Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 7 years post op - gained half back. Recommiting

Hi All,

I am almost 7 years post op. Originally I did very well. I went down from around 335 to 184 in a little over two years. I had several skin removal surgeries and at 4 years out I was doing great. I was working out regularly and had a good handle on my diet.

A few things happened and I stopped exercising and started eating poorly again. Of course, I started to gain weight. I tried tightening my band to counteract and ended up with heartburn, reflux and night cough. I took my band up and down and finally removed most of the Fluid in November. All heartburn, etc... is gone, but my weight is up - over the last 3 years I've gained 80 lbs back and I'm at 265.

I am ready to recommit to losing weight. I know what it takes - healthy food and exercise. I want to add some fluid back into my band to help but am afraid too. I don't want to experience the negative side effects.

I'm mostly looking for support and am hoping to find it here. If anyone has been through this and was able to relose the weight I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'd just love to hear from those who have lost the weight. Success is the best motivation.

Thank you all,

Lori

So, would you say you gained the weight back because you had most of the Fluid taken pout of the band?

Hi All, I am almost 7 years post op. Originally I did very well. I went down from around 335 to 184 in a little over two years. I had several skin removal surgeries and at 4 years out I was doing great. I was working out regularly and had a good handle on my diet. A few things happened and I stopped exercising and started eating poorly again. Of course, I started to gain weight. I tried tightening my band to counteract and ended up with heartburn, reflux and night cough. I took my band up and down and finally removed most of the Fluid in November. All heartburn, etc... is gone, but my weight is up - over the last 3 years I've gained 80 lbs back and I'm at 265. I am ready to recommit to losing weight. I know what it takes - healthy food and exercise. I want to add some fluid back into my band to help but am afraid too. I don't want to experience the negative side effects. I'm mostly looking for support and am hoping to find it here. If anyone has been through this and was able to relose the weight I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'd just love to hear from those who have lost the weight. Success is the best motivation. Thank you all, Lori

Maybe see your dietitian and start that way. Also see your doctor to make sure your band is correct. Good luck

of course you will have your band adjusted. but do it really slowly so you get used to each fill. take medication for heartburn. prilosec or something your doctor will prescribe. don't eat or drink after 7 at night. you know what to do. just take a deep breath and start in the morning. eat healthy until you see your doctor and nutritionalist. you are starting over so start at the beginning. I wish you lots of luck. also a upper gi is not out of question. so many ppl suffer from what you said you did and their band isn't in the right position.

Welcome, I agree with the others, see your surgeon and nutritionist to get back on track. best wishes, Karen..aka.kll724

Omg I'm going thought the same thing u can be my twin. I just got my band filled again after 2 years and I'm doing fine I'm also loosing not as rapid as before but I happy with the progress

I'm going though the same thing I also got mine filled after 2 years and I seem to be doing fine I also agree if u have the funds to go to a nutritionist then u should I don't so I working closely with my doctor

Best wishes

I did the samething. I actually ended being healthier than when I started lol. But I got back on track , eating habits excellent, and I walk and wall everywhere. I went from 341 to 227 May until present. I'm at a mind set that's permanent change. Hang in there. Don't be afraid to start fills again. I knew I was on the right path, when Igot kicked out of my support group lol. It was for people like our situation that gains back half or more than your original, pre-surgery weight. Than you lose. I didn't qualify anymore because the second time around, I lost More. So was actually a compliment! Hang in there

Hi All, I am almost 7 years post op. Originally I did very well. I went down from around 335 to 184 in a little over two years. I had several skin removal surgeries and at 4 years out I was doing great. I was working out regularly and had a good handle on my diet. A few things happened and I stopped exercising and started eating poorly again. Of course, I started to gain weight. I tried tightening my band to counteract and ended up with heartburn, reflux and night cough. I took my band up and down and finally removed most of the Fluid in November. All heartburn, etc... is gone, but my weight is up - over the last 3 years I've gained 80 lbs back and I'm at 265. I am ready to recommit to losing weight. I know what it takes - healthy food and exercise. I want to add some fluid back into my band to help but am afraid too. I don't want to experience the negative side effects. I'm mostly looking for support and am hoping to find it here. If anyone has been through this and was able to relose the weight I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'd just love to hear from those who have lost the weight. Success is the best motivation. Thank you all, Lori

I am 3 yrs out & having my band replaced on 2/11/14. I was fine but was sick with a stomach virus last summer & vomited twice & that was enough to slip my band. All fluid was removed for a month until it went back into place. Since then I've been up & down with the fills & just can't get back to my sweet spot (green zone). My Surgeon said that after a slip the band is never/most of the time never back into the correct spot. He suggested the sleeve, but I preferred to give a NEW band a try. I've lost 102 lbs with it & know how it works with my body so I'm giving it another go. Best wishes to you & don't give up.

Yes, I'm right there with you. filled and unfilled so many times. too tight, coughing, and acid reflux so bad it came out my nose a couple of times burning waking me up. TERRIBLE". My diabetes have gotten worse and so has my B/P. I've been approved for bypass but I am now down to 215 and afraid of losing too much. I was down to 202 before having all of these issues. I have gained back 13 lbs and now my blood work is out of control. I need to try over also.

I had a 2nd slip last year and the doc did a revision (first time it slipped I had a doc who didn't believe they worked even though I had lost 72 lbs in 7 months -I started at 237- so he simply emptied it without doing any imaging to see how bad it was. I agree that it isn't the same. Doesn't mean it won't work if I go back to basics. I too have gained half of it back. Saw these posts and decided it was time to start logging food and exercise. Keeps me honest because I weigh, measure and put it in writing. Good luck to you. You aren't doing this walk alone.

Yes, I'm right there with you. filled and unfilled so many times. too tight, coughing, and acid reflux so bad it came out my nose a couple of times burning waking me up. TERRIBLE". My diabetes have gotten worse and so has my B/P. I've been approved for bypass but I am now down to 215 and afraid of losing too much. I was down to 202 before having all of these issues. I have gained back 13 lbs and now my blood work is out of control. I need to try over also.

You can do it. Best wishes to you.

Hi All,

I am almost 7 years post op. Originally I did very well. I went down from around 335 to 184 in a little over two years. I had several skin removal surgeries and at 4 years out I was doing great. I was working out regularly and had a good handle on my diet.

A few things happened and I stopped exercising and started eating poorly again. Of course, I started to gain weight. I tried tightening my band to counteract and ended up with heartburn, reflux and night cough. I took my band up and down and finally removed most of the Fluid in November. All heartburn, etc... is gone, but my weight is up - over the last 3 years I've gained 80 lbs back and I'm at 265.

I am ready to recommit to losing weight. I know what it takes - healthy food and exercise. I want to add some Fluid back into my band to help but am afraid too. I don't want to experience the negative side effects.

I'm mostly looking for support and am hoping to find it here. If anyone has been through this and was able to relose the weight I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'd just love to hear from those who have lost the weight. Success is the best motivation.

Thank you all,

Lori

Good luck!

Thank you all for the feedback and support!

Even before I took the Fluid out I was gaining weight as I was eating around my band - too many sweets and slider foods and I wasn't exercising. Loosening the band just made it worse.

I will make an appointment with my dr. and talk with him. It's expensive for me to get my band filled as I've moved and am with a doctor who did not do my surgery --- but better slow and a little expensive than going up an down. I'll also see if he thinks there could be a placement issue.

I have a good friend who is a dietician who would probably help me out - that's a great suggestion!

Again - I really appreciate the support!

~Lori