Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couple of food and timeframe questions

When can I eat?

1. olives

2. Potato chips

3. Pickled corn

4. Beef brisket

5. Have bread on a burger

6. Corn on the cob

7. Doritos

8. Nectarines

9. salad w/ romaine lettuce

What are you guys craving that you cant have?.....yet

Shelby

That timeframe is different for every person. Ask yourself these questions:

Can you get all your Protein in? I had no room for anything besides Protein and a bite or two of veggies for a few months.

Do acidic foods bother you? I couldn't eat most fruits till many, many months after surgery. I missed the stone fruit season the year I was sleeved.

Do starchy foods make you sick? I couldn't eat bread, Pasta, potatoes, or rice till about 9 months to one year.

Are you losing weight consistently every week? Some foods are pretty calorie dense. I didn't eat those foods till I was close to goal.

Does eating that food make you want more? Some people have to give up certain foods because they cannot eat them in small amounts. There are many foods I only eat when out because I know I would eat more than I should if they were in my hone.

Lynda

That timeframe is different for every person. Ask yourself these questions: Can you get all your Protein in? I had no room for anything besides Protein and a bite or two of veggies for a few months. Do acidic foods bother you? I couldn't eat most fruits till many, many months after surgery. I missed the stone fruit season the year I was sleeved. Do starchy foods make you sick? I couldn't eat bread, Pasta, potatoes, or rice till about 9 months to one year. Are you losing weight consistently every week? Some foods are pretty calorie dense. I didn't eat those foods till I was close to goal. Does eating that food make you want more? Some people have to give up certain foods because they cannot eat them in small amounts. There are many foods I only eat when out because I know I would eat more than I should if they were in my hone. Lynda

I Believe theres all very good questions ...I do understand the timeframes are different for every person ....particularly things that seem like they are soft and should be fairly easy ....there's a lot of tricky things with food and for example I would love to have olives.... Now I know olives are high in fat but you can also get them more healthy ....I haven't known anyone mention anything about olives.... I also like soybean pod and I've heard people saying they have to wait till they eat it... I was just curious about when other people started to be able to eat and tolerate some of these things without having problems but I agree with you everyone is different.

Shel

I would be very very careful of almost all of that .. Why after all your hard work would you want t go back to bread, doritos etc etc... Please be careful with what your doing on your new found "you".. Why ruin it. One dorito leads to 2 leads to 3 and then a BAG FULL.....Just doesnt make sense. I wish noone bad only good. Stay healthy.. Eliminate all middle aisles at the grocery store. You only need fruits, grains, meats etc

Chris

I see no issue with eating olives. However, I would not be eating more than 3 or 4 at a time. The other stuff, I don't know. I ate slow cooker pot roast last week and had no problem. That would be close to beef brisket I imagine.

I really want salad with grape tomatoes and red onion.

I am 7 weeks out and can finally eat most things except for Pasta. I try to eat only nutritious foods.. However, I am seeing a nutritionist on a monthly basis. She did indicate to me that. As times go by..she does want me to enjoy some Snacks every once in a while..like a cookie, small piece of dessert. Etc. The all or nothing eating is what has gotten me in trouble all these years. Either I will be 100 percent compliant , if not then I would binge. She told me it's that attitude that I need to resolve. At this time I don't care to have sweets, which was my culprit..big time. Sugar and high fat Desserts. Instead I have sugar free Jello, Sugar Free Chocolate pudding , Popsicle every once in a while. Of corse if u decide to have your cravings that was listed, can u control yourself to have a very small portion' every once in a while.

I would be very very careful of almost all of that .. Why after all your hard work would you want t go back to bread, doritos etc etc... Please be careful with what your doing on your new found "you".. Why ruin it. One dorito leads to 2 leads to 3 and then a BAG FULL.....Just doesnt make sense. I wish noone bad only good. Stay healthy.. Eliminate all middle aisles at the grocery store. You only need fruits, grains, meats etc Chris

Understood and agreed....but I also thought that at some point one could eat "normal" foods, but just less...

Now that my tummy issues are better...im thinking about foods I like again.....:-(

Shel

I see no issue with eating olives. However, I would not be eating more than 3 or 4 at a time. The other stuff, I don't know. I ate slow cooker pot roast last week and had no problem. That would be close to beef brisket I imagine.

Yeah, i wasn't sure about olives either....they can be used in healthy recipes....just wasn't sure.

My NUT said no beef whatsoever....wasn't sure if that was "forever" or not....i miss that too :-(

Shel

Yum....what kind of dressing?

Shel

I am 7 weeks out and can finally eat most things except for Pasta. I try to eat only nutritious foods.. However, I am seeing a nutritionist on a monthly basis. She did indicate to me that. As times go by..she does want me to enjoy some Snacks every once in a while..like a cookie, small piece of dessert. Etc. The all or nothing eating is what has gotten me in trouble all these years. Either I will be 100 percent compliant , if not then I would binge. She told me it's that attitude that I need to resolve. At this time I don't care to have sweets, which was my culprit..big time. Sugar and high fat Desserts. Instead I have sugar free Jello, sugar free chocolate pudding , Popsicle every once in a while. Of corse if u decide to have your cravings that was listed, can u control yourself to have a very small portion' every once in a while.

I have been watching healthy cooking shows and i am looking forward to healthy meals, with some indulgences....a great deal of things i can eat on this diet, i already love....seafood, meats, veggies...and i am totally ok eating them in a healthy manner....

But i do miss artichoke, olives, pickled veggies and all my snack foods....Lord don't let me ever put a cashew in my mouth....it will be over!

Shel

Agree with above, but for me I was on full liquids 2 weeks then mushy foods 6 weeks. At 8 weeks out I was released to eat "regular food" that being said they mean normal healthy food! I am not to have bread, Pasta or rice for a year! I can eat a small amount of potato. Have I had a chip yup, but for me it's not worth it! I even tried ice cream(which I'm not really a sweets person) I felt fine after a few small bites but my head stopped me and said "why?" Just because I can now doesn't mean I should! I paid cash for this surgery, so I suppose I am really vested in giving it my best! My advice while it's hard to refrain from those yummy treats, do bc it's so easy to grab a handful next time :( From my perspective olives are ok say on a salad but not as a snack(I could eat a mountain of them) but in the big picture they can come back as well as other things in moderation! I'd keep your list and bring it to your next visit! Best of luck, it's so worth it, tho I'm only 10 weeks out I am so thankful I have my sleeve! Edit: as for the salad I had to wait to 8 weeks and that with BRISKET was first meal in 10 weeks how funny those were two of your choices! I didn't touch on all your questions but at some point you will be released to all foods and then it's up to you to decide what is worthy enough to fit in your tiny sleeve! Just for fun here's a pic of the "Smokin' Salad" my hubby and I "shared" when I got released! I couldn't even finish all my veggies but man it was so fresh and so yum! Had it again tonight actually!

Edited by CrissyRing77

Dunno why the pics wouldn't load

post-182072-0-14430900-1391221529_thumb.jpg

post-182072-0-20107700-1391221535_thumb.jpg

Yum....what kind of dressing?

Shel

Ranch or Catalina.

Wait, we can't have artichokes? I love those. I thought they were healthy if steamed? Now I'm curious ....

Of course, I'm only 15 days post-op so no where near anything like that (beef, olives, etc...). I still have 4 more days of cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, creamy Soups type thing before my next phase...

Edited by Domika03