sour cream. It was delicious! Could I have eaten something a bit better for my diet? Yeah, probably, but I don't want to live life without taste!

So, Dream, you can do this! If you need help, ask - we are all here for you!

I went for my 10 week follow up and the doc on duty ( not my actual surgeon) told me that he thought I should have lost more at that point. Dam near broke my heart. I didn't go back for my next appointment. Flash forward , I am now almost 5 months out and have lost "only" 57 lbs. that number for me represents a 69% excess weight lost. Not too shabby in my opinion since 60% is average at 12 months.

I will suggest getting a fitness/ activity tracker ( I use a Fitbit Flex) in addition to My Fitness Pal. The 2 together make a powerful team. They keep me honest with myself .

food does not have to be boring either. Spice it up, find new recipes. I avoid artificial sweeteners if possible, as they seem to create sugar cravings in me.

I was not a big Water drinker before and I am still not. I make my own infused waters with fruits, berries or cucumbers and I'm dining much better than with my Fluid intake . Never underestimate the power of water. It will fill you up , flush you out and keep the wrinkles away!

My point is, this journey is all about you; it's not your medical team, your friends or family. The level of commitment remains your choice. I wish you health and happiness !

Hey Dream ..I am 11 months out and totally understand where u are coming from ... I am going to do the ST.paddys day challenge starting tomorow... why dont you join me and everyone else. There is a thread on this site for it..it will be my first challenge and i am hoping it will get my ass moving and motivated...LOL...

I'm 6 months out and 80 pounds down. My struggle is not with motivation or self discipline. It is with self love. I'm too lazy to put effort into my tiny meals says I'm not worth the effort. I'm too lazy to exercise says I don't love myself enough to do it. Every time you decide not to exercise or put love and creativity into the fuel you consume you are saying "I am not worth that effort". Do not negotiate your self love! The children in your life are watching. If you, the center of their universe, are not worth self love, how can they be? food isn't meant to be exciting. (It can be with effort) Its meant to fuel you to do exciting things with your life. Now get up, and love yourself. If you think exercise and eating right are tough, try chemotherapy, dialysis or congestive heart failure. That's where lack of self love really ends. And every time you put off self loving behavior you are wasting valuable time. You are never going to feel like doing the work. You have to believe you are worthy of the work. And do it. Its now or never. -thats all I got. If that doesn't help watch Mohammed Ali documentaries.

Thank you guys so much. I am going to try the tracking apps and am joining the YMCA to try a group class. I know doing it by myself isn't helping. Also, going shopping, I was not aware that we could eat brown rice. I guess all in moderation and in the calorie and carb ranges. By the way does anyone know a good range for carbs. I was just told to stay under 600 for calories per day.

At 9 months out I was at around 900 calories. Part of your slow loss may be due too few calories. I would add a snack to your day. Complex carbs, i.e. veggies, fruits and whole grains (like brown rice) are okay on my Nuts plan. She stresses healthy, balanced eating. My Nut says I need at least 64 to 100 grams of Protein a day. She has me avoid any beverage with over 5 grams of sugar. I do for the most part except milk which I drink for the protein. By eating at least 64 grams of protein, eating protein first, then veggies, and then carbs- it makes it pretty impossible to eat much rice or other grains. So she never sets a limit on my carb intake as long as I follow the rules.

Wow! 600 calories a day is super low. I'm 6 months and average 900. It takes calories to burn calories. Anything below 700 and i dont lose weight. Everyone has a different number. My magic carb number is 40 net grams daily, anything above that and I don't lose weight.

I agree that 600 calories is too low. I'm just over 6 months out and eat 900-1000 daily. I was eating around 500-600 and my weight loss stalled. After increasing to 900-1000 the weight started coming off again! When my nut told me to eat more, I was like never thought I'd hear that in my lifetime! Lol