Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got approval to have a glass of wine after 6 weeks. Drink a half of glass & stopped because I felt tipsy, stomach was ok.. Now I can drink 1 glass & I'm ok. If I drink 2 now, it makes me feel like I had a few shots of tequila. Room spins & feel nauseous. The day after I drink 2 glasses of wine, major hangover headache, but no nausea. So 1 glass is my limit when I do drink.

I heard horrors stories about beer, so I haven't had any post op.

I tried to sip on a shot of cognac on ice and I felt tipsy, not nauseous. But had bad dreams that night. It happen twice. Needless to say, no more cognac for me.

I guess is official. I'm truly a light weight in all aspects of the word. But I'm not complaining.

My surgeon says none for six weeks and then to take it slow until you know how you will be effected. Apparently some people get flat drunk on one drink and others don't notice a difference. Of course, alcohol is empty calories so he cautions to save it for special occasions. I'm not a huge drinker but it is nice to know I will be able to have an occasional glass of wine.

I am 8 weeks out from being sleeved and I finally caved in and had a glass of Riesling with some girlfriends at the 6.5 week mark and I was completely fine! I didn't feel tipsy at all! Just this past weekend, I ventured into wine again and had a glass and a half, and again, didn't feel tipsy at all and I had no issues what-so-ever! It still tasted yummy but I wasn't eager to drink a bottle like I would have months ago at a girls' night! Ha!

I got approval to have a glass of wine after 6 weeks. Drink a half of glass & stopped because I felt tipsy, stomach was ok.. Now I can drink 1 glass & I'm ok. If I drink 2 now, it makes me feel like I had a few shots of tequila. Room spins & feel nauseous. The day after I drink 2 glasses of wine, major hangover headache, but no nausea. So 1 glass is my limit when I do drink. I heard horrors stories about beer, so I haven't had any post op. I tried to sip on a shot of cognac on ice and I felt tipsy, not nauseous. But had bad dreams that night. It happen twice. Needless to say, no more cognac for me. I guess is official. I'm truly a light weight in all aspects of the word. But I'm not complaining.

I guess is all trial and error, I hope to be a lightweight soon, my bf is going to love having a cheap date for once lol

My surgeon says none for six weeks and then to take it slow until you know how you will be effected. Apparently some people get flat drunk on one drink and others don't notice a difference. Of course, alcohol is empty calories so he cautions to save it for special occasions. I'm not a huge drinker but it is nice to know I will be able to have an occasional glass of wine.

Yes you are rights about the empty calories, I will sure save it for special occasions, I didn't ask my doc about how long to wait so I will be def counting until week 6 which is when I have my next appointment. Thanks!

i personally think the whole alcoholic thing is 2 fold, one if you have food issues i think its easier to swoop one addiction for another using booze as the thing you now use.
Say if you were an emotional eater food is no longer the pick me up booze is and becomes a issue.

Also my second theory on this is if you are a very social person going out to eat has issues its hard to deal with, costly for what you can eat, you might puke, there may be pain etc etc etc so you have drinks instead.

which can become a hell of alot if its always drinking.

thats my take on it anyway

Pre op I used to like to drink once in a whole mainly when I went out. I'm 7 weeks out and have not had a drink I was told at 6 weeks I could have red wine. I still have not had any I'm waiting for a weekend that I'm at home with no plans I'm scared to how it's going to effect me. I'm not worried about alcoholism because I don't/never had alcohol every day or had a eating disorder. I must say I miss my wine and vodka specially after a stressful day at work a nice glass of wine would be great.

I am a bartender,so spirits are around constantly,, I was a big vodka and seltzer drinker tiny splash of cran and fresh lime... I dont do carbonation anymore so that was a big bummer....I now drink wine with tons of ice(classy I know ) haha....I can do shots on occasion... I pretty much get the same buzz post surgery as I did pre.... except it may hit me a bit quicker when i havent eaten.... :rolleyes:

I had my first drink at about 8 weeks out and that was wine. I was pretty damn drunk just off of one glass. Before surgery I considered myself to be a professional drinking and could put some drinks down. Now If I do 2 drinks I am pretty well drunk. If I try to go past 2 drinks I will be passed out rather quickly so I avoid going more than 2.

I have regularly had wine or liquor a couple times a week through my journey so far and I believe I have done a decent job with my weight lost despite having some empty calories in my diet.....

Surgery has totally changed my relationship with alcohol. I only drink wine or Irish cream now. I get buzzed immediately and I'm a jerk the next day. Mostly I avoid it.

I had some wine at 4 weeks out - it was my birthday - and the nutritionist said it was fine. I drank very little because I wasn't sure how it would affect me. Now that I'm at 5 months post-op, I have wine occasionally - only half pours if I'm tasting, which I don't finish, or 2 or 3 sips if I splurge and order an actual glass. With the very tiny amounts I'm having, I am not experiencing any negative effects - it doesn't make me tipsy or anything, but I still weigh a lot with many more pounds still to lose.

Before surgery I was a social drinker and mimosas were my absolute favorite - I miss them so much! My friends and I did a lot of wine tasting and I have 3 wine racks because I used to keep so much wine on hand. The racks are a little sad now, I think I have 1 bottle still left from last summer. But I'd rather lose weight than keep drinking, so it's all about perspective. :)

I am 13 weeks post surgery, and this past weekend I had my first taste of alcohol since October. It made me feel very flushed and sick to my stomach. Was never a vodka and cranberry gal but it did taste really good! I will admit I miss drinking with friends but personally for me I am making the choice not to drink for a while.

Every surgeon is different - mine allowed it at 3 months post-op (wine only) and at 6 months we were allowed carbonation in small amounts (beer and cider drinks for alcohol). Be sure to check with your doctor's instructions!