Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off after Sleeve

I'm curious as to how much time people needed off after their surgery. It looks like my surgeon recommends at least 2 weeks. I'm a nurse in a busy OB/Gyn clinic, and want to make sure that I'm doing well and have some energy before returning to work. I'm in the office M-F 8-5. Some of my work can be done at my desk, but up I'm and down a lot and see patients throughout the day. My plan was to take 3 weeks off, but I wonder if that's realistic or not. Can you share your experience with me, and let me know how returning to work was after surgery? Thanks for the help!

Jenny

I have a desk job and was able to go back and do fairly well after two weeks. Given how active your job is, two weeks doesn't sound like enough-- three weeks sounds good. Yay, you!

I am a nurse with an up and down job like you described. I went back to work in 10days. I did well except being a little fatigued.

I am taking 3 weeks minimum. I do have a desk job but also have lupus and if my dr had his way I would be out for 5.

I have a desk job, in fact, I work from home. I started some work today, 3 days after surgery (don't tell my doctor) and I plan to go back full time on Monday, after one week. My case is unique, working at him changes everything.

I took 3 weeks and then came back on half days for a week...I had FMLA, and well, I hate my job... so there you go! Up and down a lot will bother your incisions so I would think 3 weeks would be best for you...but consult with your doctor of course!

I have a desk job and only took two weeks but needed more! Take 3 if you can. I was blessed in that we had a winter storm down here that gave me several extra days off. The fatigue is awful. I am four weeks out now and still have periods of Zero Energy. Remember that this is a life changing event for you. If you can take 3 weeks then do it!

I wonder why my surgeon recommended at least 8 weeks off considering the norm seems to be around 3-5 weeks?

I'm curious as to how much time people needed off after their surgery. It looks like my surgeon recommends at least 2 weeks. I'm a nurse in a busy OB/Gyn clinic, and want to make sure that I'm doing well and have some energy before returning to work. I'm in the office M-F 8-5. Some of my work can be done at my desk, but up I'm and down a lot and see patients throughout the day. My plan was to take 3 weeks off, but I wonder if that's realistic or not. Can you share your experience with me, and let me know how returning to work was after surgery? Thanks for the help!

Jenny

I am a nurse manager at a rather busy outpatient clinic. I took 3 weeks off. I could probably go back next week b/c I feel good but I am just so fatigued still from the actually surgery. Our surgeon allows up to 4 weeks. Many ppl on here seem to go back after two weeks if they have a sit down job. Hope this helps. My son and hubby are driving me nuts.... I can't wait to get back.

I'll take as long as I can get. I have paid short term disability. I plan on at least three if not four weeks.

One thing is I really want to get into my routine and also where I work people bring in Bagels and donuts and stuff almost every day. I just want to be further along so I don't have to see all that right after surgery.

During the seminar the doctor said he only gives 2 wks off..he said no one requires more than that off..that's ridiculous! Everyone recovers differently. Especially healthcare workers. If I have to beg him I will ask him for 3-4 wks off. .since I'm also in healthcare.

I have a desk job and work from home as well, so that has its advantages. My surgery is 2/25 and I'm taking 2 weeks off. I figure the first week I'll be pretty out of sorts and hopefully the second week I will have some get up and go.

I have a desk job. I was off three weeks. A friend had surgery one week before me and took four weeks off.

Well, I didn't know how long I was supposed to take off, but I had my surgery 2/6/14 and I've been back at work since Monday the 10th. I am self employed so I don't get sick time etc. I'm not gonna lie, two days after the surgery I was like no way. However, I think I am feeling better because I am not sitting in bed. I am at my office and meeting with clients and walking around. I am tired and ready for bed about 8:00pm, but no more than before. The only difficult part so far is making sure I remember to eat and drink properly to keep myself from getting an upset stomach.The first two days were difficult because I hadn't figured out when to eat or drink to keep my tummy from being upset. It seems like if I wait t0o long to eat, I feel nauseated instead of the normal growling tummy. Anyone else get that? I hope that doesn't last.