Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain meds after surgery ?

Ok, so long story short, I am going to have to be self-pay. I anticipate having the money for either Dr. Shillingford (in Florida, where I live) which is $10,800. However, I am seriously considering Dr. Alvarez (Mexico) because I just feel his reviews, demeanor, patient care seems to be outstanding. My question is this: will I receive adequate pain meds. I am always done very poorly after any kind of surgery, and feel that I may not receive the needed pain meds. Dr. Alvarez's coordinator, Susan, said after the surgery only liquid Torodal (I think) is given but most people require little pain meds.

I'm scared because I already deal with a lot of pain from chronic daily headache which is relentless but I don't really take anything for.

Any suggestions or comments concerning the pain after surgery and making sure that it is available, if needed.

Sorry for the long post to ask a simple question. Thanks all.

I was self pay also and personally, I would go with the doctor in Florida as opposed to the dr in Mexico. (Just my 2 cents). I also live in Florida, The healthcare here is much better and more safe than in Mexico. I have seen people on this site who have gone to Mexico and they've had problems. It was also hard for them to find a doctor to do fills and follow up care. I've also heard that they use bands that are outdated.

You can do a search on this website - type in Surgery in Mexico or something like that and you should get threads speaking about this very subject. I'm not saying you wouldn't be alright if you did decide to do the surgery over there, it's just not worth it in case you do have problems. Usually doctors have payment plans and will work with self-pay patients. There's alot of aftercare with having the band that you really need to consider.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose! Take care & keep us posted :)

Oh, and they do give you pain medicine and it is uncomfortable for about the first week or so, but it's manageable. I started working 4 days after surgery. Some people need a little longer - some do not.

I filled a prescription for narcotic pain medication ahead of time but didn't end up needing it. I had a one night hospital stay with ibuprofen in my IV drip. At home the next morning I took some liquid ibuprofen and liquid Tylenol but only a dose or two as the discomfort, while certainly noticeable, was not hard to manage. To me it was so much better than I thought it would be -- nothing like dentistry pain, which it hate, or cramps, back out, etc. Maybe this is because the band is for something. It is a purposeful exciting time vs. being ill or an accident -- the kinds of things that usually take us to our doctors. There are some studies out about narcotic medication slowing the healing process. For me, I don't like the side effects -- the out of it feeling, nausea, Constipation, etc. The incisional pain is sore at first but it's laporoscopic and looks worse than it is. I had pain around my port and even used ice packs on it one day. It is sewn to a muscle inside and can yowl a little. I'm have arthritis, etc. so my pain tolerance is pretty high. Know that you may feel low for a day or two but then you'll be better each day. There is a left shoulder pain that many people get. I did and it was painful -- did not arrive for me immediately. I worked it out, though, and a little tylenol definitely did the trick.

Whatever you do, remember that walking is the best possible thing post-surgery. From the moment I woke up I walked every time I had to get up to pee -- donned a robe and flip-flops, grabbed the IV pole a d up and down the halls I went. Then back to bed for a bit and a repeat of same. By the time I was ready to be released I had covered a lot of ground. My body wanted this -- like a horse with colic. It helped work out the kinks, release any trapped gas and shrug off the anesthesia. At home I started in walking around our driving circle as soon as I got home. I had to force myself but I'm so glad I did it.

Best wishes as you get everything figured out. I can't believe how quickly the two plus months since my surgery have flown by. I am very excited about my new banded life and so happy I made this decision for my health. Good luck to you!

Ok, so long story short, I am going to have to be self-pay. I anticipate having the money for either Dr. Shillingford (in Florida, where I live) which is $10,800. However, I am seriously considering Dr. Alvarez (Mexico) because I just feel his reviews, demeanor, patient care seems to be outstanding. My question is this: will I receive adequate pain meds. I am always done very poorly after any kind of surgery, and feel that I may not receive the needed pain meds. Dr. Alvarez's coordinator, Susan, said after the surgery only liquid Torodal (I think) is given but most people require little pain meds.

I'm scared because I already deal with a lot of pain from chronic daily headache which is relentless but I don't really take anything for.

Any suggestions or comments concerning the pain after surgery and making sure that it is available, if needed.

Sorry for the long post to ask a simple question. Thanks all.

I personally chose the bypass because long term health is better than the band &some ppl I work with are now doing a revision to bypass & err 're bands have failed them 4yrs later.

Sorry I thought this was a Lapband thread. I support all weight loss surgeries but of course I love my band. Please be careful of unsupported statements about one surgery vs, another.

I thought it was relating to lapband also ... But regardless - I wish you the best of luck & it doesn't matter which surgery you choose - just be diligent about where you are going and make sure you do your research if you are going out of the country. And again - I wish the best for you

Weather people have their surgery in the states or Mexcio I think is a personal choice of comfort. What concerns me is that the surgeon blankets what they will give you. I would think a surgeon would take each patient into account. I did fine with post op pain but I was comforted by the fact the my surgeon prescribed several levels of meds. I did not need most of them but they were at my disposal. Based on your concern, I would want to know that if that did not work, something else would be available.

I would want to stay ahead of the pain, not chase it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, I am seeking the VSG surgery. When I posted this from my tablet, I clicked on "General Weight Loss Surgery Discussions". If this is showing up on a lapband thread, it was totally unintentional. I'm having some issues with this site since its conversion.

I will take all comments into consideration and make the best decision for me.

Thanks all.

Oops - deleted my post. Posted to the wrong subject!

Edited by DLCoggin

Ok, so long story short, I am going to have to be self-pay. I anticipate having the money for either Dr. Shillingford (in Florida, where I live) which is $10,800. However, I am seriously considering Dr. Alvarez (Mexico) because I just feel his reviews, demeanor, patient care seems to be outstanding. My question is this: will I receive adequate pain meds. I am always done very poorly after any kind of surgery, and feel that I may not receive the needed pain meds. Dr. Alvarez's coordinator, Susan, said after the surgery only liquid Torodal (I think) is given but most people require little pain meds.<br><br> I'm scared because I already deal with a lot of pain from chronic daily headache which is relentless but I don't really take anything for.<br><br> Any suggestions or comments concerning the pain after surgery and making sure that it is available, if needed.<br><br> Sorry for the long post to ask a simple question. Thanks all.

I had my surgery with Dr Alvarez on Sept 27, 2013. I was in very little pain. I was given 4 boxes of pain meds to take home. I only used a few pills. I still have 2 unopened boxes. I've lost 87 pounds. I love my sleeve and and I'm so glad I choose Dr. A.

everyone on my sleeve group who used dr A has been very happy with their care. i know one woman was dropped by her doctor after the surgery. so its important to make sure you have someone to follow up with and do blood work, etc after surgery. i had the VSG and was in the hosp 3 days, but i had complications due to excessive scar tissue from my gall bladder surgery 11 years before. i was pretty out of it the first 3-4 days home with lots of nausea for 2 weeks afterwards... but i am not typical. i needed extra healing time due to what my doc found when he opened me up. i needed to return to the hospital for fluids and meds. but you could get that in any hospital if you had the need. talk direct with the people here who have used both docs. i am not so sure what you would get in MX is any less than what you would get in FL. the clinics in MX arent for the average mexican, they are designed and paid for by medical tourists.

My sister had her surgery in Mexico because she was a self-pay. She had better care in mx than anywhere we've had surgery in the US. When her pain meds were making her nauseated they switched it to something else. She also was given pain meds for home but didn't need them.

Whatever surgery you have, beware pain meds afterwards and try to limit them as soon as possible because they cause terrible Constipation. Search threads here to read about patient experiences with constipation. It is a very common problem the first week.

Whatever surgery you have, beware pain meds afterwards and try to limit them as soon as possible because they cause terrible Constipation. Search threads here to read about patient experiences with constipation. It is a very common problem the first week.

Get liquid pain meds, if possible. Everyone is different; I needed pain meds for a week, some only need Tylenol. Be careful not to take too much Tylenol...can cause liver failure.