Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hi,

I paid for mine and it was about $11,500 dollars for a pretty extensive abdominoplasty with liposuction. I could have had this one done under the NHS because it had caused such a problem, which could be justified on medical grounds. I wanted to plan it round my work etc so I didn't want to have any changes in date, or cancellations so I paid for it myself. However, I think that the important thing is to get a package which covers everything, including aftercare. At the private hospital where I had my surgery this happened but in the private ward of the NHS hospital it would just have been an estimate. That worried me in case anything happened and as I have had lots of additional appointments with lots of dressings and an emergency admission with IV antibiotics and blood transfusions I am so glad that I did. I would not have been covered for any of that.

I know someone else who has had this done on the NHS, and he has also had his moobs and legs done in three separate operations. However, he has lost such a lot of weight and has been quite unable to be as mobile as he could be because of all the large amount of skin. It has to be a medical issue and then a case can be made, at least in some areas of the country. That doesn't help any of you over there though!

Do keep in touch about how your surgeries go. This is the second stage of our support network and we are all celebrating our 2 year oppiversary this month too.Something that I hadn't remembered until someone pointed it out to me.

Take care

Claire x

Mine is not covered by insurance and out of pocket cost including all after care is $7600...i am having the Tummy Tuck with Lipo. My surgeon will only do one surgery at a time so if i want to have the back side lifted it will be at a later date. Maybe it's their way of getting more money.

I think that all surgeons are different but the more that is done at once the more difficult it can be to heal and the blood supply to areas can be compromised. It isn't always about money, sometimes it is is about the best results.

So it might be better to have them done separately. She says while still coping with the aftereffects of a larger than normal abdominoplasty with liposuction....!

Hope it goes really well Deanna.

Take care

Claire

Happy Saturday to all!!

Phew I'm two days post-op and feeling not too bad. Surgery went very well my surgeon removed 4.5 lbs of skin and fat.. can't wait to see the results..

My question for those of you has had it done...when were you able to stand up straight fully?

Have a great day

Deanna

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Hi Deanna! So glad you are feeling not too bad and surgery went well!

I was not able to stand up straightly for awhile, way too tight and sore! You will get there but it takes time. My surgeon wanted me stretching throughout the day to help with it. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Send me pics too!

Kim

Thanks Kim...

I get to see the results this coming Thursday... I'm so excited!

Hi Deanna,

Way to go! I found standing up straight gt better after about a week. I am now just over 4 weeks later and have had some challenges but nothing that is totally unexpected. aS you know i had 22lbs removed plus a hernia repair so I think it is not surprising. I have a deep wound and a lot of Fluid that has been aspirated once (500mls on Weds) and probably will again this week. However much of the wound is looking great and although I can't see the end result in all irts glory yet, I know that it will be wonderful. So I am not despondent at all.

I hope that you don't have some of my issues though and it is all plain sailing for you. I big turning point was when I could lie flat, and even on my side which I did after about 10 days, that made a huge difference I found.

Take care Deanna and do keep posting, I have been thinking of you

Claire x

Thanks Claire

Glad to hear your wound is getting better. Will they need to do any type of corrective surgery once your wound heals?...oh how i long to lay flat, my back is sore from being in a recliner. If that's my only issue I'm doing great and can't complain.

This group has been wonderful and very supportive. Love having friends that has had the same procedures that we can bounce questions off of.

Best wishes

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

Yes lying flat made all the difference to me. I am really happy with how I will look in the end but right now is not a good indication of that because I have a lot of Fluid build up, both generally and a large amount of fluid under part of the wound. There is an area which is deep and seems like something the alien might come out of! It leaks serous fluid at times quite fast. It just needs to heal but I shouldn't need any more surgery and it just needs to heal from the bottom of the wound upwards towards the skin.

I have a friend who had the surgery 10 days ago and she has her recliner almost flat now. Unless you have been told differently perhaps give it a go after 10 days. Our Consultant might be saying something different to yours though.

I agree that this group has been wonderful both immediately after the bypass and the months after that, and now some of us are going through the second surgery. The support has been fantastic.

I hope that all continues to go well Deanna and do ask us anything, I know how helpful that is.

Take care

Claire x

The drains are finally gone!!

It's amazing as i look down and no longer see my dreaded apron but, at the same time I am in disbelief that this is the new me. I'm just now sleeping in bed and that feels wonderful. I will post before and one week after pictures once i can remember how. I did some cropping so you just see a minimal area. post-215988-14578227237716_thumb.jpg

Looks so good! It's crazy to look in the mirror and see the new you, huh? I love it!

Hi Deanna,

Hoiw wonderful, it is such a nice surprise isn't it! I still have a lot of Fluid underneath mine but I can still see how good the results will be. Unfortunately the Fluid is still coming out through my belly button much like an alien and the discomfort has returned like a stitch on my right hand side near the wound. I have no idea what that is but I am going back to the hospital again today for another dressing appt so we will see.

On the upside I went to a 3 day country music festival, a lot of big names and emerging talent from Nashville and all over the States, as well as quite a lot from the UK. We had a fantastic time and I managed to cope with it all despite the exploding abdomen and the extreme knackeredness, so that was a real bonus too.

You are doing so well Deanna. Thanks for letting us know.

Claire

Claire, love your term knackeredness. My husband is from England as says knackered quite often. Glad you got to get out and enjoy yourself!

Hi,

I think that knackeredness covers it all!!! The stitch like pain is probably just nerves regenerating themselves so that is fine. I have learnt a new trick.... if I press the areas swollen with Fluid I can make Fluid come up through the wound in the belly button. Hopefully that should mean that I don't need further aspirations of the fluid. It fills up again fast but it is draining and of course it sops the unplanned explosions, so it is all good really.

Carry on getting better Deanna. My friend Julie had her op almost 4 weeks ago and she is doing really well and has been signed off by the cosmetic nurses already.

Take care all of you.

Claire

I finally made an appointment to see the Bari plastic. I have a consultant appointment on the 23rd of April. I have not lost all the weight that I want but my dr thinks that all the skin is having an effect on my hip. I am walking with a limp. I also have not been able to take any weight off this past year. That has been disappointing. I guess I will see what she has to say. I am pretty scared.