Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit my 9 month mark--almost to goal weight before/after photos

Hello All:

It's been a few months since I've been on this forums, but all those who had gone through the VSG before me and gave me such wonderful advise and encouragement--I wanted to say THANK YOU!

I am at my 9 month mark post surg, and I have maneuvered through the maze of adopting a whole new relationship with "eating" and healthy lifestyle and I wanted to put myself out there for anyone who would like some encouragement or anyone who has questions about the procedure (positive and negative). According to my surgeon I am in the <10% who have experienced some unwanted effects of the procedure--BUT given even the (at times) struggle with those negative effects--I would do this all over again to LIVE this wonderful life I have now.

I have lost 76lbs, started at 222 and I am now 146.

From BMI of 39.4 to new BMI 25.2

From size 16 to size 6.

I no longer use a CPAP because I no longer have sleep apnea.

My back pain is (mostly) gone.

I can walk up flights of stairs w/o feeling like I was going to pass out!

If anybody out there has had the sleeve or is considering the sleeve--please use me as support!

I am still losing weight (I would like to lose 12 lbs more) and I am toning my body up.

I've attached a picture from my birthday in 2013 right before my surgery and a picture from Thanksgiving of this year (about 6.5 months post sleeve). I will try to get some more recent pictures taken.

post-173368-0-15622000-1390680076_thumb.jpg. Before

post-173368-0-49238100-1390680118_thumb.jpg. In progress

Gorgeous!!!

You look absolutely fabulous! Congratulations! :D

May I ask as an aside though, what 'unwanted effects' did you have post surgery?

beautiful either weight but now you are also happy and healthy! way to go!!

This is WONDERFUL news! You sound so happy, and you deserve to be. I hope I do as well as you are post-surgery. :)

Wow you look amazing!! Congrats to you!

Congrats!! I love reading success stories..and I especially loved yours! I am starting at approximately your start weight and we look around the same age and same body type. It really gives me hope and encouragement when I am wondering if wls is the right path for me

Great Job...You were beautiful before and after...but the after photo exudes confidence as well as beauty!

<p>You look absolutely fabulous! Congratulations! :D</p> <p> </p> <p>May I ask as an aside though, what 'unwanted effects' did you have post surgery?</p>

Thank you for the compliment!

So, to answer your question, I had some adverse reaction to the contrast dye used (that I had to drink) the day 1 post surg that the docs use to check the new "sleeve" for leaks. Almost immediacy after the radiology procedure was complete, I started throwing up violently. This painful vomiting did not stop until the surgeon put me back NPO, and started a whole IV cocktail mixture of anti-emetics. I continued to be very nauseated with unstable heart rate for next 7 days on full IV and NPO--still with occasional vomiting--ouch--empty, sore new tummy.

On the 7th day post surg I could keep some clear liq down., but still very, very nauseated. They finally discharged me from hospital on day 8.

My bariactric docs kept me on Clear liquids for next 3 weeks, then slowly could progress to full liq. for another 3 weeks. And so on...very slowly being able to add food. I had a very difficult time keeping anything down.

9 months later, I am still very cautious of texture of what I eat, and I am nauseous after even a drink of Water. My docs are keeping me on Zofran every 8 hours still. Also, hmmm....my bowels don't work at all unless I drink Miralax daily.--if I skip a day of Miralax--I will go for about 3 days w/o "going" and which point I feel even more nauseous. :( :(

<p>Congrats!! I love reading success stories..and I especially loved yours! I am starting at approximately your start weight and we look around the same age and same body type. It really gives me hope and encouragement when I am wondering if wls is the right path for me</p> <p> </p> <p>Great Job...You were beautiful before and after...but the after photo exudes confidence as well as beauty!</p>

I did have some major regrets in the horrible days immediately post surgery, but I can honestly say that at age 46, (post surg) I felt like I had already lived/experienced the best part of life-and it was going to be just downhill from there !! ;(

Now, I feel and believe there is so much more :)

ahead! I have been blessed by NEW Life!!

Don't let anyone tell you that VSG is taking the easy way !

Do your research and get support from those around you!! You WILL make the right decision!!

I did have some major regrets in the horrible days immediately post surgery, but I can honestly say that at age 46, (post surg) I felt like I had already lived/experienced the best part of life-and it was going to be just downhill from there !! ;(

Now, I feel and believe there is so much more :)

ahead! I have been blessed by NEW Life!!

Don't let anyone tell you that VSG is taking the easy way !

Do your research and get support from those around you!! You WILL make the right decision!!

I weighed 266 before surgery on 7/29/13. Day of surgery 242, 6 mos 195.6. This is the best thing I've ever done for my self, I wished I had done it 30 yrs ago. You have to remember this is a tool not a quick fix. We have to be contenitinous about what we put in our mouths. Take our Vitamins, drink our Water,and eat our Protein,and exercise good luck

You look fabulous. Of course you were beautiful even when you were heavy but now you look fit and fabulous.

You are rockin that sleeve!

Nice!

Hi Suko67,

You made a huge transition! You look awesome. Beautiful, both before & after surgery. ;) Thanks for your testimony. I need a little support. I can't drink liquids without experiencing pain in my sleeve. I'm still freshly out of surgery, at just 4 days post-op, but worried. I passed the bariatric swallow test and also suffered some nausea. Water even hurts! Feeling sad... but still no buyer's remorse on the surgery. Please keep me in your prayers for easier digestion/no pain.