Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The pre-op struggles and feelings: Im tired of being fat...DAMN

Hi everyone! I wanted to start a dialogue about the PRE pre-op feelings, issues, concerns and desires. Please give feedback...

So, did you start your process looking at tons of YouTube videos? I did and quite frankly I am obsessed. I have the basic background story, give or take a few details BUT none of that is important anymore, at least I don't think so. I have made a real decision to have WLS and I am ready now, more than ever. Originally I wanted the LapBand; I thought it was a God send because that meant no cutting of my insides. WELL the surgeon definitely busted my bubble, he basically told me I was too overweight and it would me no good...WTF (LOL). He gave me the option of either the VSG or RNY...talk about stuck...anyway I quickly made a decision (I felt extremely rushed), choosing the RNY. After meeting with the nutritionist (how is she different from the dietician?), I was informed I had time to change my mind....thank you Jesus!

Okay I am clearly still at the beginning of this process, however, my surgeon spoke life (dramatic I know) when he said "oh this will go pretty quickly, your insurance takes no time." If that wasn’t the best new I'd heard all week, hell all month. BUT this was short lived because he followed that with "you need to quit smoking or you will die!!!!!!" WOW is all I could say. Since then I have been struggling to drop the habit. I am 2days cigarette free and this only came after I had a REAL talk with self "Do you want to smoke and be fat or do you want to improve your health in more ways than one?" I agreed and I do mean to toot my own horn because I have not gone one day without smoking in 10yrs, 2 down the rest of my life to go.

Back to these YouTube videos, I have watched so many and have subscribed to a few people. I watch them and can envision myself loosing the weight and going shopping and even working out HARD. To be honest it is all I think about at this point and I do not even have a date yet, hell I haven't even had the psych eval. I feel like my obsession is PREMATURE...is it? I decided on VSG because I do not want to take millions of Vitamins for the rest of my life, I want the weight to come off slower just so my body can catch up (not guaranteed, a girl can hope) and lastly I believe this surgery provides a sense of normalcy that RNY does not. So, I find that because I am unsure if I want to go public with my decision and journey, I only have one person to talk to about this....good old dependable and supportive MOMMY. Because she is the only person, I talk to her about this constantly. She reiterated the fact that I should not care what people think because this is what I believe; know without a shadow of doubt this IS THE BEST DECISION FOR ME. I agree but I am still on the fence...

If you have made it this far, THANK YOU for reading and please let me know what you think.

You go, girl!

Having VSG was by far the best decision I've made in a very VERY long time.

Good luck to you!!!!

I second what your Mother said! It doesn't matter what people think, and you don't owe it to anyone to tell them unless YOU want to :). Congratulations on taking the first step. Unfortunately, you will have to take Vitamins (I was told forever, I don't know what other doctors say), but hey it's not so bad. I will take that over a life of obesity. I am 4 weeks out. I can't say it's been a walk in the park, but it is turning out to be great. Congratulations with your decision! I think it's one of the best I have made so far. Oh, and about the YouTube videos....I never could watch those, I just can't "stomach it" haha. Chin up! You can quit the ciggs! I'm sure your doctor can prescribe you something you help with the cravings, way to go!!!

Hi Ready, Like you I started out the same way. Every evening when I got home from work I obsessed over these videos. I read on line posts, and I found a couple of books on WLS. I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it and it was the first thing on my mind when I got up in the morning. To say "obsessed" was an understatement. As my husband pointed out...it was a good obsession because it motivated me to get the facts from multiple sources before making a life changing decision. It has all paid off in the fact that the pre-surgery time has seemed to fly by and I'll be going into surgery on Monday. I am so looking forward to a thinner, healthier and happier year as well as the same for the rest of my life. I am ready to put the work into it. Its like a dream come true for me. I wish you luck.

I'm in much the same spot, and you say it all really well. Hang in there with the smoking thing, (I quit 30 years ago - and it was HARD) but consider this; you will NEVER have to go through those first two agonizing days again! Any time you're tempted, just remember how hard won they were and how great an accomplishment it was, and hang on to each smokeless day as a huge milestone. Good for you!

I'm in a really public job, so have decided not to tell the 200+ people at work, but my family knows. I'm also feeling like i may verge on obsessed on the topic, but I'm going to think of it as extremely well informed instead!

I'm still waiting on a date for my psych eval, but all else is in and i'm insurance approved -- after that i can get a date. Good for you taking it on!

I can tell you firsthand that the feeling you get after fully quitting smoking is sublime. I don't even expect that my feeling after WLS and losing weight will feel as good as when I had finally quit smoking. I think it's possible to be a healthy overweight person but there is NO such thing as a healthy smoker. Your body and health will change so much after you quit. You will only then realize just how bad it was to be a smoker. Stay strong!

As far as obsessed......I think there is a fine line between determined and obsessed ........I have definitely taken a step or two over said line since I started on my WL journey.

