Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been reading posts and see that some doctors require diets with no caffeine. I'm not as worried about giving up food as I am coffee and iced tea. Is this temporary, just pre-surgery? Wouldn't unsweetened iced tea be included in a liquid diet?

Thanks, total beginner here and just now scheduling surgery class, NUT and MH visits for surgery late April/May.

I was told no caffeine due to irritation to the stomach. I used to be one of those people that would have 3-4 cups a day, and I could drink a pot at night and still go to bed with no ill effects. Now that I've detoxed myself off of it, I have a Decaf coffee once in a while, and I really don't even enjoy the taste of it anymore. I was never a big tea drinker before either, but I do like a peppermint tea now and then (caffeine free of course) :)

Yup, caffeine is a gastric irritant. I have been zealously compliant with almost all my team's rules. Caffeine is not one of them. I started having a half serving of Chike iced coffee Protein Shake a couple weeks after surgery. About three months after surgery I started having an occasional cup of black coffee. I was supposed to wait six months. I haven't had any problems, but I have always had a digestive tract made of steel (my whole family does - my brother in law swears we could all survive on a diet of old dirty t-shirts, rusty tin cans, and noxious weeds) and wasn't expecting any problems. So, I strongly encourage everyone to follow their doctor's orders and not my terrible example.

Coffee (especially) and some teas can be an irritant... caffeine whets your appetite, so it makes you feel hungry... I have Decaf iced tea ALL the time...with tocani SF Syrup (raspberry) or splenda/stevia... I don't like any of the other crystal lights etc ... yet...

Not only are they irritant, but they are a diuretic. They make you go potty. Especially coffee. It's hard enough to get your fluids in to keep you from getting dehydrated without coffee. Add in coffee and you're going to the bathroom more. That's why a lot of people say coffee gives them diarrhea and if they are constipated they just drink a cup. Well, it's what my nut says anyway. I can't have it til I'm over 6 months out and am getting at least 64 ounces of liquid in.

coffee can irritate your new tiny tummy and it's a diuretic, which can push you towards dehydration when you're trying to get your fluids in.

I didn't want to but I had to quit caffeine 4 weeks before surgery - that's what my surgeon's requirement was. I hated it because I love my coffee.< /p>

My local doc said no caffeine when I arrived back home. I was bummed, but complied. Immediately after surgery it wasn't a big deal because I didn't have any room for another beverage.

At my 6 week check up I asked my local doc about coffee - she approved one cup per day and I had to pinkie promise to not go back to my 3-5 cup a cay habit. I now enjoy one caffeinated coffee per day with coconut milk Creamer and one teaspoon of honey. I log it so I count all those calories and carbs.

Thank you for posting this question - I just had my 1st appointment today & was wondering the same thing.

For those of you that were big drinkers pre-surgery, did you experience caffeine withdrawal and, if so, for how long? On the days that I don't drink my usual amount of coffee I experience severe headaches, nausea & sometimes I get sick. I'm a little worried about quitting altogether! I guess I should slowly start weaning myself off of it now...

I've been reading posts and see that some doctors require diets with no caffeine. I'm not as worried about giving up food as I am coffee and iced tea. Is this temporary, just pre-surgery? Wouldn't unsweetened iced tea be included in a liquid diet?

Thanks, total beginner here and just now scheduling surgery class, NUT and MH visits for surgery late April/May.

Im 8 months out I have coffee everyday since one month post-op my doc told me its ok if my tummy can tolerate it but to watch the cream sugar in it

I was told no caffeine because of the tummy irritant and it's dehydration effects. I stopped drinking caffeine loooong before I even thought about surgery...I have a Keurig machine, and they have really good tasting Decaf coffee k-cups.

I'll be 2 years out in April and I have been enjoying my coffee, iced coffee and iced tea pretty much since a week post-op... No issues whatsoever... Different Dr's give different advice.... My surgeon did not have anything against coffee. I didn't have this surgery to NEVER have a certain food or drink again.... All in moderation....

Listen to your Dr. but also listen to your body...... best advice that I can give.....

I am one week away from surgery and yes I was told the same thing. I started weaning myself off caffeine about 2 months ago, and it was tough. I had headaches and cravings for a couple of weeks and never really was completely off until six days ago when I started my pre-op diet.

I am ok. I am surviving on one Decaf coffee in the morning. And actually, the coffee is starting to taste weird. Maybe it's in my head but it doesn't give me the same same pleasure as the 3+ cups I used to have a day. I guess without the caffeine rush it has lost its luster.

I was told no caffeine for 6 months after surgery. Honestly, if I can deal with it I may not go back to it. I never really liked the idea that I just HAD to have my coffee to function. It made me feel like an addict (food addiction is enough without another vice)

Just my .02

Thanks so much, this is really helpful. I think I'm more worried about caffeine issues than food! I better start weaning myself off of it now.

Thank you for posting this question - I just had my 1st appointment today & was wondering the same thing.

For those of you that were big drinkers pre-surgery, did you experience caffeine withdrawal and, if so, for how long? On the days that I don't drink my usual amount of coffee I experience severe headaches, nausea & sometimes I get sick. I'm a little worried about quitting altogether! I guess I should slowly start weaning myself off of it now...

I went thru withdrawal when I tried to go cold turkey - it was horrible. I was a 3-5 cup a day gal prior to that.

I ended up weening myself off - cutting back to 3 cups of caffeinated for a few days, then 2 cups of caff and 1 Decaf for a few days and so on until I was only on decaf and green tea.

I was actually surprised at the level of withdrawal I went thru - headaches, sick to my stomach, irritable, etc. When I cut back slowly it was much better and the withdrawal symptoms were reduced considerably.