Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm male, currently 60 years young. I had a VSG on 9/10/13. I gone from 430 pounds in May of 2013 to 269 as of today. Down 91 pounds since my Sleeve operation. My journey has been a long road to get here. I started in 1976 when I had to lose 40 pounds to get to 250 for an entrance weight for enlistment in the US NAVY. I tried to diet on my own while serving and yo-yo style was what happened. My health suffered. After I got out and was preparing to get married I wanted to lose weight again and used a DRs supervised exchange diet. Then after it worked I was back up even more. Next was NutriSystem. Lost 100 pounds then gained 130. Then it was the Nutrition Clinic, local hospital based program. While there I used the Protein Sparing diet that put me into ketosis. Lost 150 pounds then within two weeks started to load it on again. They put me into a group therapy program that was worthless. Some years later I decided with help from my family to try Weight Watchers. Again, losing was working. My high point was 482.6 pounds. The WW scales couldn't weigh me, I had to go to my docs and use his scales then tell the leader. I lost 192 pounds that time and thought I could hold it. I received program material from Duke University interested in my story as I had lost over 100 pounds for more than a year. I was so ashamed when the weight started to come back. I never filled out the paperwork. It used to infuriate me that I am smart enough to understand why I got fat and why couldn't I keep it off? That was about 2004. In 2011 my doctor suggested I look into WLS as it most likely would prolong my life. At the time I weighed 460 pounds and had trouble doing normal life functions. Everything. So I looked into what was available and decided on a surgeon about 40 miles away and visited the Cayuga Medical Center In Ithaca to go to an introductory program. I signed up that night. Started my rounds of doctor visits, Center for Healthy Living visits for classes and nutritionists and NP visits. Then it was off to the Psychologist. The surgeon had me get my heart checked out with a Cardiologist. That probably was one of the best things about this journey. Long story short they found an abdominal aortic aneurism that was 12.5 cm. I ended up getting a AAA repair at Rochester General 12/23/11. The surgeon there said it was the largest one they had ever seen in a "live" patient. Fast forward a bit over a year and I started my journey over and had a successful VSG. I now eat a plan of very low carbs and concentrate on protein and fluids. Thank you for reading. My goal weight is 240. My surgeon considers me a success now.

Wow! What a fascinating story! Thanks so much for sharing! So glad to hear this surgery helped save your life. You are a success! I agree with your surgeon. :)

I am so glad you are here to take this journey with us. I lost my mother to AAA in 1993. She was 5'2" and weighed 320 pounds. The WLS resources that we have now were not available to her then. You are truly a survivor and can use that gift to encourage others along.

So do I! congrats on your journey so far... :)

Congratulations on your success!!!!!!!!

post-147109-0-23371200-1390933085_thumb.jpg

Edited by joatsaint

12.5 cm - Wow! As you probably know, you are lucky to be alive! Congratulations on your perseverance! You got this going, now, so I know you WILL get to your goal.