Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why dont u just stay on the pre op diet?

What do you all say to people when they say "you have lost weight on the pre op diet...why do something so drastic like getting your stomach cut out (sleeve)..why cant you just diet instead..you have just shown you can do it with this pre op diet?"

I think it depends on your personal history. Many people here can lose weight. It's keeping it off long term. Many here are yoyo dieters and needed an extra tool to make it stick for life.

I agree with NMJG. I have been yo-yo dieting since 1978 and have lost the same 30 pounds probably twice a year. I gave up...I am 62 already and could barely walk because my spine did not want to carry the weight anymore. Sleeved 12/23/2013 and glad of it.

Haha! I had my neighbor say that. I said "you drink a shake for Breakfast and have a small piece of meat and some spinach for lunch n dinner for the rest of your life and see how long it works for you". She shut her mouth after that.

I got this to. I mean, it's logical from the outside. It's working, right?

The thing they don't understand, although they may be well meaning, is that it simply isn't going to have any longevity unless you are going in for surgery and absolutely know you have to stick to this diet to have a safe surgery.

I truly believe more and more that obese people (myself included) simply have a more ravenous appetite than people who don't struggle to maintain a healthy weight. I'm not saying other factors, like psychological factors, can't play a role, too.

I am just simply amazed at how much *easier* a healthy lifestyle and weight loss (post-surgery) is than it's ever been before. I still think about what I put in my mouth.. each bite. I enjoy eating, and I'm even enjoying eating the healthy foods now. Seeing the numbers decline on the scale is so motivating.

And having that ravenous, out of control hunger and appetite is simply gone. I believe this was my number one defeater of all my best efforts in the past. I'm not very far out, but if this lasts and I continue on this path, I swear I'm going to preach the word of the sleeve like it's my new damn Bible. Amen.

Somebody asked me that same question today. I told her I have a shake for Breakfast and one for lunch and then a 300 - 400 calorie frozen dinner for supper with all the Water I can drink all day. I can't sustain this diet indefinitely and even though I am losing weight.... I can't keep it off. I've been up and down with my weight for the last 35 years....I'm worn out and I need something more permanent as my body can no longer handle all of the weight variations. Besides who wants to exist on Protein shakes the rest of their lives? People are so judgmental and that is why I have chosen to limit who I have told about this surgery. My husband and daughter will support me, no questions asked.

Y'all are so much nicer than I am. Lol

its genetics i feel. yoyoing is. back and forth. never again. Thank you Sleeve founder.

My "friend" says "If it was me I'd just stop eating"... really? What a Bleotch!

Did you kill her?

I had no problem losing 20 pounds, it was keeping it off and not being able to lose more then around 20. I also had health issues from the weight. Not possible to lose 90 pounds in three months a regular diet. This 'tool', the sleeve I got three months ago has been a total life changer. Nearly 90 pounds gone since surgery date, and 20 from pre op diet :-)

What do you all say to people when they say "you have lost weight on the pre op diet...why do something so drastic like getting your stomach cut out (sleeve)..why cant you just diet instead..you have just shown you can do it with this pre op diet?"

People who know me know better than to say sh...t like that. My standard answer would be GFY. I've had nothing but support and anyone who doesn't agree with my decision or wants to say negative things is at least smart enough to do it behind my back. Being a biotch has it's perks!

Actually my sister tried this tact with me when I first told her about my surgery but I explained about my yo yo dieting and what I normally eat compared to what I will eat post op. She was truly surprised and realized what I was dealing with. Turns out she's always eaten like I will postop. "I get full on just an appetizer and have to take my entree home". She had no concept of my struggles. She ended up accompanying me to TJ for surgery and has been extremely supportive with my post op process. (So I'm a biotch with a very cool, skinny older sister)

I actually told her to STFU and she got really mad at me and wouldn't speak to me for 2 weeks. How dare I tell her to STFU she said. LOL Needless to say we are not as close as we used to be. Another "great" comment she made (with a disgusted look on her face) was, "Are you sure you'd rather have all that excess loose skin then be overweight?" I told her she was rude and unsupportive and she was seriously dumbfounded - thought she was my #1 supported and friend. I figured out why she was saying that kind of stuff to me though - she likes me fat, I make her feel good about herself. Sad but true...

I stuck with these lines:

"My doctor and I have decided this is the best option for me."

"Thank you for worrying about me, but my doctor and I have decided this is the best option for me."

For family members, they knew I had struggled for years and didn't say that, but were worried about the operation. I took my Mom to a support group meeting and a pre-op appt. She felt much better after that.

Lynda

I was able to do the pre op diet because I had the surgery as a goal to get to. Like everyone I would have just gained the weight back and eventually just started eating big meals again.