Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed bandster planning for sleeve

Hi all,

I haven't posted here in years!

I'll try to give a quick recap of my history... I had lap band surgery back in 2008. I did well in the first year, lost 70 pounds, felt great for the most part with less hunger and cravings. But then I started having reflux issues. Not acid reflux, but at night I would wake up choking on... basically saliva. It was really unpleasant and worrisome that one day I wouldn't wake up and just asphyxiate in my sleep. Turned out my band had slipped. Had revision surgery in 2009, but was never able to get back to the sweet spot I had in the first year. Even though my band never slipped again, when it's tight enough to help me out I get that same night reflux thing (even if I haven't eaten for 2-3 hours before bed).

So at this point I've gained back all the lost weight and am in the process of trying to get insurance approval for the sleeve.

I never had other typical band problems - didn't get stuck a lot, never felt too tight during the day with eating and drinking. It was just the sleep choking issue that caused me not to be able to keep the band tight. I have barely any liquid in my band now.

I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem with the band and had better success with the sleeve. My worst fear is that I get sleeved and then have that problem forever!

Another question - my husband says he's worried about longterm health problems with the sleeve. He was comfortable with me getting the band, but the sleeve is freaking him out a bit. Wondering if anyone knows anything about longterm studies maybe in other countries, since it hasn't been done in the US for very long.

Thanks so much - I look forward to participating in this community if/when I am approved for this surgery!!

Susan

Hello there, Just wanted to say so sorry for your problems. I would say we would not have any long term health problems if we had not done the sleeve 2 months ago, as our health had worsened so much and I was afraid my husband would die. We are 66 and 65, and began WL seminars 10 years ago. Until the sleeve. Thank God. Life is fabulous! The stories I read here make me thankful he would not do the band. I am 100% for you changing to the sleeve before your health worsens.

Thank you Linda!!

That makes me feel better. And so happy for you and your husband!

Yeah, I wish I had just done the sleeve to begin with. Alas...

Something I found in my research on the sleeve is that it has actually been around longer than people think as it is the first step in the duodenal switch surgery; my understanding is that for extremely obese people they would perform the sleeve portion first then allow the patient to recover, loose a significant amount of weight then finish the procedure. Surgeons then noticed that patients were succeeding without the 2nd procedure. Speaking for myself I had the band for two years and when it was removed my surgeon found it had caused some erosion so it likely would have caused me a larger problem. The sleeve surgery has been great, I did the math today & realized I have hit 25% of my goal in just 3 1/2 months! I didn't even come close to that with the band.

Ok, if you have been reading here long you know my story. I had lots of issues over the 10 years I had the band including what you describe. In addition, I was pretty much hungry all the time too. The sleeve has been a much more effective tool for me. Look at my profile for details but I lost over half my starting weight...the sleeve has saved me.

One clear long term issue is risk of acid/reflux/GERD issues with the sleeve. Research indicates that about 3 to 6years post op alot of people develop a problem. I debated nearly a year whether I was willing to accept that risk....of basically needing to be on meds for it forever. I simply cannot believe there is no long term consequences of having most of your stomach removed -I take this very seriously. There is no going back once it is done. It scares me a little of so many very young or low BMI people getting sleeved....this is a big deal.

However, I had 100percent chance of early disability and death as a300 pounder with comorbidities. I needed to do something to save my life. The sleeve has helped me accomplish the unthinkable...normal body weight and a fit and active life. Best thing I could have done. No regrets and so far no acid! I am a sleeve evangelist!

Something I found in my research on the sleeve is that it has actually been around longer than people think as it is the first step in the duodenal switch surgery; my understanding is that for extremely obese people they would perform the sleeve portion first then allow the patient to recover, loose a significant amount of weight then finish the procedure. Surgeons then noticed that patients were succeeding without the 2nd procedure. Speaking for myself I had the band for two years and when it was removed my surgeon found it had caused some erosion so it likely would have caused me a larger problem. The sleeve surgery has been great, I did the math today & realized I have hit 25% of my goal in just 3 1/2 months! I didn't even come close to that with the band.

Thanks for the reminder on that! So if there were significant long-term issues with the sleeve they would have come out by now. So happy to hear about your success!!

Ok, if you have been reading here long you know my story. I had lots of issues over the 10 years I had the band including what you describe. In addition, I was pretty much hungry all the time too. The sleeve has been a much more effective tool for me. Look at my profile for details but I lost over half my starting weight...the sleeve has saved me.

One clear long term issue is risk of acid/reflux/GERD issues with the sleeve. Research indicates that about 3 to 6years post op alot of people develop a problem. I debated nearly a year whether I was willing to accept that risk....of basically needing to be on meds for it forever. I simply cannot believe there is no long term consequences of having most of your stomach removed -I take this very seriously. There is no going back once it is done. It scares me a little of so many very young or low BMI people getting sleeved....this is a big deal.

However, I had 100percent chance of early disability and death as a300 pounder with comorbidities. I needed to do something to save my life. The sleeve has helped me accomplish the unthinkable...normal body weight and a fit and active life. Best thing I could have done. No regrets and so far no acid! I am a sleeve evangelist!

I have read some of your posts - but I will take a look at more to understand your history. So great to hear that you had similar issues as me and have had such tremendous success with the sleeve! The acid issue is concerning, but a risk I'm willing to live with. Indeed it is far outweighed (no pun intended) by the risks my weight poses... thanks for your comments!

