Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery lap band fears

I'm brand new here and about 4-6 weeks away from lap band surgery. I was doing great and had totally made up my mind about the surgery until yesterday. I told a friend about my plans and she was mortified by this. She said she had seen many people fail and/or end up with major complications. I Googled lapband complications and there are a number of people out there who are not happy about their surgery.

After reading that, I'm second guessing myself and would like to get some feedback from others who have had success with the lap band. I'm freaking out. Is this normal? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. Nina

At least your doing your research as I think most of us do and want to know the good, bad , negative or positivies , Heck I even goggled my Surgeon and read up on him , just to make sure , yes I had 2 coworkers that had it done by the same doc but I had to do the research my self and wrote down everything to get answers , and I am the kind of person that wants it straight not beat around the bush so I asked and told my Surgeon to let me know not in Doctor or medical terms lol but in everyday terms , so it is a choice , and that choice is yours , don't let any one encourage or discourage you as I made a choice to have it done for me and I had people all around with yes or I don't think you should or I don't think your ready , well I am almost 2 years banded and I personally love having it , it helps but I still have to do a lot that I would not have been able to or even want to do , so it is a choice , good luck in what you decide and know it is not as easy as people may think.

Hi Nina,

You are 100% normal! Most people have fears before any major operation, and before any major change in their lives. That is what this surgery will be for you if you choose to go forward with it.

Lapband or any other Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) requires 100% commitment from you. It's not an easy fix, it is a tool to help you better guide yourself into a healthy weight and more importantly to a healthy life style.

There are some who are unfortunate and experience complications from surgery at no fault of their own. This can happen with any surgery, for any number of reasons. It is the risk we take when we need to have any surgical procedure.

That said there are also some that do not comply with their doctors orders and do not follow the protocols as outlined for them by their healthcare and surgical teams and there for fail and create further complications that did not necessarily have to happen. Often these are the very people you will hear from and who will post comments about how this surgery failed them.

Keep an open mind when you read comments as you never can tell where someone is coming from. My best advice to you is to go back to your bariatric surgeon or surgical group and have a one to one talk with them about your concerns. They will be able to tell you what their success rate is of compliant patients who have done well with the band and/or other WLS as well as the rate of complications they have seen in their patients who had complications and what type of complications they had.

If you are confidant in your Dr. and you feel that you are ready to make this life change and be 100% compliant with your surgery and your Dr nothing anyone has to say especially if they have not had surgery will enough to cause you any irrational fear.

I wish you all the best, as you get closer to your date.

Oh by the way you can , click on pics and see the before , during or after , some of us have posted , to see , I still do it .

There are complications with the band for sure. Just realize that hundreds of thousands of people have the band and obviously many who fail with the band will scream bloody murder.

And to be sure, the lapband is less forgiving than the gastric sleeve. If you don't follow the rules with the band, you can have some very unhealthy complications beyond not losing weight.

And, be aware that most of us have some kind of eating disorder or addiction. Facing those addictions and not overcoming them can lead to denial just like most other addictions. I was listening today to someone on youtube who admitted to being a binger and was angry that she couldn't lose weight even though she loved and ate ice cream. It was all the band's fault. She took no responsibility for her own actions.

tmf

Thank you so much for the words of wisdom and support. I'll be seeing the surgeon again soon and will discuss my concerns with her. I've also gone back and forth between the band and the sleeve, but my surgeon hasn't done many sleeves and she's the only surgeon I can use here. Lots to think about.

All I can say is I am 4 years banded and would have done it again in a heart beat.

You are normal in your fears. I had the same issue with the negativity. I just won't read or listen to anything negative. I only look for the positive.

This is your decision and yours alone to make. The negative is you not taking the necessary steps to become a healthier you.

You'll be fine. :-)

All I can say is I am 4 years banded and would have done it again in a heart beat.

And I'm three years out and would do it all over again as well. I'm a very happy bandster.

