Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Ithink thats sounds like acs are trying to come up with a plan,well done princess for that information.Dublin would be a much better option than Belfast for me anyway.At least we are not on our own its great to be able to let off steam here. We must keep a cool head. like princess said there is no point in going in with guns blazing. Keep posting and rreading

Hi all,

My sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer 2 weeks ago in Cavan Hospital however, she was referred to the Mater and the news wasn't good. The cancer has spread to bowels and bladder as shown in CT scan and they are preforming an MRI on 10th March to see how much further the cancer has spread and starting her immediately on radiation every day for 6 weeks and chemo once a week for 6 weeks. She is only 37. I implore all of you to have regular smears as HAD she had them (she has never had one) she may not be in this mess now. Re meeting up girls I am 40 on 8th March and have previous plans. Girls night on the beer on the Sunday night in Drogheda if anyone fancies a night on the razz! I will post as soon as I have news from ACS. Promise.

Hi Paulina,

Really sorry to hear the news about your sister. I do hope everything goes well for her. You're right about the importance of smears.

Hi Coco

that's grand, sorry I didn't mean about taking 'legal' action I meant about going to the media etc about it as was talked about in the couple of posts before mine. I am free to meet up this Saturday or next and am away after that. Let me know what's arranged.

Thanks

x

hi all i think we should all meet and try to get some answers to our queries. i have been on to consumer rights and they suggested us getting legal advice. i think we are just poking in the air as we have no idea what our rights as consumers of THE LAPBAND , for the moment we should deal with getting facts on our rights . i know there are some ladies that dont want people to know they are banded and we will overcome that somehow, but we have to be informed of our rights as consumers and i suggest that two or three people represent us going to free legal advice. i think we have to be united on this matter and not hide behind each other or push one or two people forward and let them take the fallout. we do this together. or just let each other look after themselves. looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts on this matter.wella123

Hi Wella123,

Right with you on a meet up,:biggrin: as good as it is to post our views on this site, it would be much better to get all our concerns out on the table with as many of us as can manage/want to be there. Getting legal advice is a good point, its good to know how we stand legally. Although, approaching ACS as a group (in a letter, I'm not suggesting an ambush:laugh:) to clarify our situation both for now and the future, I feel is the way forward. The very fact that so many of us want to keep our lap band secret from all and sundry, makes us reluctant to do any more than place a few phone calls ( to little or no avail by all accounts), what I'm proposing can be done in a discreet manner and anyone who really doesn't want to put their name on a letter can still be a part of the process, (if they want to). We'll work it out. This is the time to stand together, I'm in agreement with Wella there. So if anyone is interested this Saturday 1st March in Bewelys Sandyford?:smile2:

Hello everyone, sorry to hear about your sister Paulina. I totally agree with wella123 and Coco we need to find out where we stand legally and then approach ACS as a group as Coco said they're telling us all a different story.

As I said in a preious post and Coco has said while fills are important I'd be more worried about emergency care, I know 1st hand what its like to need an emergency defill and it isn't pleasant:crying: I was overfilled a few months ago and I will never forget it as long as I live, you cannot swallow your own saliva without throwing up and the headaches from dehydration are unbelievable. I met another bander who I've become very close to in Owenstown and she didn't recognise me until I spoke I was that sick.

My main problem with ACS is that they're brushing us all off telling us different things instead of just being honest, if they've a problem getting a surgeon they should just tell us at least we'd know where we stand.

Hi Coco we were posting at the same time so I missed yours, unfortunately I doubt I'll make this Saturday, I'm out on the raz with the girls Friday night so will more than likely be nursing a sore head:blink: but I totally agree with yourself and wella123 that we need to stand together as a group. I love this thread its great to get all our frustrations out here it feels alot better afterwards:rolleyes2: Hopefully ACS are in the process of sorting it all out

Hi Coco we were posting at the same time so I missed yours, unfortunately I doubt I'll make this Saturday, I'm out on the raz with the girls Friday night so will more than likely be nursing a sore head:blink: but I totally agree with yourself and wella123 that we need to stand together as a group. I love this thread its great to get all our frustrations out here it feels alot better afterwards:rolleyes2: Hopefully ACS are in the process of sorting it all out

