Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Talking Off the Ledge

I am hoping someone can relate and talk me through this...I have been excited about my Feb. 14th date until today...I am having an overwhelming feeling that I will fail...I keep thinking that I obviously didn't have discipline before, which is why I am so grossly unattractive now, so how will I be able to succeed once I have this surgery? You have to be disciplined and know it is not the cure all, which realistically I get, but how do I make sure I don't fail with this like I have with every diet my entire life? So sorry for this self pity party...I just feel overwhelmed and have no one to talk to...

Well, we are all here to support each other. I just had surgery in October and have lost 74 pounds. I was also afraid I would fail as I have lost 100 pounds twice in my life. The truth is that weight loss surgery is the tool you were missing in all your other attempts at losing weight. It is so much easier to be disciplined when you don't feel hungry all the time, can't eat as much and see quick results. All of those factors will help you succeed and keep you on track. Also, there is a shift in thinking that comes with this surgery. This is a "permanent" decision, not just "hey I think I'll diet for a month and see what happens." Take a deep breath, step back from the ledge and count the days until you take the first step to a healthier and happier you. In the meantime feel free to drop me a line if feeling overwhelmed. We are all here to support each other. You can feel safe sharing your thoughts and fears about WLS here. Everyone is in the same boat and at different stages of the voyage.

The truth is that weight loss surgery is the tool you were missing in all your other attempts at losing weight. It is so much easier to be disciplined when you don't feel hungry all the time, can't eat as much and see quick results. All of those factors will help you succeed and keep you on track. Also, there is a shift in thinking that comes with this surgery. This is a "permanent" decision, not just "hey I think I'll diet for a month and see what happens." Take a deep breath, step back from the ledge and count the days until you take the first step to a healthier and happier you.

Maybe I have lost it, but when I read these words, a tear rolled down my face...it was exactly what I needed to read...thank you so much. This journey is turning pretty emotional for me, which I am not accustomed to, as I have always done my best to stay level headed. Thank you again for reading my post and taking the time to respond so graciously.

It is an emotional journey. I'm man enough to admit that this whole process has made me cry at times. You're not losing it, it's totally normal. It's not a small decision or one you make lightly, but it is a great decision for you future and your health.

It is an emotional journey. I'm man enough to admit that this whole process has made me cry at times. You're not losing it, it's totally normal. It's not a small decision or one you make lightly, but it is a great decision for you future and your health.

My surgery is feb 3rd and I am glad I found this forum.This has been so helpful.

My surgery is feb 3rd and I am glad I found this forum.This has been so helpful.

Congratulations on your upcoming date shondel ...I am new to this forum too...and am happy to read encouraging words from people like BrantS. Makes me realize I am not alone in the things I feel with my upcoming surgery.

Congratulations on your upcoming date shondel ...I am new to this forum too...and am happy to read encouraging words from people like BrantS. Makes me realize I am not alone in the things I feel with my upcoming surgery.

We are here to help each other out.I realize that we are a team.

I am going to add ,it will get easier after your banded as long as you follow your doctors meal plan and post op directions of what foods you can have and how much they want you o eat it will take a bit of time getting used to , ad let me tell you I could not stand change , how ever this is one of the best changes I chose to have done for my self and I am not a very patient person and on that note let me say I a not at goal or even close and in Sept. I will be 2 years banded , so it takes time , I think most of us have had this feeling even till they roll us ino the operating room , so it is normal , well what ever (YOU) choose good luck and make the decision for you as I did for me , also if you got through the pre op diet then you will get through the next phase it is hard and you will feel like your starving , but you will get through it in what ever you choose to do, good luck again.

I was banded about 6 weeks ago. Throughout my pre-op diet and especially when the surgery date was scheduled right up until surgery itself I had my doubts. This is major surgery. I kept thinking maybe one more time of trying such-and-such diet, but I knew those never helped me long term and I needed something serious. There will be times post op (especially immediately post op when you're in a lot of pain and can only drink liquids) wondering what did you just do. I do not have a long term success story to tell you, but just wanted to give you some encouragement that you're not alone. It does get better. It is a wonderful tool.

