Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hi Janette,

How are things going with the baby? He looked so scrumptious in the photo. You must be a very proud grandma! Have a great time with them and with Andrew in San Diego, I hope you get to see Kim too.

We are off to Lake Garda in Italy on Easter Monday for a couple of weeks and can't wait. I need the sun to pep me up regularly I think.

Take care all of you and keep chatting on here, I miss our contact. We are all moving on with our lives and that is great to see, it is just nice to Celebrate this with others who know how far we have come.

Take care

Claire

How is everyone doing? I am struggling! I'm not even close to my goal weight. I seem to be hooked on sweets again. Of course they are small portions but I know it adds up. I have 50 more pounds to go and can't seem to get jump started again! I have been at a stand still for the past 2 months! I need some advice!

Deanna, Good idea - I might buy some compression shorts :)

How is everyone doing? I am struggling! I'm not even close to my goal weight. I seem to be hooked on sweets again. Of course they are small portions but I know it adds up. I have 50 more pounds to go and can't seem to get jump started again! I have been at a stand still for the past 2 months! I need some advice!

Lynn, I was stuck for several months around Thanksgiving and Christmas - eating the wrong things and suffering the consequences. I decided I had to do something about it so I went back to the gym and started tracking my food on MyFitnessPal again. I swim twice a week, take a Zumba class, lift weights and have increased the distance I walk my dog to about an hour (2.5-3 miles). It's working - I'm down another 6 pounds now - and have finally hit my "mini-goal" of losing 100 pounds :) I'm not too rigid in watching what I eat, but the small stomach is still working for quantity control - I get full after 1.5-2 cups of food - and the exercise is making me more toned and stronger. Do you have access to a gym, exercise videos or even a Wii? Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I have a gym membership but haven't been in several months. I am going first thing in the morning. It's time to turn this around. Thank you!

Hi,

I too am now at a standstill and now we are in Italy for 2 weeks it could be worse than that by the time I get back! As Janette says the portion size is still holding for me and I always prioritise Protein and here in Italy that is working a treat. The Protein foods seem to be more digestible here than when I try them back home. However, from past experience I know that I can put on weight in Italy, despite my best efforts, so I will try not to be disappointed if that happens when I weigh when I get home. Hopefully it will only be temporary. I am trying not to worry too much about carrying on losing. If I do I do, if I don't I can cope. It is not nice to plateau though.

As for bad habits I try to snack on healthier things. Through the winter it has been easy peel oranges, dates and very occasionally yoghurt covered raisins. I also have Rich Tea biscuits when I need to silence the rumbling stomach gurgling which is very unsettling. They are just very plain biscuits but they seem to work. I have tried a little chocolate but it is not something I really want and so I have only done it twice. It was enough to tell me that I didn't really want it though.

Keep going Lynn, all your exercise regimes are just wonderful!

Take care

Claire

Claire,

I need to follow in your footsteps and switch my snacking to healthy Snacks instead of the sweets. I am

I am getting back to the gym and hopefully will be back on track. Enjoy Italy!

I really hope everyone is doing well!! Can you believe it's been over a year??? Omg!!! Here's how things are going for me...down 135lbs, still not all the way to my goal but proud of how far I've come. About 10 more pounds to go...seem to be at quite a standstill though! I survived my 1st vacation since the surgery, and didn't gain any! I've gone from a size 18/20 to a 4/6. My moods have stabilized and my hubby had the surgery in December! Our lifestyle is so much healthier!!

Love to all!! Hope life is finding you all healthy and happy! post-202202-14290525102933_thumb.jpg

Hmjdreamingbig

You look amazing!.. great job

Congratulations, Dreamingbig - you look fantastic. Do you have a "before" picture? I can't even imagine you as a "fat lady" - you look so beautiful.

Claire - off on another adventure! You sure don't let your mobility issues get in your way! As you know, we were in Baltimore visiting our older son and new grandson and in 10 days we're off to San Diego for a week to visit our younger son. Not quite as exciting as Italy but I'll enjoy myself - might even get to meet KimR.

I think many of us are/have been suffering from the "plateau blues". I finally got the scale to move and hit my goal of losing 100 lbs by increasing my exercise over the last month - that seems to be the secret for me - and I feel better too - all those endorphins running around my system. We finally have some warmer weather here in upstate New York so its a joy to go outdoors without a coat :)

I agree with Claire about the healthier Snacks - in addition to fruit, I keep yoghurts on hand as well as hummus with veggies. My secret treat is a digestive biscuit with my tea (for Americans this is also plain like tea biscuits - similar to Graham crackers) so nothing fancy unless I go crazy and buy chocolate digestives :) Good luck everyone - and keep on posting - I miss you!

Hi,

I miss our chats too! Have a great time Janette and Deanna you look magnificent. It sounds like we are all doing really well, it is just that sometimes we can expect too much of ourselves and therefore get disappointed.

We should all be really proud of ourselves, do stay in touch.

Take care

Claire

Hope everyone is doing well in your new healthier bodies..

Quick update

I went to see a cosmetic surgeon yesterday with the hopes of getting my apron removed. My insurance will not pay for it because the apron does not hang down far enough and i have no rashes. I told the dr that i wasn't looking for a beach perfect body, that i just wanted the skin removed which is called a "panni". Apparently I am not a good candidate for this because i will still have hanging skin above my belly button, he recommended a full Tummy Tuck.

Total cost for surgery and all compression garments and additional appointments after the surgery is $7000. Total down time is six weeks.

I posted this for a reference for anyone else thinking about having this done.

Have a wonderful summer!

Best wishes

Deanna

Thanks Deanna for this information! I am hoping to get a "mommy makeover" in the fall which includes a Tummy Tuck and breast lift. Is that down time completely out of work? That would be huge for me. You have done such a wonderful job with your weight loss, are you going to proceed with the surgery?

Kim

Hi Kim..

Thank you..

The doctor said many go back to work after two weeks depending on the type of work you do. No lifting over 10 lbs for six weeks and no exercise except walking during that time. If all goes as planned i am hoping to have this done in August. Have you looked into the cost for the mommy make over?

Deanna

Hi Deanna and Kim,

I am having this sort of thing done late January. When I went for the appointment he said to choose a 3 month gap in my diary. Not that I would be off work or anything all that time but really between long haul flights etc just to be sure. Flying after one month might be ok and probably definitely after 2 months but to reduce the stress and worry if there were problems 3 months might be better. So that is why I have chosen February because we are flying to Hawaii in January, and there is a symmetry to it because of course it will be 2 years after the bypass.

Mine is more major than other people who I know who have had wls and are only staying a couple of nights. I think because my weight loss is more and the surgery is more extensive, also I need the umbilical hernia dealt with that they found at the bypass. I will be in 4-5 nights and it will be a 3.5-4 hour op. He described it as having 100% morbidity (not mortality!) because something will always go wrong. Infections -urinary, chest, wound etc, clots, hemorrhages etc, but they are looking for them and can sort them. I found that strangely reassuring. My friend who had her bypass at the same time as us was told she would be out after a couple of days and less about all that though and her operation is less extensive. So don't see that as what most people have been told. I know someone else who has had it done and his was more extensive too and he was in for 4 nights, had odd problems but is fine and delighted.

I didn't think the costs were too bad, £8,000 (not dollars )including 2 surgeons (one for the hernia) and an anaesthetist, and everything covered for a year, including a longish hospital stay. I thought it would be worse than that.

So Kim you are having it done in August, when do you think yours will be Deanna.

Do stay in touch and we can support each other, as always!!

Claire x