Hi Lil,

No problem, as I said before this is not a compulsory meeting, its being proposed by me as a possible solution to the concerns expressed on this thread. In my opinion, we can't pussy foot around for too long that's why the meeting is being held this week as it seems to suit a lot of people who are concerned enough to at least talk it through with like minded people. There will be no more than an agreed letter, outlining all our concerns, and signed by those willing to put their name to it. Once again, I am not proposing taking legal action against ACS, I have agreed with others that finding out where we stand legally, as regards our rights, and what legal commitments are owed to us by ACS may be beneficial to us.

I'm glad to see you are getting some comfort from this thread Lil, as they say, it's good to talk. Enjoy you're night out on Friday.

Hi all,

Just called ACS, spoke to a girl on the phone about getting a fill. she thinks she might have some this saturday! she's going to ring me back in ten minutes just to make sure thats right! hope she rings back been told that so many times by ACS and they haven't.

Louise

Hi all,

Just called ACS, spoke to a girl on the phone about getting a fill. she thinks she might have some this saturday! she's going to ring me back in ten minutes just to make sure thats right! hope she rings back been told that so many times by ACS and they haven't.

Louise

Hi Skinny,

We wait with bated breath.:biggrin: That would be fantastic, but I guess as its 6.00pm now and we haven't heard any more....................

I rang today and got an appointment for 7th March in Belfast with Jerome Manaceau

She told me they were trying to organise to transport a group from Dublin to Belfast for appointments that day.As I live in the muidlands it would make no sense to travel that way - Just wanted to let you all know

Hi Coco and all, not sure what to think. I was told to ring back at the end of the week about getting a fill so intend to do so tomorrow. I thought that the meeting wasn't going to take place this weekend due to Mothers Day on Sunday so made arrangements for Saturday (sorry). I do want to be involved, I haven't had any major problems to date but as aware that that is down to luck as opposed to the standard of aftercare. I'll let ye know what response I get when I ring tomorrow.

Hi, Sorry haven't got back sooner. No fills happening on sat the girl i spoke to on the phone had the wrong information. i was told to call back next week. so disapointing. Having black forrest gateau now to make me feel better! I know i shouldn't

Hi all,

I rang acs on saturday and was told to ring back on Monday. I did, spoke with Lynn was told there would be no appointments for the next 3 weeks. I was losing it and she said she would phone me towards the end of the week with possible news of an appointment. I am livid and from what I can see the rest of you are having the same problem. I joined curves am eating less than I would if at WW and still the bloody scales isn't moving. Restriction! WHAT'S THAT? I seriously believe there is very little saline if any in my band. God knows where its gone but its not working. I don't like the feel or the look of my port it certainly isn't like Nikki's its horrible. I am so annoyed that I have had this procedure done. I am seriously worried now after reading your posts. I have appointment with my own doctor Thursday week for a complete MOT, smear test etc. My sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer 2 weeks ago in Cavan Hospital however, she was referred to the Mater and the news wasn't good. The cancer has spread to bowels and bladder as shown in CT scan and they are preforming an MRI on 10th March to see how much further the cancer has spread and starting her immediately on radiation every day for 6 weeks and chemo once a week for 6 weeks. She is only 37. I implore all of you to have regular smears as HAD she had them (she has never had one) she may not be in this mess now. Re meeting up girls I am 40 on 8th March and have previous plans. Girls night on the beer on the Sunday night in Drogheda if anyone fancies a night on the razz! I will post as soon as I have news from ACS. Promise.

hi Paulina we haven't spoke before as I'm learning how to get around this site. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and i know how awful it is when something like this happens to a sibling as i have personal experience. its a terrible time waiting for the results and the radiation can make her very sick.It sounds like the doctors are treating it aggressively which is good. MY thoughts are with you , wella 123

Hi all! Well I am now a bandster!!!

It all went really well.