I was banded in September. On the morning of my surgery I considered running out of the hospital. I didn't. Two days after my surgery I cried and thought "what have I done?" Today, with a few short-lived pity parties thrown in for good measure, I can tell you this was the single best decision I have ever made for myself. I've lost nearly 90lbs, i have my hunger under control, my energy is way up, I hurt less, laugh more, and most importantly I am no longer a slave to food. Follow your doctor's plan, ask him questions, and come here for the best support. Good luck...you got this!

I think we have all felt the way you are feeling.. at 67 years of age I wondered what I was thinking when I decided to get a lapband. but, after a year and losing 60 lbs I am so happy I went through with it.. the night before my surgery I really thought about backing out.. my best friend came to be with me and she said what will you do if you don't have this surgery? She reminded me of all the diets and gimmicks I had tried through the years and how my health was steadily declining. You will have some days of thinking "why did I do this" but after you start losing those pounds and feeling so much better it will be worth it.. I promise you. We are all here to help you .

Everyone has said such great things on this thread. All so true! The other day I was talking about my lapband to someone who asked me why I just didn't eat smaller amounts...like I do with the lapband...without the surgery? And I told him that it just wasn't realistic for me to do so, because of the HUNGER.

I think this is WLS's strongest line of defense. When you dim the appetite, you greatly reduce the chances of food abuse. (Let's set aside eating for reasons other than appetite in this discussion.) I was a volume eater, not an emotional one, so the lapband has helped me in ways a traditional diet never could longterm.

Everything you are feeling right now as a pre-op most of us have felt. I did a lot of blog writing up to the date of my surgery, and one of the posts I wrote talks about how I refused to give in to my urge to do Weight Watchers "just one more time." I'd done WW a billion times, with always the same (failing) endgame. So to delay my surgery to see if I could go the non-surgical route "just one more time?" So glad I didn't chicken out. I'm already regretting I didn't do WLS earlier...I can only imagine if I had delayed this a year more or so...yikes. I'd surely be fatter than ever right now, instead of down 53 pounds since last March. (I'm a slow loser compared with many on here but I'm fine with that.)

My surgey date is 2/19/14. I couldn't be more excited about the procedure for this tool. The biggest factor in this is ME making the decision to take control.

I too am 5'10". I weigh 289. I used to weigh 266. 156.etc.. You back out of this you'll be 289! This isn't about OTHER people and what they think. They aren't you!

Do YOU and get to happy!

God Bless!

Starfish n coffee

Congratulations BrantS1976. An amazing success. Your reply is both informative and encouraging. I have just had my lap band done and I have already lost 7kg (15.75 pounds). I am still at the foothills of my path. I am a South African woman from Johannesburg.

post-204562-0-74924600-1391005167_thumb.jpg

I am hoping someone can relate and talk me through this...I have been excited about my Feb. 14th date until today...I am having an overwhelming feeling that I will fail...I keep thinking that I obviously didn't have discipline before, which is why I am so grossly unattractive now, so how will I be able to succeed once I have this surgery? You have to be disciplined and know it is not the cure all, which realistically I get, but how do I make sure I don't fail with this like I have with every diet my entire life? So sorry for this self pity party...I just feel overwhelmed and have no one to talk to...

as long as you try and do the best you can (and def follow your dr's instructions for best results) you will do just fine...be realistic...be open minded and understand its a day in and day out process...its not overnight quick/easy fix....you are very attractive right this moment and i know that the person is a scared female whose past dieting attempts has made her doubt herself......i know as that was me also 19 months ago....

you will eat good/healthy foods

exercise and you will lose weight.....let the band (or any WLS) help you...

you just help yourself.....you can do this....