SO Here I am 1 yr out and only 20 lbs down TOTAL! with the Band.. I CANT keep anything down.. I just had all my Fluid removed.. can't eat solids ALWAYS felt restriction and vomited/slimed/coughed/belched almost daily and still NO significant weight loss. Mind you the 1st 20 LBS came off right after surgery. I can't eat meat! forget bread noodles Pasta of any kind! I don't try to cheat I am not a snacker. I just plateaued 2 months after tighten and loosened. My Surgeon sent me to have an endoscopy at a True Results center and I got slammed with a $17k facility fee and a $10k endoscopy fee. Which was more than the Lapband all together. I can't believe this. I wanted this "TOOL" to work and assist me. Today we discussed Revision to sleeve but My insurance will only cover 1 surgery for life of the plan. He wants to remove it ASAP stating I am just not compatible with the band. He is deeming it medically necessary to remove band.. But then what!?? No revision? Someone please tell me how this will work with my Insurance. Antem Bcbs said the Doc needs to send in a preDetermination Deemed Medically necessary for me to have revision. Anyone experience this?? Please Help!!

Edited by PhatKat1127

OMG so sorry for what you have gone through. Best of luck and prayers too.

Phatkat - I'm so sorry to hear all of that! Just crazy that your insurance won't cover those costs. I wish I had something helpful to say, but I just don't know... I had my original lap band surgery in Mexico and had a very good experience. That's my only thought for you is that you may be able to get revised to sleeve there without paying as much as you would here without insurance coverage. But still not cheap!

Wishing you the best in finding a solution!

Susan

Dear thesuse2000 -- I know from where you come. I had the band for a year and spent it hanging over the toilet or throwing up in plastic bags I HAD to keep in my car. I had over 25 band adjustments. I would throw-up and not be able to stop. It would go on for hours and the pain was excruciating. There was no specific "trigger" -- every meal put me in fear of triggering another episode. I lost only 5lbs, was horribly depressed and felt hopeless even though I was working out with a trainer 3 days a week!

My doctor finally deemed me band incompatible and there were a lot of hoops to jump through with documentation: food log, work out log, letter from trainer, another endoscope,... finally we got approved and ran to the table.

I was so scared about the gastric sleeve especially with the band failure. I went with the band because I was having a hard time thinking about life with only a pouch for a stomach -- but continiuing down the path I was on was not an option. I was prepared to have two procedures but my doctor did the removal and sleeve in one. The recovery was not bad at all -- just follow the instructions. Its no joke.

Since my surgery one year ago I am down from a size 20 to a 12! I have had slips and catch myself because I am afraid of going back. I exercise and have even climbed a mountain!

I still have some vomiting issues -- even sleeping, if I roll a certain way and it triggers a spell. But it is much more managable and when you see results -- you look towards the future.

I struggle with body image issues. I still see myself as morbidly obese and I am terrified of gaining weight. I also work really hard on coping with peoples reactions to me. For example -- "Your hair is red" ME: "Its been red for three years" -- "No really, I never noticed" -- You realize people are so busy looking at your size they don't see you. I hadn't seen my regional VP in over 6 months and he didn't know who I was -- he passed me three times until I finally stopped him and "re-introduced" myself! This journey is very complicated and I realise that I will always be working on the physical and the mental aspects. But I would rather have this any day -- my energy, activity and overall quality of life are off the charts. And trust me -- when you don't need a seat belt extender on a plane, you have to re-adjust all the settings on your car seat and your feet shrink a size -- those are the things you Celebrate -- along with a healthier respect and relationship with food. Its just Protein -- not my friend!

Go for it and enjoy the experience.

MLSisme - thanks so much for sharing your story!! I'm so happy for you that you've had such great success with the sleeve! And so great for me to hear. I appreciate you also sharing the hard parts. It's good for us all to be reminded that the sleeve is far from a quick fix. I'm looking now for a new therapist who specializes in weight issues or even WLS surgery issues. I want to set myself as well as possible for success.

My good news is that I actually got insurance approval this week! So I'm in. For work reasons I'm going to wait until June to do the surgery. That also gives me a few months to really prepare and learn as much as I can.

I wish you the best with your continued success and getting acclimated to your new body/life!

-Susan

Well it's official My new surgeon and 2nd opinion confirmed my am suffering from lapband intolerance and confirmed band was not salvageable and needed to Come out ASAP!

He was appalled that I had 8 incisions when his practice is only 3. On feb 19 2014 my band was removed. I'm back at 213.. And don't see signs of this stoping. As I suffer with PCOS, metabolic disease, and throughout the 1st yr I had severe increase in Migraines and began to have seizures. I feel like a complete failure.. I can't even lose weight with MAJOR SURGERY!!!

Now I'm her with 12 incisions and no resolution!

Body dismorphia has set in!

I am sooooo miserable! And even more in debt than before!

My 1st surgeon had his office send a request to convert to sleeve but I was denied instantly!

Turns out my 1st surgeon made no real mention of my "lapband intolerance" Thus the reason for me leaving his office for good! I was never told about this intolerance issue would ever be a possibility! He said I was the 1st to have it removed from his office! Big lie! I did research I'm #25 in the year 2013 alone!

I am appealing the decision with my New surgeon who agreed the band could not be salvaged!

Now what!?

Height 5'1 31 years old

12/7/12 224 starting weight surgery day

12/7/13 205

Day of LAPBAND REMOVAL surgery 2/19/14

Weight 207

Today 3/2/14 213

Phat I am so sorry you have had all these problems and I wish you well. The information you have shared is the reason we all should be informed before we have WLS. We researched for years before we had the sleeve, and we never had all this information at our fingertips. I hope your appeal is very successful and I wish you the very best. Linda