Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Pat, I have fibro also, and arthritis ,mostly in neck,shoulder and back. I 'm with you in feeling younger than my age. 60 is the new 40 and I believe that's true . Have you had any of your testing yet? I have some scheduled for next week, checkup and authorization from my family Dr.and a psych exam . I'm looking forward to getting all this done. Today is Sunday so I suppose everyone will be watching football. What part of the country is everyone from, I live in Wi. It would be interesting to know where everyone is from and how much support they have in their area. Their is a good support here, meetings, Facebook and group support but not many people our age group. Keep in touch all. Stay safe, be happy, live long....Mary

HI Mary

I have no date set. I want the sleeve but medicare only does it on a case by case basis in AZ and a few other states. The rest of the US they pay for it w/o a problem. I really prefer the sleeve over the RNY or the band.

I'm very healthy so have no worries about surgery. I saw the Dr Thurs and did the psych tests and saw the nutritionist etc. I only need a few blood tests and would be ready to go. I'm pretty active and go to Curves 2-3x a wk (my secondary ins AAPR) pays for it. Called Silver Sneakers.

I have AARP Plan F and it pays the 20% that medicare doesn't.

I'm not afraid to have the surgery and I have good support where I am.

I used to live in Twin Lakes WI.

Hi Shersun, it sure is a small world. I want my husband to move south but he had to buy a retirement home in Winter,Wi. About a 30 min. drive southeast of Hayward,Wi. But I made him agree that when he retires we spend winters traveling the warmer states. You do sound very active , how do you like curves? I have consider joining but don't want to go with the young ,skinny set that look at you like your from another planet. We have an elliptical machine at home that I try using every day but I only made it to 2 min.LOL I won't give up. It sounds like you are all set for your surgery and that you have enough confidence to share with all of us. I considered the sleeve but my Dr. Said I'd be better off with the bypass. He thought the faster weight loss would benefit me more, everyone has a different view point. Keep in touch stay safe, be happy, live long.....Mary

Has anyone went to liquid vitamins and meds? Are you going to crush your meds ? I'd be interested on what everyone decided about this.

Hi ladies! I'm in Missouri and we're having beautiful weather today. I've seen the dietition 3 times so far and my last appt with her is 19 Feb. I've completed my psych eval, sleep study and met with the fitness guru. On 30 Jan I see my PCP and get my EKG. I've also been getting my mammogram and PAP out of the way. Haven't had any bloodwork done yet, but I'm getting closer and closer to Mar which is when my surgeon's nurse says my surgery will be. No date yet though. I'm getting really anxious to get this show on the road, but I'm also a little nervous.

Shersun, wish I had your energy!

Hi everyone, I'm from Riverside CA, I'm having the bypass because I have bad GERD and the sleeve can make it worse, with the band you can still eat any food which means the wrong foods for me, carbs and sweets.

Hope you all have a good week, keep posting! :D

Hi All, I'm a sweet-eater also, bad bad bad

I am 57 and had my sleeve surgery 2 months ago...Its the best thing I ever did...still have a long way to go but I feel great..It was hard the first 2 weeks but everyday gets better & better..I went from a size 18 pants to a 12...My bottom half is shrinking faster than my top...I started in March of 2013 & it was alot of work going to all the group meetings & PT & a NUTritionist & the surgeons nurses & my PC dr & 6 classes with a shrink..then finally with the surgeon..blood tests, ekg's etc....I had to quit smoking & give up all caffeine, which I did.it was a long haul til I got my surgery date of Nov.19th, 2013....BUT it is so worth it....My ins paid 100% but I had to pay the shrink 300.00 out of pocket...The sleeve is a much easier surgery & recovery than the bypass..

Mammecan, Thanks for your input,I have a question ,do you know why we have to give up caffeine? I congratulate you on your first step to success. In my mind you are a hero. Keep up your positive attitude. Stay safe, be happy,live long.......Mary

Hi everyone, I'm nervous to about all of this. Had hip surgery and was on pain killers, so I've not had any appetite ....but that's worn off so I'm not eating very well. I'm approved but I have to wait for clearance from the hip doc. Rats!!!

Welcome IMK, it's common to be nervous, it would be odd if you weren't. From what I learned from my 3 hr. orientation the surgery is fairly safe. They put us through all the bells and whistles to prepare us the best they can to make us ready. We are all in the same boat and I'm not willing to let anyone sink. This is a wonderful support group and everyone is ready to help. The eating problem will gradually get better ,try small soft food a few time a day until you feel better. Keep the faith. Stay safe, be happy, live long.....Mary

Another question, I had to wear those support stockings for 6 weeks after surgery!!!! Do we know if we need to that for bariatric surgery?

Mammecan, Thanks for your input,I have a question ,do you know why we have to give up caffeine? I congratulate you on your first step to success. In my mind you are a hero. Keep up your positive attitude. Stay safe, be happy,live long.......Mary

Caffeine depletes nutrients that you are struggling to get into your body, it slows the healing process. It causes Water retention yet dehydrates you....being 2 months out now, I drink tea (& maybe too much)...but no soda's..the carbonation will kill your belly...I didn't have to wear those support hose..but you have to walk, walk, walk...I had the sleeve so it could be different for the bypass...

That all makes sense ,I think coffee will be one thing I miss. They did tell us about soda in the seminar. How are you feeling since your sleeve? Would you do it again? To care, Mary