Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advise for those with no supportive help after surgery.

I am hoping to compile a list of tips, hints, and suggestions for those of us who will be recovering in the weeks following surgery without any outside help or support. I am not telling anyone about this surgery except for my ex-husband and eldest daughter (13). I know I am not the only one who has or will be doing this alone, so let's work on making a "game plan" for how to provide self-care in the month following surgery.

Here is what I've though of so far...

Pre-op; stock the cabinets with 1st stage, 2nd, stage, 3rd stage foods, Vitamins, and Protein Powder.< /p>

Pre-op; prepare two locations in the home for resting; one in the bedroom and one in the living room.

Keep Water bottles in each resting location, in the car, and in the purse to ensure drinking water is always available.

What else will be helpful??

Edited by Butterflyhigh

i am also gonna be in this alone. the only person who knew at first was my mom, then i told the rest of my immediate family. My game plan is to get rid of everything that is a trigger food and keep only healthy things around... also have a bunch of carrots cuz you cant gain weight because you ate too many carrots

I also want to be jacked up on veggies. Most of the time w je have cravings because the food we eat is not nutritious enough

Lastly i plan to stick to organics/hormone free food from trader joe's as much as I can.

Be cautious about too much stocking up. Your tastes may change. I know many have posted about buying too much Protein powders and other specialized foods. I sampled a lot per-op and had a small supply of those I could tolerate. I also researched places online to buy them so if I couldn't get out to buy them I knew where I could get them. Hopefully your recovery goes really smoothly and there will not be much down time. I came home and was doing most of my normal stuff the next day. Driving kids to school, shopping etc. the one thing I was cautious of the first week was how much I lifted.

I agree with Suzy above - careful about stocking up. I purchased a huge tub of nectar Lemonade before surgery and now I can barely stomach it.

Also, be careful with vegetables - I wasn't approved for veggies until week 4 and it was broccoli or cauliflower puree. At 10 weeks out, I can't eat a lot of vegetables (maybe 1-2 tablespoons per meal), because I don't have room after my Protein.

What about tips/tricks to getting all of your Water in? With being a mom, running a home, and providing self-care I need to make sure that dehydration is not an issue.

How about tools to help sooth the emotional and physical recovery? I've heard that some people use a small pillow to hold when they cough or sneeze?

Any tips to avoid vomiting?

I am hoping to compile a list of tips, hints, and suggestions for those of us who will be recovering in the weeks following surgery without any outside help or support. I am not telling anyone about this surgery except for my ex-husband and eldest daughter (13). I know I am not the only one who has or will be doing this alone, so let's work on making a "game plan" for how to provide self-care in the month following surgery.

Here is what I've though of so far...

Pre-op; stock the cabinets with 1st stage, 2nd, stage, 3rd stage foods, Vitamins, and Protein powder.< /p>

Pre-op; prepare two locations in the home for resting; one in the bedroom and one in the living room.

Keep Water bottles in each resting location, in the car, and in the purse to ensure drinking Water is always available.

What else will be helpful??

Very smart to prepare for everything. I had support, but live alone, so I got everything I needed ready. I put things I needed every day in a place easily reachable so I didn't have to bend or stretch. I kept a pillow with me, it helped getting up. I did laundry is very small batches, I was prohibited from lifting more than 10lbs. for the first 6 weeks. A few things that really helped and not typically thought of.. I had my charges handy and on long extension cords so I didnt' have to reach for them or keep getting up for the phone/ipad, etc. I only stocked up on cases of water ( I wouldn't' be able to lift them for a few weeks) and had my meds and tylenol available. I actually didn't drink a lot of water, it didnt' go down too easy, I also had Vitamin water zero on hand and sugar free ice pops.

I only took the pain meds the first day, tylenol worked fine after that. I made some homemade Soup a head of time and froze it, so I didnt' have to fuss after surgery. The week home recuperating went very quickly and was uneventful. Best of luck!!

What about tips/tricks to getting all of your Water in? With being a mom, running a home, and providing self-care I need to make sure that dehydration is not an issue.

How about tools to help sooth the emotional and physical recovery? I've heard that some people use a small pillow to hold when they cough or sneeze?

Any tips to avoid vomiting?

You really just have to drink all day, keep a bottle in your car for when you are well enough to drive and have one handy all the time. The first week, I drank every 15 minutes out of a 1oz. medicine cup. I was able to track and not take in too much. Do you know what stage you will be on when you get home?

Because I was home alone, I kept my doctors information on a note on my refrigerator with the medication information on it, just in case. Folks that were checking in, knew where my info was.

