Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hi Janette,

Just back in the UK. I honestly feel so much better after my time away in the sun. I did a lit of work over there and am very busy workwise, and could do with a better work life balance, particularly when I am meant to be on leave, but I do enjoy my job.

My bloodtests are up to date and were already planned for a week or so. Everything was looking absolutely fine in September. I am asking for hormonal bloodtests because my hormones have always been all over the place and it would be good to know if things have improved.

I think that a lot of us feel worse in the winter, certainly my UK group people have been. I do miss my energy and hope that returns. I am seeing my hairdresser today and she has bought me hair extensions, so we will see how bad I am at trying to get those in myself. Alan will have to help I think.

As for food while we have been away ... I have found that having choices available (through other people's orders too) works well. Sometimes I can manage only a couple of bites, other meals much more. We will see what my weight is like having not weighed for a few weeks now. I managed the long trip home with the use of anti diarrhoea stuff and everything was fine. The upgrades to Business Class also made a huge difference.

Thanks Janette for your concern, I am feeling much better and I am sure that I am fine. I hope that everyone else is ok too, not long until our one year anniversaries, time to Celebrate. Such a change for all of us maybe we should all put on here what those changes are.

Take care

Claire

As of 2/6/14 I will be at one year.. yahooo!!!

Gastric Bypass

Starting weight: 243lbs

Current weight: 133 lbs

This year has been a roller coaster with many ups and downs along the way. To say this journey was the "easy way out" would be so wrong. I've cried,vomited,stressed that I wasn't losing weight as quickly as others (which was way to harsh on myself). I have forced myself to eat then turn around a few days later and remind myself not to eat too much food. I have obsessed over drinking fluids or having bowel movements. ( sorry if that's too graphic for some of you). I have driven my dear sweet supportive husband crazy with my emotions. I'm not perfect with following the doctors schedule plan of eating, but I follow what my new pouch allows. I allowed myself a treat here and there and maybe I enjoyed it but most of the time I have paid the price for doing so.

I have learned to Celebrate the non surgery victories and stop focusing on that scale. I am happy and healthy for the first time in Twenty-five years. I have no regrets having this surgery other than not doing it sooner.

My true journey is still to come as I approach the maintenance phase (I still need to lose another thirteen pounds)

I know I will make mistakes,but that's ok as long as I learn from them.

1st picture is of me on the day of surgery.

2nd picture is a week ago

post-215988-14231921995782_thumb.jpg

post-215988-14231922170635_thumb.jpg

Hi Deanna,

Wow you look so great and so different from before. You have a lovely smile in both pictures though, and that wasn't even a particularly good one of you I suspect. I can't believe how slim you look but then you have lost 110 pounds! You have only got a few more pounds to go but you don't look as if you have any at all to lose. Congratulations!

As you say it is not an easy option and we do have our challenges , not least the maintenance stage. I am so glad that I have not been sick at all, I hate that with a passion. I don't wish that I had done it earlier because it is the right time for me. I couldn't have done it with doing my old work role because my new lower energy levels would not have made that possible. I am so glad that it is not this time last year and that we have our epic year of change behind us. Let's all keep in touch so we can carry on giving each other invaluable support.

Well done again, you are awesome!

Claire

Hey everyone, i had surgery January 22nd and before surgery I was 292 pounds.. A week after surgery i was 276 pounds.. I stepped on the scale yesturday and now im 277 pounds.. I havent lost weight ever since .. Does The Protein Shakes have to do anything with that because i havent been drinking any.. I dont seem to find one i like ???? .. Can u guys give me ant suggestions?

Matos08

Just speaking from my experience (it's different for everyone)

Your body has just gone through a major surgery and is in shock so to say. My first month out i lost maybe 20 lbs total. Then i had stalls and then consistent weight loss.

Protein is the key to weight loss and Water. Try getting a unflavored protein powder and mixing it in your yogurts or Soups.

Hope this helped some.

Best wishes

Hey everyone, i had surgery January 22nd and before surgery I was 292 pounds.. A week after surgery i was 276 pounds.. I stepped on the scale yesturday and now im 277 pounds.. I havent lost weight ever since .. Does The Protein Shakes have to do anything with that because i havent been drinking any.. I dont seem to find one i like .. Can u guys give me ant suggestions?

Hi,

I think that the important thing is not to panic and not to over obsess on the numbers. I know how hard that is but really there is no way that you won't be losing weight. It just sometimes doesn't happen as we want it to. I know in the early days it is the thing you are hanging on to but you can make yourself crazy with worry. Just carry on getting stronger. Take care

Deanna you look amazing!!! Such a difference. Great job.

I had my one year f/u and I was down 104lbs. My blood work was all good too, so that was good to hear. I still have about 40lbs to go, not sure on the actual # until I get there. I haven't been that low since I was a teenager.

