Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scared two days before the sleeve!

Hi there.... Been reading a lot here and I am very excited ( not today though) I am 5'11 and 311 lbs ... My surgery is on Monday the 20th but today and as I am getting closer I am freaking out! I know many people felt this but all I am seeing now is bad complications ! no turn point after! I do not know? So excited and so worried! Not sure what to expect after? How did you ( who felt the same) over felt this? Thanks

Edited by Shadi-Dadi

I just wrote this on another thread...I had severe 2nd thoughts the morning of surgery, in admitting. I was terrified. Once I started thinking about the reasons why I was doing this, those doubts went away.

It's scary, I know.

I had my surgery done on an outpatient basis - I was in admitting at 6:00 am and back at the condo at noon the same day. I can't explain what happens in the hospital after...other than, I started walking immediately upon leaving the recovery room. I think the walking helped my recovery. I walked every hour - at first in the condo, back and forth, back and forth. Then graduated to the parking lot. Walking will help with the gas - they pump air into your abdomen to make room - GasX didn't help and neither did the pain meds for that pain.

And you sip, sip and sip some more...sipping Water. It's important to get your Water in or you'll get dehydrated. That happened to me on Day 3 and it sucked. I switched from plain water to Vitamin Water Zero which was much easier to get down. Plain water was like sandpaper to me.

I didn't experience much pain - I only took 4 pain pills after surgery and that was so I could get better sleep, not so much the pain.

As far as the being scared point - once I decided to go thru with it, I had no more fear. And after the first day of recovery, I've had no buyer's remorse. This was the best thing I could have done for myself.

Best of luck to you on MOnday - you got this!

Don't be scared, you will be fine. It feels like nothing much has happened once you wake up from the anesthesia. Maybe like you did too many ab crunches or something. The worst part for me was not being allowed to drink anything until after my leak test the next day. In the meantime, I asked for the sponge on a stick things they have to moisten your mouth and that was fine.

Heck, I am almost 60 and was cruising down the halls as if nothing had happened!

Any surgery can be intimidating...Sadi-Dadi...but think of it this way... what kind of life do you have right now? If you are like I was...not much of one...I could barely do ANYTHING without getting out of breath or feeling like my knees would give out... now I feel like a functioning human being...and that is HUGE for me!!!

I had no complications...a little dumping, but nothing that could make me not do it again!

Best thing I did for myself EVER! Wish I had done it sooner!!!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

You will reach a point of no return. For me, it was at the end of October when I was hospitalized for 8 days with ischemic colitis, which had my Primary Physician concerned that he was going to lose me. I knew then and there that I have so many complications from my weight that there was no doubt and no turning back.

Either the sleeve is going to work or it's not, and I had to take that risk. Got my sleeve on 12/23/2013, and am down 27 pounds pre-op and 16 post op in 3 1/2 weeks. Recovery has not been bad. I did not have the shoulder gas and nausea at all. Wishing you good luck and good health.

I never had any gas pain either. I don't know why. When I had a colonoscopy they could have used me as a Macy's Thanksgiving Parade balloon.

Shadi..dado.. Keep yourself busy this weekend. Go to the movies. Visit friends ..read a good book. Etc to keep your mind off of your surgery. I , too, was scared. Thinking the worse.. That is normal.. However, if u keep busy the fear will not escalate ..my surgery went fine with no complications.. If unfollow the pre and post surgery protocol..I am sure u will do fine. Let us know how u r doing and if u have to chat again before your surgery.. Send us a message and we can help u again. We r here for u pre and post op

Thanks all for your words... You did calm me down ... Hope to stay calm for the weekend...

I was very scared before my surgery, I know where your coming from. Just keep reminding yourself why you are doin this for you for me it,was my health my diabetes was out of control, my liver enzymes were over 1000, and the surgeon told me I would be dead in 7 yrs. So this helped me get thru it. I know you will do fine I was in hospital from monday - wed. After you wake up drink ,drink and drink. Walk,walk the hallways to work of the gas or it's liable to feel like your having a heartattack.

I mentally wrote a list of pros and cons....pros far outweighed the cons, I didn't even have to write it on paper. That, this website, my therapist and almost everyone i confided in knew someone who had the surgery with great results inspired me. Also the fact that it was done laparoscopically made it seem doable, so I did-last Monday. You can do it!

I there.... Been reading a lot here and I am very excited ( not today though) I am 5'11 and 311 lbs ... My surgery is on Monday the 20th but today and as I am getting closer I am freaking out! I know many people felt this but all I am seeing now is bad complications ! no turn point after! I do not know? So excited and so worried! Not sure what to expect after? How did you ( who felt the same) over felt this? Thanks

It is hard to see people have complications (I didn't see many preop because I purposely steered clear of those threads), but for any benefit there is a risk- and I was willing to take that risk. You've done your research, prepared for what's to come postop, and are cotent with your decision. I spent my last couple of days preop looking in the before and after threads here, looking at how fast things change after surgery and was so pumped for my surgery I was cool as a cucumber! Now 3 months later so much has changed for ME so fast. You will be in the same boat very soon! Good luck to you and well wishes for a smooth recovery :)

Edited by back2barb78

I also had a big panic attack the week before surgery. It helped me to write a list of the things I wanted to change with surgery...health being #1. I also wrote down goals, like taking kayak lessons when I hit 100#s lost. I think most of us have those thoughts. This is absolutely the BEST thing I have ever done for myself and I feel so good now. I will be thinking good thoughts for you on Monday and let us know how you are....remember....walk, walk, walk it will make all the difference in your recovery.

I think anyone who doesn't have some trepidation before this surgery may not fully understand what they are embarking on. Fear and nervousness is normal. Keep your eye on the prize - a healthy body - and you will get through the first few bumps in the road without a problem.

I learned that physical and emotional discomfort are temporary - bad feeling pass, and you move on to new highs and lows. I am thrilled to be 90 pounds less than I was last year at this time! I have had other health issues to deal with not related to the sleeve, but I am looking forward to the day when I can do the things that my weight restricted me from doing. Change doesn't come easy, but it is so worth while in the long run!

It's normal to have some anxiety, even fear before any surgery. If you fear you'll be fighting with your brain post op, you really won't, because you won't be really hungry.

I, too, was done totally outpatient. 6:30 arrival, 7:30 surg start, left the facility by noon. I must've felt some pain when the nurses got me up to walk, but I only remember saying, "I'm right here, you don't have to yell." Lol. I was later told that I really didn't want to move and I kept saying, "Just give me five more minutes, just five more minutes!"...as if that would have really made any difference.

I don't remember any of that thanks to the wonderful drug Versed, which causes short term amnesia.

Think of why you're doing this and go forth. I'm a woman and in six weeks I'm down 30 pounds as of yest.

Shadi-Dadi...

I am right there with you! My surgery date is Tuesday and I did start the "what ifs" but then I pushed them away with the what if I DIDN'T get the surgery, where would I end up? So, I am focused on the after. I anticipate some discomfort and know that the first few days (even weeks) may be rough, but "This too shall pass" has been my mantra these days. I am looking forward to all of the health benefits to come. It may be a bit rocky at first, but I expect smooth sailing down the road. I am ready to do this!

Best wishes to you on a successful journey!