Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I was banded on Jan. 14, and I was able to start mushies yesterday (Jan. 19). I think I have been on liquids for so long that I am taking the pureed food diet to an extreme, and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything bad. I've read so many threads, and some people talk about having things under soft foods that I thought I could have this week (like scrambled eggs or noodles). I am basically thinking anything I can put in the blender and puree is fair game at this point. I just pureed a small bowl of macaroni and cheese for dinner, and ohmygod, it was so freaking good!!! I really have been trying to stick with healthy foods, but tonight, I just wanted something with a little more substance.

Other things I bought to puree are vegetable beef Soup, canned chicken with cream o'chick Soup and mushrooms, turkey chili (with added steamed veggies), refried Beans and salsa, tuna salad, egg salad, pudding, peaches, bananas, cream of wheat/oatmeal.

Are these things all okay? Or are pureed foods supposed to be things like yogurt, applesauce, and soup? What is everyone else doing for their mushies?

My go to for mushy was the lasagna bowl. Not sure if this is the correct recipe, but it will work (and it's yummy too).

1/4 cup cottage cheese

1/4 cup spaghetti sauce

1/4 mozzarella cheese

Microwave first 2 ingredients for about 30 secs. Then top with cheese and microwave 30 secs. I also mashed up egg salad when eating mushies. You really have to get creative. Enjoy!

I used ricotta for the lasagna bowl .. but I think that is a personal preference .. also refriend Beans with melted cheese was another one

At this point you want to try to stay away from carbs of Pasta, rice or bread. This will help get rid of any carb cravings. Make sure whatever you eat is Protein based first. Then add veggies. It takes a while but you will get used to it. Do not use fat free mayo because one it is sickening and your body does need some good fats to function. I use helmans made with olive oil. I would stay away from the mac and cheese and also canned Soups are loaded with sodium which will make you retain Water. Make your own Soup so you can control the amount of sodium that is in it. Beans are okay but they are also a lot of carbs. At this point in your journey your main focus should be on getting the Protein in. It will make your fat melt quickly. Make a chopped steak and eat it. Red meat is the winner for fast weight loss and eat it now while you are not so tight. Seriously though right now you are learning and starchy carbs should be last on your list. Hope this helps.

do one thing for yourself. put a piece of paper on your kitchen counter and everything that goes in your mouth list the Protein content and calorie content. Protein content s/b 60 -80 grams a day. calorie content s/b 1000-1200 calories a day. if you are getting enough protein without going over the calorie count than you can call the day a success. but to often what we allow in our mouths is way to much calories. the first time i did this i had managed to keep my protein okay but i had eaten 1390 calories. just with mushies. you are still on a diet. your band isn't helping much. practice being on a diet and eat diet food. sorry i know it isn't what you want to hear but it is the best advise i can give you. mac n cheese not a good selection, noodles give you no protein, so also not a good food choice right now. cream of chicken regular can read the calories vs. protein. not a good choice. but homemade chicken Soup that u used yogurt or skim fat milk and pulverized the vegetables and chicken together good protein little calories. there are still rules to follow even though you have a band. i have to remind myself that all the time.

I get wanting to eat something new.... Not only do you have to make sure you hit your Protein amount you have to watch your carb intake as well as low calorie foods... Sorry... Looking at the STEAMED VEGGIES.... I did baby food for a while cuz it was too hard figuring out all the above content.... So on fill days I do liquid for the day then mushy (baby foods) the next and back to my regular food.... Plus 40 min exercise... Oh yeah and Atkins meals just gotta watch sodium on those so not all the time

For excellent creamy Soups, low cal and made with broth try the recipes from skinnytaste.com. I was also banded on the 14th but my Doc wants full liquids for 3 weeks. I find the warm soups help satisfy me, and it been fun trying the recipes.< /p>

You all have helped so much! The last couple of days, the refried Beans have become my friend. I know they have a lot of carbs, but at least it is a step in the right direction. Topped with my favorite salsa, it satisfies my Mexican food craving. I have a full week left for purees before I can move onto soft soft foods. I am looking forward to having an omelet and some fish!

This has been a great group for me so far. It helps so much knowing I have people to go to!

Tonight I start the mushy food section of this diet. I plan on taking 1 meatball, a dollop of spaghetti sauce and puree it. Heat it back up and sprinkle a small amount of parm cheese on top. Hope this goes down ok. :blink: