Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

I'm 8 weeks post op the doctor released me for normal activity.

I've worked out for at least an hour everyday last week and this week, however I have gained a pound. I don't get it. What an I doing worng?

Oh dear, oh dear....don't sweat it. You are at the start of your journey and you'll experience lots of ups and downs...literally and figuratively over time. I'm going to give you a wonderful piece of advice. Stop weighing yourself...or do it much less often. If you are following the instructions your doctor gave you, the weight will come off...I promise. In fact, even if the weight doesn't come off the way you expect, the inches will. Measure yourself now and again a month from now ...and you'll see what I mean. Also...look for those NSVs. They will tell you better than any number on a scale, how well you are doing. Good luck!

I see that you have lost 23 lbs, tho' You might gain a little after coming off liquid diet and then starting the gym. You are building muscles if you are working out that much. don't get discouraged! Back away from teh scale for awhile. You might start seeing NSV'S( those are non-scale victories). Are your clothes fitting better? are you able to bend over to tie your shoes? etc. Karen..aka..kll724

seems to me you are doing everything right and it saddens me to read you concerned about what you are doing wrong? are you doing something wrong? to gain a true pound, you must eat 3500 calories (and not burn it off). did you do that? nope, not by what you wrote.....focus on inches coming off as that is a sign of truel/actual weight LOSS and making yourself healthier and def dont judge yourself so harshly by the scale as it goes up and down all day long....

This is a very common time to feel a bit of discouragement. I noticed it when I read so many posts while waiting to get banded and I filed it away -- people have a dip a couple of months out. Still that knowledge didn't keep me from experiencing it myself. I think it has to do with all that excitement at the thought of getting banded, the tremendous lead-up to that, all the courage and determination then the act itself. Afterwards there's so much to learn and then of course we had the holidays -- all the hoopla wears off about now (eight weeks out) and that's when the blues can come along. The band is installed, initial weight from pre-op diets in some cases and the post-op loss has taken place but then the scale isn't moving much and the hunger is still there. This is where the fills come in. Until the Lapband is adjusted properly it isn't really doing anything (unless the band was primed, etc.). I rode on the tightness of my band post-surgery but then when I was all healed up and the appetite returned I was worried. Even though I knew all this already from those who went before me. Why isn't it working? Am I going to have to DIET!? What if I can't do it? All those thoughts. Now I have had fills and I'm feeling good again. I know the band is working and there is that relief. The appetite is dimmed and I feel in control and happy. This is why followup care is so very important with the band. Good luck to you and keep reaching out. We are all in this together and it's going to be fine. More than fine!

Hey! First of all congrats on the weight loss so far! I would think that going back on "normal foods" and working out would slow the weight loss process. You are building muscle and giving your body more nutrition. I am at the end of my first week post op and dropped about 10 lbs! However, I know it is mostly because I am on Clear liquids only and there is a possibility I may go up a little as I incorporate food into my diet again.

It's a difficult journey but just keep doing what you are supposed to do (diet/exercise) and the weight will come off I am sure! We can't let the little set-backs disappoint us too much because that is when you fall off the wagon.

Good luck!

Hello
I'm 8 weeks post op the doctor released me for normal activity.
I've worked out for at least an hour everyday last week and this week, however I have gained a pound. I don't get it. What an I doing worng?

....rarely mentioned in such circumstances, is the results of 'mostly empty colon' due to longish liquid intake, then the addition of several days or a week of even mushies. Our colon contents, depending on lots of variables, can easily account for several pounds seeming weight gain.

Measure inches and changing body conformation. NSV will help focus on your real results.

Congratulations and cheers on your journey.

Remember that you are only 8 weeks post op from a major surgical procedure. Your body though on the road to recovery has not fully healed.

That being said the immune response to trauma and stress, (and the body views exercise as stress) is inflammatory. Right now your body probably thinks your life is in danger. You have put it through a traumatic experience added something to it that does not "belong" there since you weren't born with it. You have cut your calories in more then half, and now your doing a work out that is eating up the body's reserves. Not only are you going to swell up a bit and retain fluids, your body will hang on to every ounce of food you eat since it thinks it will need the energy to save your life.

Take a little break, keep eating right and move into the work outs slowly. Let your body catch up with your mind set which is in a great place! If you start getting discouraged now, it's going to become harder to get that mindset back when your body finally realizes that your doing this on purpose and that it's not being done to hurt you.

Give yourself some extra TLC and you will be all the better for it and you will soon see the pounds peeling away!

You can not get upset every time you go up a pound and back down. It's going to happen. Your success depends on your ability to be positive even when the scale doesn't move. If you get discouraged over a pound what will happen when you are at a stand still for a couple of months or maybe longer. It happens. Think positive for your journey. If you are constantly discouraged or disappointed at your weight it will take you that much longer to lose. Stop weighing yourself every single day. If you can't stop getting on the scale every day get rid of it and only weigh at your appointments. There are many things that determine a few pounds up and down. Water retention is the number one issue. Drink all your Water everyday so you can get it out of your system. Just go with the flow.

just an FYI I didn't really start to lose weight until I had several fills. Everyone is different (one of the ladies that was banded the same day I was lost 48 pounds in the first 3 months) - during the same period I lost 10 pounds.

It seems some people lose their appetite simply by having the band in place. I am one of those people that actually need to feel restriction. I needed to be reminded daily tiny bites, eat slowly, small quantity. - the band does that for me. I saw a great quote on here... "I control the quality - the band controls the quantity"

Stay very in tune to your body, talk to your doctor and keep going back until you start meeting your objectives. 2 pounds a week is great. Remember the food you put in your mouth is fuel to help you be healthy and have energy.

hang in there... dont get discouraged and most importantly GO BACK TO YOUR DOCTOR until you hit the green zone! :)

Thanks for all your help guys. I am going to stay off the scale.< /p>

Don't feel bad, check out my stats below :(. I feel I am eating way less, but my weight is not budging. I am getting filled VERY slowly and currently have only 2.7 cc in my band. I have faith that with more fills, the magic will happen. It is a bit discouraging though I must admit.