Flew to Brussels Monday morning, checked into the hotel and did a bit of sightseeing. Went to meet Dr, deBruyne at 7pm in his office which is close to the hotel (about €10 in a taxi). There were a lot of his Belgian patients there having fills. He is a very lovely man. Very straightforward. Explained everything and gave me ample opportunity to back out if I wanted to! So I paid the €3400 and he went to see if his wife would drop us back to the hotel (his surgery is attached to his house) but she was gone so he called us a cab.

Went into the hospital at 7am and got checked in. Was brought to a private room and given an EKG, blood tests and prepped for surgery. Was brought down at 9.15am (think I was first in) and DrDeBruyne came in to talk to me and see was I ok. Then I was knocked out!

Woke up in recovery and was in a fair bit of pain. Worst part was about 5 mins after waking up (not sure if I was panicking) but I couldn't breath. They noticed straight away and came over and sat the bed up a bit which helped straight away. Iwas unfortunate as I had a very bad sore thoat due to the tube from surgery. I know it was only a sore throat but the pain!!! Plus i wasn't allowed Water for 24 hours which is hard when your throat is sore and dry.

So at about 12pm I was brought up to a different room with 3 beds, both others were empty. I pretty much slept all day! Was given plenty of pain relief. The main difference between there and Ireland was they leave you alone (which is good as I wanted to sleep) but if you need anything you just buzz them. They won't really check on you (apart from the routine checks every 4 hours or so) so don't be afraid to buzz!

Dr, Chris called in on the Tuesday night to see how I was feeling.

Then yesterday morning I was allowed some water, dressings were canged and drain and drip were removed. They washed my feet in the bed and brought me to the bathroom to wash my upper half and helped me dress into PJs. Then I slept for another while. Around 12 they brought in some Soup which I had a bit of and then Dr Chris came in to say I could go. Gave me literature and diet sheet etc plus a pack with painkillers and anti nausea tabs and 5 injections for anti clotting (which I was dreading giving myself but they don't hurt at all). Then he called us a cab and we came back to the hotel.

I pretty much slept all day yesterday too but feel 80% better today. Still have some pain but not much. Last night Dr, Chris' colleague (also a surgeon) called to the hotel to check on me and is probably calling today. Before we left the hospital Dr Chris gave us his phone numbers, as did his colleague in case we have any problems.

Hospital is immaculate, a million times cleaner than any Irish hospital and all the nurses I encountered speak English. Hotel is basic but spotless also.

I am very bloated from the surgery but have very little gas pain thank God. As Dr Chris said "the first day or two you will think 'what have I done this for?' but after a few days, weeks and months you will think 'why didn't I do this sooner?' "

And I am so glad I did!!

If anyone has any questions give me a shout! Especially you Elsie! I can hopefully answer any questions you might have before your big day! One piece of advice for you elsie is the morning of surgery go to the hospital at about 6.45am (straight through the main door and about just past the stairs and lifts there is a small waiting room to your right). They don't open til 7 but we got their early and I was the first admitted and the first down to surgery. It saved me waiting around all morning. By 7am there is a lengthy enough queue!

Hi All,

Ailbhe, congratulations, welcome to the banded side:biggrin::biggrin: I so glad you had such a positive experience. This will help others facing that road and will be a comfort to them. You are sounding so great and so well I wish you every success with the band.:blushing::welldone::wub::welldone::unsure::welldone::smile2::welldone::ohmy::welldone::huh2:

Gerri,

Don't worry, if you've made other plans. Its always difficult to suit everyone on the same day. Besides, it appears from other posts that ACS are sorting out the fill situation and organising transport from Dublin to Belfast so although not ideal its a start and I for one am glad that nobody is being left in the lurch as regards the fills.

Loriha,

Thanks for sharing that news with us. It may not suit you but at least something is in place as regards the fills.

SkinnyIrishBabe,

You should phone ACS again and see if they have room for one more on the 'fill bus to Belfast'. If you want to have a chat and meet up with some of the others the meeting is going ahead in Bewley's in Sandyford at 11.30ish on Saturday 1st March.