Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone over 65 considering surgery or did anyone over 65 have the RNY? I would love to hear from you.

Hi, I will be 65 in April and have been working toward the surgery since July. Just need final MD sign off and surgery date. Am waiting anxiously to get this done and get on with my life, how about you?

Sally

Hi Sally,I'm 67 and just started the process ,I should have surgery by June. I'm a little apprehensive because the Dr. questioned my decision to do surgery at my age. My thinking is I want to enjoy the time I have left. I am glad you responded ,now I know I'm not alone. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Good Luck . Mary

Mary, I've been trying to get the surgery for several years but initially the insurance did not pay, then my PMD just ignored my request. I had to push him for the referral, I feel the same way you do, I don't want to spend the rest of my life fat and fighting everyday to diet, then feel like a failure when I gain again. I am active and want to stay that way, I just started a new Zumba class for beginners and love to do the Avon Walks.

Keep me updated, it took me from last July till now to complete the process of classes, tests, med clearances, and to lose the required weight. It has been a looog journey.

Sally

Hi I'm approved through Medicare, but I needed hip replacement. I had it on Dec 23 2013. So now I have to wait. Until March, which gives me way to much time to think about it. I'm 65 and I want to get on with my life too. It is a little scary when you're older!

I think being 65 is a lot different today that it was 20 years ago. I read an article about the baby boomers are more active because they are able to have repairs and replacements and expect to have things fixed and continue doing their activities. We don't go down without fighting!!!! I need a knee replacement after I lose 50# and shoulder surgery sometime soon. Losing weight is going to make both of these surgeries much safer and help me continue my wild and wicked ways (just kidding on the wicked part).

I've had both knees replaced at the same time and made it through that so I figure I'll get through bypass, I agree that being in our 60's is so different than 20 yrs ago. Why don't the we seniors stick together so some extra support? I know I would appreciate your input . Stay safe,live long and have fun!!!

I tried to start a support group for Senior Surgery's in Community's but I can't figure how to post to it. I'm going to have to spend some time tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.

I'm new here. I'm 66, 67 in March, and am going to have the RNY. Saw my Dr this aft. Date not set yet but my medicare and secondary pays 100%. I have a few blood tests to get but everything looks like a go.

I have had 2 hip resurfacings 6 and 8 yrs ago.

I have 70 lbs to loose because I want the years I have left to be healthy and happy.

I have 2 friends who have had the RNY and both are in their 60's and glad they had it.

Welcome Shersun, It's great to hear from another golden oldie LOL, I also just started my journey . I have ins. and Medicare part A,I didn't realize that Medicare would pay for bariatric surgery. I'll have to check to see if part A will cover some of the hospital charges. I do have a deductible and some co- pay so that might help,thanks for the info. My dr. requires a psychological exam and I need to see a heart doc. because I was diagnosed with 1 percent heart failure . When those are complete they said my surgery would be end of May or beginning of June. Do you worry about having the surgery at our age? The only concern I have is my doc said if something does go wrong it takes a lot to recover at my age, but In order to be healthy and have a productive life I'm willing to go for it. I hope you will keep in touch with us. Stay safe,have fun, live long, Mary

I am 65 and expect to have rny in March, no specific date yet. I'm so happy to find others in my age group. We can provide support to each other. I have been lurking on this site for months and this is the first time I've responded to any of the posts. I have learned so much here!

Welcome P Quinn, Come join the rocking chair set LOL. All of us have the same motives in joining together for support. Do you have a time for your surgery? How are you doing? I'm also learning a lot just by reading all the posts. It sure helps to get advice by others that have been through it. I know Chapstick, bathrobe ,socks and someone said flavoring for the Water in the hospital and a big thing is where and what kind of flavored Protein to buy. It's a great website and now we have a nice group started. hurray! Keep in touch, stay safe, be happy, live long. Mary

Well guys, started a low impact Zumba class with my good friend and spent 45 min sweating like a pig, it felt so good and I am so bad at it there were times I just had to stand still cause I was lost. I have a hard time making my feet do something and my arms do something else. But had a ball. Monday is a "belly fit" class with low impact Zumba, yoga and strength all rolled into one. The more exercise I get before surgery the better. But I am NOT a morning person and I have to get up at 8:00 and that's to earlier for someone who is retired.

I was hoping to here from the surgeon's office with the appointment to met for the pre-op nutrition meeting then do pre-op labs but no word yet. Getting a little P.O. cause I can't make plans for the shoulder surgery until I recover from this surgery..

Oh well. Time for bed, hope you all have a great weekend and keep the faith!

Sally

Hi All, Happy Saturday, I'm wondering where you get all your energy Sally? I feel as tired in the a.m. as I did when I went to bed. I'm hoping with surgery comes more energy. Are any of you feeling apprehensive? Sometimes the surgery is all I can think about. Did anyone buy their Protein Drinks yet? If so have you sampled any. Does anyone know why you can't have coffee after? Is anyone doing this on their own without telling everyone in your family? I have the support of my husband and one daughter but haven't told the rest of the family because they wouldn't understand. I don't know how I'm going to address their questions later but I feel this is a very personal choice and I shouldn't have to explain myself to them. Thanks for listening. Stay safe, have fun, live long.......Mary

I'm so happy I found this group! All of you seem to be like me--I plan to live a longer, happier and healthier rest of my life. In my head I feel about 35-40, but my body needs some work. I have fibromyalgia and have had two back surgeries and the extra doesn't help either one! I am currently having radiofrequency ablation on my lower back to stop the pain I now have from arthritis--and it's working. :-D I am looking forward to being able to exercise again.:-)

Pat