I can tell you firsthand that the feeling you get after fully quitting smoking is sublime. I don't even expect that my feeling after WLS and losing weight will feel as good as when I had finally quit smoking. I think it's possible to be a healthy overweight person but there is NO such thing as a healthy smoker. Your body and health will change so much after you quit. You will only then realize just how bad it was to be a smoker. Stay strong!

As far as obsessed......I think there is a fine line between determined and obsessed ........I have definitely taken a step or two over said line since I started on my WL journey.

Ok so I am on the 3rd day and I'm loving that I'm a non-smoker but damn when will it get easier or less consuming?

OMG! I am youtube obsessed as well! As far as the cigarettes, I gave those up years ago. I used the nicorette gum and it helped with the horrible cravings. I then started using really strong mints (altoids) whenever I craved a cigarette. I hope that helps. I know how hard it is to quit. My prayers are with you and know that you can kick the habit! I was a 2.5 pack a day smoker! The worst are the first two weeks and then it gets easier and easier. But do NOT fall into the trap of...well, I've been doing so well I think I'll try one to see how it goes. You'll sabotage yourself.

I'm still waiting to hear from the insurance and boy, the closer I get it seems the longer it takes! I'm going for the sleeve and was concerned about the daily Vitamins, but we should be taking them anyway and I have already been trying to do that ahead of schedule in order to get healthy for surgery.

Edited by pegsbored

Wow.. Quitting smoking was about the hardest thing ever... But one thing for sure is that everyday it gets easier. For me the urge only last for about a minute..

Good luck....

Recently quit smoking myself, ready! Hard thing to do, but it's been over two months for me now. I used Chantix per my surgeon's recommendation. He told me I'd have to be smoke-free at least one month before he'd operate on me. That lit a fire under my fat ass!

I want a healthier life. I want to be able to run. Hell, I want to be able to walk and not be out of breath. I want to see my 5 year old go through all of life's big moments, and I want her to be proud of me and not ashamed.

This is the second time I've quit smoking and it wasn't easy, but it's worth it. You will feel better and be happier and live longer. Plus smoking stinks really bad. People tell me I smell good now. And my hair smells fabulous! Lol

Anyways, I hope this did not come off as braggy cuz I don't mean it to be. I mean it to be encouraging. You can do this!!!!

Recently quit smoking myself, ready! Hard thing to do, but it's been over two months for me now. I used Chantix per my surgeon's recommendation. He told me I'd have to be smoke-free at least one month before he'd operate on me. That lit a fire under my fat ass!

I want a healthier life. I want to be able to run. Hell, I want to be able to walk and not be out of breath. I want to see my 5 year old go through all of life's big moments, and I want her to be proud of me and not ashamed.

This is the second time I've quit smoking and it wasn't easy, but it's worth it. You will feel better and be happier and live longer. Plus smoking stinks really bad. People tell me I smell good now. And my hair smells fabulous! Lol

Anyways, I hope this did not come off as braggy cuz I don't mean it to be. I mean it to be encouraging. You can do this!!!!

Girl you better brag about the extreme achievement! I'm proud of you! Somtimes I can't believe that I'm doing it...there has never been anything I've wanted more and I refuse to let cigarettes keep me from it. And yes it does stink.

Girl you better brag about the extreme achievement! I'm proud of you! Somtimes I can't believe that I'm doing it...there has never been anything I've wanted more and I refuse to let cigarettes keep me from it. And yes it does stink.

Thanks!! You can do it too!! Keep up the good work!!

We are definitely on the same page! I quit a 25 year smoking addition a little over a month ago. It truly sucked the first week or two...it definitely gets easier, but I still get the urge to smoke a few times a day...just know the craving will go away whether you smoke or not....so I just choose "not".

I have also become obsessive about getting sleeved...honestly it's almost like I have put my life on pause until I have the surgery and while I wait all I do is scour the interwebs for more more more information! It doesn't help that quitting smoking has turned me into an eating machine!

I am ready to get this done!

Off the cigarette subject for just a quick sec, what are you all looking up on YouTube? Are you just searching "gastric sleeve"? I'm prolly gonna regret asking cuz I'll be even more obsessed, but I'm super curious!

We are definitely on the same page! I quit a 25 year smoking addition a little over a month ago. It truly sucked the first week or two...it definitely gets easier, but I still get the urge to smoke a few times a day...just know the craving will go away whether you smoke or not....so I just choose "not".

I have also become obsessive about getting sleeved...honestly it's almost like I have put my life on pause until I have the surgery and while I wait all I do is scour the interwebs for more more more information! It doesn't help that quitting smoking has turned me into an eating machine!

I am ready to get this done!

Ok so I thought I was the only one who felt as if life was on pause until this surgery had been completed. I think more often than not "I cant wait until...." and it makes me more anxious and yet I dont want to stop because I do not want to loose this drive. I have always been a person who was motivated to work out only by results. Dont get me wrong I would go to the gym but I had no true certainity that this workout would really count. OMG, if I dont think all the time about how hard I will work out and better plan my meals. I feel like I am waiting to really start living. BTW: I am trying altoids when the cravings get crazy.