Edited by JerseyGirl68

+1 on too much stocking up. You may end up throwing a bunch away, not only because your tastes change, but also because you will only be on shakes for a short time after surgery and you will not be able to just chug it down, so you may end up with a ton of powder you can't use.

I am a week out of surgery. What I did was find the powder and/or ready to drink shakes I like and keep a weeks worth. I use Amazon.com and if you have their prime service it is free two-day shipping. I just keep ordering a week or two of stuff until I don't need it anymore.

Keep crystal light or your favorite clear liquid with you at all times, and just remember to drink periodically. Getting enough Water is tough so you have to have it with you to remind yourself.

The pillow is a good idea on the ride home from the hospital but you will be surprised how quickly the pain subsides and you won't need it.

Make sure you are walking every day. That is so important after surgery.

To avoid vomiting - sip your drinks VERY slowly and only small sips. If you feel pressure in your chest you may have drank too quickly so wait a few before continuing, unless you have already drank quite a bit, in which case you are done.

Edited by soflatechie

I suggest keeping a contact list handy also. Important numbers like doctors, hospital, people who can help as last resort if something goes wrong.

I also live alone. God, where is my husband!!? About my VSG, I only told a few of my male friends, no female friends in my city, but some others out of town (women I met at the Duke Diet & Fitness Center). I shared contact info among the ones who know, in case of emergency.

In fact, one male friend took me to the Wednesday surgery (I was done outpatient), and he delievered me to another friend's house--that guy works from home. He had me stay with him for three days and brought me home on Saturday. (I had originally planned to just have the transport guy take and bring me back home, and be there alone. It's good to have good friends...and to be willing to let them care for you.)

I agree with too much stocking up. You will not be housebound after the first 2 days or so. You don't need to clear the shelves of all Protein products. You'll probably take much of it back due to excess, dislike, or moving into another phase.

Try to sip as much as you can (which I found annoying, as I love to guzzle water/milk, but it is getting better). Rest when you feel tired, but don't be in bed or immobilized all day. Ambulate.

I live alone as well. And it's just not that big a deal to bother going overboard prepping. I drove home from the Hospital and went to the store the same day to get in some walking. I really didn't find anything limiting after getting home. Going out gives me something to do. I just carry my Water bottle with me everywhere with Isopure Protein drink in it. And try to remember not to lift anything heavy for awhile. (month)

On the subject of Water...pre-surgery, I drank plain Water all day long. I loved it.

Post-op, I couldn't stomach it (at 10 weeks out, I still can't - it's like drinking liquid sandpaper). I tried the first three days to drink plain water and ended up getting dehydrated - you won't want that.

I started drinking Propel Zero and Vitamin Water Zero and it went down much better. The doc also suggested Powerade Zero, but that didn't taste good. I still drink a lot of Propel Zero - the Vitamin Water is a little too sweet for me, so if I have that, I have to water it down.

Once I got on track with something I could drink, I just sipped, sipped, sipped. Immediately after surgery, I sent the alarm on my phone to remind me to sip - at first it was once every 5 minutes, that worked for me. As I was able to handle more, I sipped more.

In the beginning, it's a full time job to figure out what your schedule is. Water, shakes/protein, sleep, walking, etc. Once you catch your stride, you'll do great.

I still have chicken and beef broth sitting in my cabinet, along with sugar free Jello, pudding, and a huge bag of unflavored Protein powder. Buy only enough for the first three days, since you'll only be drinking and eating popcicles anyway.

Do all the laundry, clean the house, and raise up anything you need to lift on a regular basis, since you don't need to do any heavy lifting. I bought a bed pillow (the kind that prop you up) to prevent me from lying down in bed, it helps with the gas bubbles and acid reflux.

I have an app on my phone called Water your body. it reminds me to drink Water (and keeps a log) of how much water I'm consuming throughout the day.

At four weeks out, it's too the point that I'm already drinking water when the app sends me an alert.

GL!

Good advice regarding on not stocking up too much. I hate the popsicles (they make me nauseous) and I'd be happy not to see anymore broth liquids for a good while, also makes me nauseous.

Yeah, I stocked up on the broth and now I have way too much. Maybe I'll use it one of my crock pot recipes. I too used to drink tons of Water prior to surgery but post op... I couldn't stand it. I can drink the propel and a few of the other flavored waters but not plain water. I ususally put kool aid drops in my water bottles and it makes drinking sooo smooth. Good luck everyone Hope everyone has a successful surgery and don't forget to post your updates!!!