Well, I was banded in 2007 at 250 lbs. Lost 100 lbs in 6 mos beacuse I went by the rules!!!! Over the past few years, I started cheating some and forgetting some rules. I got down to 150 lbs and now at 173. Found out my band has slipped so going back under to reposition it Feb. 14. I can't wait wait. I don't think I will want my band to be as tight has I have had it in the past. I've learned that you must exercise and eat healthy. Think if your body like a car. You have to keep the oil changed and filters clean for it to last 200K miles, well you have to put in good fuel to your body to feel good too. Even if I had the band removed, I am far better off today than before because getting banded to begin with gave me that tool and condifendce to help myself. I could've never done it by myself. Now that I know what I need to do, I could be ok with out but I know it still would be hard. So I choose to have my band repositioned instead of removed (hopefully) so I won't be hungry all the time.

You can't go by what others say or what you read about people. You have to know what you are capable of doing and are you willing to give up so much to get healthier. You won't be joining people eating all the time at parties and when you go out to dinner, you will eat like a little bird. It's your choice.

I'll say one thing! I'd do it again and again because I am healthier now and feel 20 years younger. Yes, sometimes, I think I'd like to eat the entire pizza, etc. but now I tell myself, that's why I got to 250 and it's not good for me and I don't want to go back to getting out of breath with I tie my shoes, etc. I can do so much now. I'm jogging and exercising. You can do it to!

Good luck!

I'm brand new here and about 4-6 weeks away from lap band surgery. I was doing great and had totally made up my mind about the surgery until yesterday. I told a friend about my plans and she was mortified by this. She said she had seen many people fail and/or end up with major complications. I Googled lapband complications and there are a number of people out there who are not happy about their surgery.

After reading that, I'm second guessing myself and would like to get some feedback from others who have had success with the lap band. I'm freaking out. Is this normal? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. Nina

Edited by Lumpy

Hello and welcome. The band is the best thing I have done for me and my health. I had problems and my lung doctor has his assistant make an appointment with the surgeon and said to me, you are getting this. I never asked any questions, I never looked on line and I didn't find this site until after I had the band. Maybe not knowing was the best way, I don't know.

I have been banded for 1 1/2 years and have lost 75-80 pounds depending on the day. I am 63, married, mother, mother-in-law and grandmother to 3 wonderful boys and I can move around better than I could at 50. I have been over weight most of my life off and on. I would like to lose 40-50 more but my doctor thinks I am great where I am.

Do it for you, your health and not your friends. We are all here to help you and hopefully we can answer all your questions.

Good luck.

Arlene

It's definitely good for you to research the pros and cons of the surgery coming up. I did the same and had the same apprehensions. One thing that helped for me was that you can read about failures of just about any diet out there - weight watchers, Paleo, Atkins, etc. you just need to realize is this the tool that you need for your health. It's not a magical cure all.

One thing that I like about the band over the sleeve is that this is completely reversible. If it doesn't work out for you, it can be removed and/or you can have the sleeve at that time. I've failed at many sheets in the past. I am worried about losing the weight and it finding me again. I'm only two months out. If you stay on this forum and stick with myfitnesspal you should be ok with all the motivation out there.

I remember sitting on the gurney, all prepped and ready to be wheeled in...and I still had 2nd thoughts right up to the point i went under......

But I also kept telling myself how much I worked for this, how long I waited and hoped for a miracle, and how much my life depended upon it....if I were to back out, what would I return to? What would be the alternative? I HAD to make the change....no matter the fears and concerns...

I have not had one single complication....I have lost all my excess weight...every day is just another normal day now, completing the process, living a normal life at a normal weight....never having to be burdened with the thoughts of loosing weight and dieting.... fitting in proper size clothes, having a high self esteem and self image....and excellent health....

Best decision I could have ever made....

Again, what would have been the alternative???

Edited by B-52

5 years here and my advise is NO LAPBAND. IF i could do it again I would do the sleeve.

Oh, and like many other forums, we have trolls here too!