Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had to wear them after my knees were replaced but I have no idea about bariatric surgery, mammecan said she didn't have to wear them so let's ask others that have had their surgery. AFTER. SURGERY, DO YOU HAVE TO WEAR SUPPORT HOSE ? Take care, Mary

Ya!!!! Surgery date 2-4. Tomorrow surgeon pre-op, Friday Bariatric class. I am having a narrow silicon band put around the pouch (RNY) which helps keep the stomach from stretching, insurance doesn't pay and will cost me $375 plus hospital copay $100, worth every penny. Will keep everyone up to date. Need to start pre-op Protein shakes tomorrow till surgery,

Best wishes to all!!!!!!

Well best of luck to you! I've not heard of this procedure, but I'm going to ask my doc, sounds like a good idea.

Linda

Dr. Krahn and Dr. Chin at Western Bariatric in San Bernardino CA use the silicon band. The have offices in Riverside, San Bernardino and Rancho Cucamonga CA.

Hi Everyone,

My Dr will do the RNY or the sleeve, but my medicare/aarp will pay 100% for RNY in AZ. I decided on the sleeve. I researched and feel the sleeve would be a better fit for me. There are a few states that medicare (anyone over 62 on medicare) requires the sleeve on a case by case basis by CMS (they administer medicare program and work with the states). I can go to my sons house in MS, the sleeve would be 100% paid, but it would be costly for me w/plane etc. I'm looking at what would be the best course for me. It's crazy that only a few states do not allow the sleeve for medicare except on a case by case basis. I do have 2 co-morbidities high cholesterol, high BP and I've had 2 hip resurfacings due to arthritis. Also had sleep apnea some years ago.

Someone posted a map of the states that medicare allows the sleeve and I wish I would of saved it. Does anyone know how to find it?

I got The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve from Amazon to read. Reviews say it is excellent. There is one for the RNY.

I'm also new to forums so am learning how to post etc.

Hope everyones plans for surgery are going well.

Yes Mary...I would do it again, but if you asked me before the first month was up, I would of told you "no"...I'm a slow healer & the first 3 weeks were bad as far as not being able to eat or drink or get my Protein in....No pain, never any pain....just weak & lazy...Now, I am fine..can eat most anything, just very small...when I go out to eat, I usually get fish or chicken..eat what I can then take the rest home for another 2 meals!!...Drinking is no problem, nor getting my protein in....I have only lost 34 lbs, but I have lost a ton of inches...And I feel good!

Sally, Best Wishes ,Good Luck, Prayers. I wish I was in your shoes and had my surgery coming up. Please keep me posted on your progress. Mary

Hi, I had gastric bypass October, 16, 2013. I am 66 years old. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier. I was on 40 units of lantus and metformin twice a day. I took 4 pills a day for hypertension. I'm off all diabetes meds and take only 1/2 of one of my bp pills. I have lost 55 lbs so far and feel 100% better! I have to say I was really afraid to have this surgery, but I knew I had to do something to have a better quality of life. I can now walk without my hips hurting and climb stairs without getting out of breath. It is so worth it! Good luck to all of you who are in your sixties!

Thanks for the information. Sounds like you are doing great. I'm in Colorado and can't get surgery for another 6 weeks or so, just had hip replacement. It's doing great. I wish I would have done this sooner also, it does help that Medicare and my supplemental will pay for it.

Keep in touch with your journey, us "mature gals " need to stick together!

Linda

Pre-op surgeon visit today, all previous testing OK, he will repair my hiatal hernia during the laparoscopy. Had 6 tubes of blood drawn. Start Liquid Protein diet till surgery 2-4. I finally feel that this is actually going to happen. Friday I have my pre-op information, education class. I will let you know if I learn anything worth passing on.

I got the call to tell me I can have the sleeve Feb 17. WOW it's going to really happen. I'll be 67 in March. What a great b-day gift to myself.

I have all the pre-op appts and The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve to read.

Good luck to all of you with upcoming surgeries! Let us know how you do! Praying for you all to have a safe and easy time of it! I know you will do great!

Pre-op bariatric information class today, received a lot of information on diet and what to eat through each week. Once I am on solid food, about week 4 I will be on only Protein until I lose 75% of my goal weight. All the Vitamins and supplement information all spelled out, quite impressed with the paperwork provided. Having a hard time sticking to the Protein Shakes which is discouraging since I only have 10 days till surgery. Every morning I swear I will stick to it, then by night I roam the kitchen. Just like every other diet I have been on. I know this is a learned behavior, need to unlearn it quick! Maybe I should start sucking my thumb just to have something in my mouth. Like the dietician said, the surgery is the easy part, we still have to watch and plan everything we eat for the rest of our lives.

I had my RNY done on Nov 18th ( 2 months and 1week). I will be 65 in July! My surgeon was so positive about helping me go on this life extending journey! We have 10 Grandkids that I want as much time as possible with! I am a type 1 diabetic, had high b/p and open heart surgery 3 years ago .. GERD was so severe it was damaging my lung... I began surgery weighting 252 .. Today I weighed 199 and have lost 20"s .. Off most meds! Insulin down to 28 units from 350.. No GERD, high b/p gone .. The surgery was really pretty easy as is the plan you will stay on. I am eating most things, 64 ozs of fluids and 80 grams Protein daily! Learning to love working out and swimming again.. Really! Even enjoying a computer app to track everything... Myfitnesspal.com... I am no comp tech but it is fun learning my way around it. I would of been doing this pre op if I knew about it. It is NEVER TOO LATE to change or reinvent ones self! My only regret is that I did not do this years ago! " Just Do It ". Easy since you get so full on 1/2 cup of food and aren't hungry anymore! Even my rheumatoid seems so much better

Edited by Birthsjourney

I had my RNY done on Nov 18th ( 2 months and 1week). I will be 65 in July! My surgeon was so positive about helping me go on this life extending journey! We have 10 Grandkids that I want as much time as possible with! I am a type 1 diabetic, had high b/p and open heart surgery 3 years ago .. GERD was so severe it was damaging my lung... I began surgery weighting 252 .. Today I weighed 199 and have lost 20"s .. Off most meds! Insulin down to 28 units from 350.. No GERD, high b/p gone .. The surgery was really pretty easy as is the plan you will stay on. I am eating most things, 64 ozs of fluids and 80 grams Protein daily! Learning to love working out and swimming again.. Really! Even enjoying a computer app to track everything... Myfitnesspal.com... I am no comp tech but it is fun learning my way around it. I would of been doing this pre op if I knew about it. It is NEVER TOO LATE to change or reinvent ones self! My only regret is that I did not do this years ago! " Just Do It ". Easy since you get so full on 1/2 cup of food and aren't hungry anymore! Even my rheumatoid seems so much better

Hi!congrats im so excited for u..i know it feels good to be able to live again knowing that from now on your be more healthy. ..i cant wait till i get approved n a date.