Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IMPORTANT! Can I swollow pain meds whole?

I had my band placed yesterday and the nurses were giving me my pain meds whole. I was told not to crush the percocet. Is this okay? Should I continue this way? It has been ok so far. Also..: every once in awhile I feel a slight gagging (not related to taking the meds) like I am going to burp but it won't come out and my stomach contracts a little but once I sip something I am okay. Anyone know what it could be?

I had my band placed yesterday and the nurses were giving me my pain meds whole. I was told not to crush the percocet. Is this okay? Should I continue this way? It has been ok so far. Also..: every once in awhile I feel a slight gagging (not related to taking the meds) like I am going to burp but it won't come out and my stomach contracts a little but once I sip something I am okay. Anyone know what it could be?

that is a question for your dr to answer..i know that after surgery one is very swollen.....if they say take whole, i would do as they advise you ...if it is hard to swallow, call and tell them and see if they can prescribe some liquid pain meds.. congrats on your surgery BTW

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

I ask yo give me liquid form as I was not comfortable taking the pills because I was also told that I need to crush my med.

Everyone is definitely different on this one.....I take my daily vitamins/supplements whole.....others cannot....

But post surgery...I would go liquid....due to the probable post op inflammation....

What did your Dr. Advise? That is more important than what strangers may tell you.....

If you're going the pain medication route you might also want to talk to them about something for constipation......best wishes to you! Hope you can get some good walking in, back and forth back and forth, round and round. That will help tremendously. Also if you have a sore port area incision an ice pack light take that pain down fast. Many people find relief from left shoulder pain by using a heating pad. Get your Water in and move around -- you will feel better each day. I found liquid Tylenol helpful in that first day or two and it was easy to find that in liquid form. Best wishes!

Percocet is a fairly large pill...unfortunately I know..I've had to take it alot before the hip replacement. I'd ask about changing to a liquid for now.

Hmmmm....if it ain't broke....

I am not a doctor but I do not suggest crushing any medicine or cutting it in half without your doctors or pharmacists permission. Some can be done with no ill effects. Some medicines are meant to be a slower timed release and if you crush it, the longer effectivity of it could be reduced. Some are meant to pass through your stomach and break down in the intestine (at least that's what I was understanding from the pharmacist) and if you crush it, it would be more absorbed in the stomach vs intestine. Again I'm not a doctor or pharmacist. Make sure to check which meds you can/should crush up before you do so. So far I've been able to take all my meds whole. Some were a bit larger but I haven't had a horse pill yet.

Congratulations on this new journey!

I asked the nurse when they called to check in on me and they said I may crush the meds because this pill was huge and it felt like it was stabbing me in the stomach when I took it. I'm in so much pain. This whole gas thing is a doozy! I hope this pain stops soon! I'm using gas x strips but not helping much and moving around is still very rough.

If you want the gas to go, get some fruit punch and apple juice mix together and put in the microwave and heat it then drop a tea bag in it and let it sit for a minute it will help very much with the gas.

I was allowed to restart my Metformin two days after surgery. It is a very large pill that can't be crushed. I take it with a drink of Water and make sure I wait a bit before swallowing anything else. So far, no problems.

Congratulations for your surgery. It is better if you consult you doctor in this case. Do not ask other what you should do. People can only share their own experience. It is recommended having liquid intakes if you cannot swallow your pain meds whole.

after surgery and every fill i have to chew or crush all my medications just for a few days and i know that if one of them gets stuck pills quickly liquidfy and will proceed down the digestive tract. the only pills you cannot chew or crush is time release pills. otherwise ppl with the band just have to chew them. now most of the time i can just take my pills whole without a problem i am just talking about when i am likely a bit swollen after a fill.

If it has a line across it, it is considered "scored" and you are permitted to break it in that line. If it has a coating, it is meant to dissolve slower and usually past the stomach. liquids are best in the 1st phase due to swelling. I was lucky and was able to not take any of it. Good warning though if you take narcotics, mind your bowels...don't add Constipation to your problem list.