Matos, Protein is the KEY! That is all I focused on for the first 6 months, and still is my priority. Keep trying different ones until you find one you like. The scale can be a wicked ride the first year! So just be aware of that and we've all been there.

Deanna you look amazing!!! Such a difference. Great job.

I had my one year f/u and I was down 104lbs. My blood work was all good too, so that was good to hear. I still have about 40lbs to go, not sure on the actual # until I get there. I haven't been that low since I was a teenager.

Matos, Protein is the KEY! That is all I focused on for the first 6 months, and still is my priority. Keep trying different ones until you find one you like. The scale can be a wicked ride the first year! So just be aware of that and we've all been there.

Wonderful news Kim, it is great to hear from you.

Take care

Claire

How is everyone doing???? It's been too quiet out there. Hope all of you are doing great!

Busy time with me right now being a taxi driver for my kids. And work of course keeps me busy. My weight loss is going good and down 116 since surgery. About 30ish more to go. Biggest complaint is the extra skin. Not a pretty sight naked. I'm hoping to get some plastic surgery in the fall, but not sure to what extent. Minimum would be breast lift/reduction and Tummy Tuck. Other areas I'd considered once I learned more would be upper thighs and arms. Anyone else considering plastic surgery?

Come back and chat and tell how you are doing!

Kim

Kim

Thats amazing great job! I don't know about you but my last 15 lbs are the hardest to shed right now. If i had any complaint it would also be the extra skin. The doctor at my last support group meeting said that most of us do very well having the breast and tummy taken care of, but she was really discouraging us against the arm and leg area. So i would like to learn more about that as well. I can live with it all except the tummy area. My insurance will not pay for it because they don't see it as medically necessary. So the cost is going to be a hugh deciding factor for me.

I am training for my first half marathon. I never thought i would be able to run let alone for over 13 miles. Shape ware is my best friend right now.

Best wishes,

Deanna

Hi Kim and Deanna,

How nice to hear from you both. My weight loss seems to have stopped completely and is also tending to go up a little. It could be just a phase but I am nowhere near "normal" weight as a lot of people seem to be in my UK group. I am 25 pounds over my target of two thirds of my excess body weight from my starting point (not just what I was at the point I had surgery because I had lost a fair amount by then). However, I am not expecting to get that low either, according to the dietician and Consultant they are not expecting that and they are both very happy with what I have achieved and said that the weight loss might stop here. I am fine with that, I just don't want to go up to much in the bounce back which seems to happen to most people. I am planning to have skin removed so perhaps overall I will end up where I am now weight wise. Any more than that would be a bonus, and that's how I am trying to think of it.

I do need the skin removal and my consultant sees this as a medical issue, which is good. I just want my trunk done, including the pubic area, because that is where the main problem is, and that is making my back problems worse too. I don't think that I will even contemplate arm or leg area, I think that is really difficult and the leg area involves no sitting, including on the loo, for weeks! I have a referral to discuss the timing of this in May but probably will aim for next Feb (our 2 year anniversary), unless they advise me otherwise. I have an umbilical hernia which they will deal with at the same time and that is causing problems, so that might change what they say.

As you say it is not a pretty sight. I might look better on the outside but it all falls apart underneath our clothes! Congratulations on your marathon training Deanna, that sounds amazing. You are both doing so well.

Let's keep in touch.

Take care

Claire

Hi Kim, Claire & Deanna

Great to hear from everyone - so glad everyone is doing well. Like you, my weight loss slowed and stopped for around three months - and I actually gained 3 lbs in Dec and Jan :( But I'm on a new routine of increased exercise and I'm losing again slowly (about ½ lb per week). I walk 3-4 miles, or swim for 1 hour, or take a Zumba class and lift weights almost every day. My energy level is certainly improving and my blood work is all excellent so my PCP/GP is delighted with me.

Beginning to think my long-term goal of losing another 25 lbs is a long shot but I can live with that. Just need to reach my mini-goal of losing 100 lbs (2 lbs to go!) Haven't decided about skin removal - my "apron" slaps against my thighs when I'm walking - very annoying. I'm tempted to have it removed but it's more serious surgery and I'm feeling cowardly.

My big news is that I became a grandma 2 weeks ago and we're spending 5 days over Easter with them - so excited. Then later in the month I'm heading to San Diego for a week to visit my other son (my birthday present). Hope to meet up with Kim while I'm there :) Take care everyone. Janette

Edited by JanetteH

Janette

Congratulations on the new baby.. how fun this must be!

More energy will come in handy with the little one.

Have you thought about compression shorts for when your walking? I wear mine under my fitness pants and they have been a great help with keeping the slaps under control.

Best wishes

Deanna