Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on a Friday...back to work Monday

You might be comfortable if you are sitting up , and even when you get home as it is kind of hard to get out of a lying flat position most of us slept sitting in our comfy chairs or recliners , so if you don't have to lift or move a lot or even stand a lot then I just my opinion think you will be o k , I know someone very close I worked with and she did the same as you , so I told her to ask for help if she needed it that I didn't mind , she did fine , of course she also took her pain medication and kept a medicine cup near and her water bottle so she could sip every fifteen min, and she did fine , as we have to lift at least 50 lbs. at work and have to stand for 8 hrs. total , we both worked in the Deli so just my opinion I feel you should be o k , now I couldn't as I am a big baby and don't like pain , but that is just me .

Thanks Debbie, that makes me feel much better when I read about your friend!

I am one of those people who can't sit still....at the 3 day mark after surgery, I was climbing the walls, had to get out and do something...which I did...

I got very tired, very fast, and just wanted to get home and lay down....

At 5 days I went back to my office, and then I could not stay very long.....

I had surgery on a Friday also, took the following week off as vacation time, returned to work the Monday after the week...10 days after surgery...

Thanks B-52...sounds like I am just going to have to listen to my body, because even if my mind is ready, my body may disagree...

I was very sick with severe gas pains and nausea. Everyone is different but I really think you need a week atleast to recover from this surgery. Keep in mind besides the effect of the surgery you will also be very tired as a result of only consuming small amounts of liquids. I flew home 3 days after my surgery and I can honestly say it was the worst flight of my life. If you rush your recovery you may find you will end up being off work longer than you would just taken the proper amount of time off in the first place. I am sure this not what you wanted to hear but I found out the hard way. I am self employed who felt I couldn't afford to be off long, but I quickly found out the body does not always respond the way you want it to. Good luck.

Thanks Wade...I appreciate the feedback and it is something I need to hear so I don't get over zealous right after surgery.

Hi exactly the same issue as you, im due to be banded on 21 Feb, was told that its possible to return after 3 days but its normal for a weeks rest. So for myself I wil be having 4 days of work then i must return.

Andy, good luck to you on your Feb 21st date! I will let you know how it goes for me with going back to work early.

I'm only taking 3 days off as well. I'm 100% healthy no issues at all other then weight, young and have a desk job. I had open abdominal surgery on a Thursday and drove myself to nursing school on a Monday. I figure if I can do that I can handle a laparoscopic surgery :)

Wow Valarie, I think you have me beat by a long shot on being tough! Thanks for the feedback and it's good to know others are doing this too.

Yes, the lapband only. Wow, so glad you are doing okay after all of that! Was your other pain besides gas from the incisions?

Well surgery was over a year ago so I'm all good now. I had muscle spasms where the port is stitched in. Could actually see my skin quiver when one was happening. And then there was just pain in the abdominal area from the hernia repair and plication. I was swollen for weeks. Never felt the need to rush through the post op diet and just not hungry. Also I have a 30 mile commute in traffic and drive a manual transmission. The thought of shifting gears in traffic made me glad I was off work for two weeks.

I went back after 4 days. I'm a social worker so nothing strenuous. Keep moving around or the gas will kill you. Not all of us are able to take time off, and I did not tell anyone that I was having surgery.

Linda

The abdominal binder is a really great idea. You'll feel protected and tucked in -- and a reminder to you to take it easy getting up and down, etc. I'd start walking now and be in the best shape possible, then walk as soon as you can post-op. I put some serious miles up and down the hospital corridors and think that really helped kick my body into healing mode -- and to shrug off the anesthesia. I had an ibuprofen drip in the hospital then used liquid Tylenol at home. I had a filled prescription for narcotics on hand but did not need to go that route. An ice pack might be a good thing to have with you -- could grab it out of the fridge and apply in the ladies' room for a bit if your port area or other incisions are sore. I enjoyed Popsicles during this time so you might want to take in some boxes of those (every one will want one!). I think you may feel very tired those first few days and that you should take off early and go home as soon as you get that signal as your body needs to heal -- be sure to listen to that. This choice for a healthy future is a big decision and far more important than anything else. It's why you are doing it -- your health matters. So take it easy and don't get too stressed or too tired. Keep choosing yourself first!

I am a bill collector and I just had surgery on Friday the 24th. Was back to work on Monday with no problems. Even had a trial to attend that I had to walk a few blocks to the courthouse. I felt wonderful. I also worked over 50 hours this week with no discomfort from the surgery.Just take it easy and watch the bending, twisting and do not lift anything. I only took my pain meds on the first day. My knee surgery that I had over a year ago was more traumatic than this.

I'm an engineer (mental desk job). My surgeons office typically does the surgery on Wednesday and people return to work on a Monday. I actually took 3 weeks but that was a combo of vacation time and holiday shut down time). I tried to work remotely from home about 3 days out and with the narcotics my brain was mush. I was able to get out and walk a lot but my brain was very slow. If you're in a busy season of accounting are you able to wait a couple of months till it's less busy? What happens if you push yourself to return early and you make some mistake (legal repercussions or minor no big deal)? Does someone double check your work for errors? I kept up with my meds as allowed and wasn't in too bad of pain. I lived with the ice pack on the belly and heating pad on the shoulder. I wish you the best of luck but I'd recommend more time off and/or postponing till you have the time.

I was just banded 4 days ago, and there's no way I could go back to work tomorrow. I'm still in a lot of pain, gas pain, as well as pain from my incisions. I bruise easily, and I have a huge one in the center of my stomach. I'm also still pretty tired. That's just me. You may be a lot better than I am. At least going back to work will give you something else to focus on. I'm going nuts with boredom here! :)

listen to your body...it will tell you if you are okay enough to go back

you maybe able to....i have read some people be able to do that.....

good luck

I'm having surgery on a Wednesday and going back to work on a Monday. If this is anything like having a tubaligation then I'm good. Good luck to you.

I had the great idea that I was going to have my surgery on Friday and go back to work on Monday. I have a desk job so I figured I would be good to go. Well I ended up taking off the next week. I slept alot the first 3 days and wearing clothes around my incision areas was difficult. When I went back to work the next week I was ok. I did have alot of gas pains in my shoulder and that took about a week to go away. I also had a tubaligation and it was only one incision. The lap band was 5 incisions, so it is a bit different. Good luck and hopefully going back on Monday will work for you!

I had the great idea that I was going to have my surgery on Friday and go back to work on Monday. I have a desk job so I figured I would be good to go. Well I ended up taking off the next week. I slept alot the first 3 days and wearing clothes around my incision areas was difficult. When I went back to work the next week I was ok. I did have alot of gas pains in my shoulder and that took about a week to go away. I also had a tubaligation and it was only one incision. The lap band was 5 incisions, so it is a bit different. Good luck and hopefully going back on Monday will work for you!

I suppose everyone tolerates pain differently. My tubal didn't take me down like I thought. And I wasn't my incision that hurt. It was actual manipulation of the tubes. But to each his/her own. Glad you got better soon thereafter.