Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got out of the hospital. Still can't get fluids in. I don't know what to do.

I had a real hard time with fluids the first week. I found if i chewed on crushed ice it was better and also SF popsicles. I then set a timer and forced myself to drink one ounce of Water every 15 minutes. After two days of this it became easier to get fluids in. I hope you can find what works for you.

Try a bunch of different fluids. Early on it was easier for me to drink warm drinks like tea and Unjury chicken broth. Also, mix gatorade with Water and try it. Sometimes you need to add a bit of flavoring to break the tension of plain water. Drink small sips. Don't worry too much about Protein the first weeks. You must get your fluids in or you will become dehydrated. Think of it as taking medicine. Set a reminder on your phone for every 15 minutes. One to two ounces every 15 minutes will keep you from being dehydrated. You may have more swelling than average. Don't be afraid to call your doctor and ask him what to do.

I had a problem with plain Water after surgery (before surgery, plain Water was great). I got dehydrated on Day 3 - it sucked, you don't want that to happen.

I drank Vitamin Water Zero and Propel Zero - I could stomach that better than plain water. Doc also said Powerade Zero was good.

The first few days I set the alarm on my phone to go off every 5 minutes - it would chime and I would take a sip.

I hope things get better for you!

I slept because of Migraines for 2 days when I came home but I think my body was so full of Fluid from IV it kept me safe. I did have a hard time to and found warm Decaf tea really helped. Now I am day 5/6 and make myself hydrate. This is all new to us but this to shall pass. You will feel better once you can drink. Good luck to us both.

Hi, have you tried sugar free popsicles? When I wasn't getting enough hydration my Dr. Suggested them. She said it's tricks your body into taking in fluids. She said one gets you about 2oz of fluids. Sorry you are still not feeling better.

You might need to start sipping on some Gatorade G2, they also have sugar free too. It helps so much with hydration and you dont wont to end up back at the hospital for dehydration.

I agree with others the warm of beef brooth is so nice on your stomach, just drink slow and steady.

Sending healing prayers you way!

Are you having problems due to nausea? If that's the case, I'm sure your doctor can give you some antinausea medication that would help you. :)

For whatever reason (I think the pH balance) I find Fiji Water much easier going down than anything else.

Just got out of the hospital. Still can't get fluids in. I don't know what to do.

I'm hanging in too.....got sleeved on Monday and they had to go back in on Tuesday because of clots....had to get a transfusion and was finally discharged on Thursday. liquids were tough but made a warm broth that really helped. Anything cold hurt. But seriously, TAKE IT EASY. Slip slow and mix your juice with Water. First night home I did not sleep. I'd been getting up to go to the bathroom every hour so I'd sleep in spurts. The Dr then called in a prescriprion for xanax and it finally let me sleep. He said that I had a setback with the second surgery and the transfusion so I have to take it easy. Maybe your Dr can give you something to easy you anxiety of it. It really helped me. I'm up walking around but nothing too crazy.

Also I'm on mobile and didn't know how to start a new thread no any help would be great!

I'm hanging in too.....got sleeved on Monday and they had to go back in on Tuesday because of clots....had to get a transfusion and was finally discharged on Thursday. liquids were tough but made a warm broth that really helped. Anything cold hurt. But seriously, TAKE IT EASY. Slip slow and mix your juice with Water. First night home I did not sleep. I'd been getting up to go to the bathroom every hour so I'd sleep in spurts. The Dr then called in a prescriprion for xanax and it finally let me sleep. He said that I had a setback with the second surgery and the transfusion so I have to take it easy. Maybe your Dr can give you something to easy you anxiety of it. It really helped me. I'm up walking around but nothing too crazy.

Also I'm on mobile and didn't know how to start a new thread no any help would be great!

How did they know you had clots? I was sleeved Wednesday and my calf's hurt like I've been exercising.. is that normal?

Also how many days is it going to take for it not to hurt when I drink?

I'm almost 4 weeks post op. Just started getting tough for me.

What is making it tough for you? I was just sleeved Wednesday...

How did they know you had clots? I was sleeved Wednesday and my calf's hurt like I've been exercising.. is that normal?

Also how many days is it going to take for it not to hurt when I drink?

I had the surgery on Monday and that night I was experiencing severe sweats and my blood count was very low as was my blood pressure so the next morning when they checked my blood again the doctor said that we can either wait for new blood results to see if they've gone up or go ahead and go in and see if there was a clock around the lining area. So there I was going in again the following morning. This was before the esophogram, I wasn't allowed to have esophogram until the Wednesday after my second surgery. When they went in on Tuesday they found a severe clot and I lost a lot of blood and had to be given a transfusion the next day when I had my esophogram luckily Thank God everything was okay and I was able to go home on Thursday. It's uncomfortable at first for the liquids to go down as soon as I was able to have some broth that was soaking chicken and flavored well the warmth of the broth made me feel so much better I am also relying on the sugar free ice pops as well. The first couple of nights were beyond difficult but it's really getting better everyday I have to say though the Xanax completely helped me sleep. I am still trying to find out how to release the tightness I feel sometimes when i swallow I don't know if it's gas or if its just normal but that has been the only thing that has really bothered me. It's also important to get up and walk around I was up walking and it really helps relieve the tightness in my chest and stomach. I am so glad I found this site it's really been a blessing god bless everyone on this journey I can't believe I didn't see this sooner but I am on my way and that is the only thing that counts

I had the surgery on Monday and that night I was experiencing severe sweats and my blood count was very low as was my blood pressure so the next morning when they checked my blood again the doctor said that we can either wait for new blood results to see if they've gone up or go ahead and go in and see if there was a clock around the lining area. So there I was going in again the following morning. This was before the esophogram, I wasn't allowed to have esophogram until the Wednesday after my second surgery. When they went in on Tuesday they found a severe clot and I lost a lot of blood and had to be given a transfusion the next day when I had my esophogram luckily Thank God everything was okay and I was able to go home on Thursday. It's uncomfortable at first for the liquids to go down as soon as I was able to have some broth that was soaking chicken and flavored well the warmth of the broth made me feel so much better I am also relying on the sugar free ice pops as well. The first couple of nights were beyond difficult but it's really getting better everyday I have to say though the Xanax completely helped me sleep. I am still trying to find out how to release the tightness I feel sometimes when i swallow I don't know if it's gas or if its just normal but that has been the only thing that has really bothered me. It's also important to get up and walk around I was up walking and it really helps relieve the tightness in my chest and stomach. I am so glad I found this site it's really been a blessing god bless everyone on this journey I can't believe I didn't see this sooner but I am on my way and that is the only thing that counts

Hey there!

Thank you for answering that for me! I am also glad I found this forum it is helpful. How much walking are you doing exactly? I'm on day 4.