Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

going on cruise and lapband

Ok bear with me here for just a minute so I can give you an idea of my past experience and where I am coming from with my question

Question- Should I think of getting a small unfill (like 1/2 a cc) prior to going on our Alaskan cruise?

Past experience

Went on first cruise just hubby and I post lapband and very near to goal. Did have restriction when I first got on ship but sometime over the course of the cruise I got a kink in the tubing and lost all my Fluid and hence the restriction too.

Second cruise I was post surgery (to fix an infected port site) and had no port so I was not in the green zone but still had issues during the cruise of items getting stuck and some days getting more than 2 or 3 bites down was just impossible.

Ok fast forward

Going to be going on another Alaskan cruise this time with whole family (4 of us) I have great restriction now and am close to being at goal again; within 25 pounds give or take. I know that I will get tighter on the cruise from sodium content of food on board and change of routine. stress, etc take your pick. Also activity level will be greater than normal with excursions, walking, exploring, dancing, drinking on board, etc.

So do I go at this somewhat proactively and get a small unfill so that I do not risk becoming so tight on board I get really sick or just let it go. I know that Dr. on board most likely will have no experience with lapbands and odds of him having anything to do an unfill is slim to none. Besides unless it was dire I would not want another Dr. to adjust the band anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Considering how I feel right now, if it were me and since you are questioning it yourself I think you should get a slight unfill. I don't think it would be an issue if you didn't, but really think about it.

I have been on many cruises since being banded four years. I have never had any issues with my band being on a ship or off the ship. It is pretty much up to you but I myself would not if you have good restriction. If you feel that you need to by all means do it. Ask your doctor what he thinks about it and your past history. Other then that I would not get an unfill.

If I were in your situation, I would not, but only because I would be doing so to give myself permission to eat all the lovely buffet offerings that are what make a cruise ship's reputation. Having the band at correct restriction would help me from indulging in my overeating/bad choices old habits. I know I would not be able to stop myself if I had a too-loose band.

I went to a Club Med last November (Club Meds are also known for unlimited delicious buffets) and came back greatly thanking my band for helping me keep to the straight and narrow.

The thing is, if you've got the correct fill currently, and you stick to band rules in terms of quantity and chewing and slowing down when eating...you won't get stuck. But if you know that you might want to relax around the band rules during this cruise (and that's completely understandable) and you don't want issues with PBing, etc, then go ahead and get the unfill.

Edited by parisshel

Wow it sounds like you have some pretty rotten luck when it comes to Cruises with your band. If it were me I wouldn't dare risk my band or restriction. You posted the question and one of the options was not 'not go at all' which is what I would choose. So with the two options you gave me I would opt not to get an unfill.

You sound like a frequent Cruiser. If it were me I would find a way to adapt my new lifestyle with my vacation habits or I would find a new vacation habit that worked with it.

LOL not cruising, banish the thought! No I love to cruise, just being able to get away places I have never seen, history, just love it.

Parisshel I think you hit my fear on the head, I am afraid that if I get some taken out I will push it just a touch to far and lose the ground. Because over time when I was having issues with the port site getting infected I gained weight back. Luckily I have lost nearly all I gained but still scares me. And I would have a month with less restriction not just the week we are gone.

I really don't want to have any taken out but past history is scary. But I think it was circumstance not the cause. How the tubing kinked on first cruise hard to say why it ever did, may have been that way and just happened to give out at that point.

I cruise 2-3 times a year & have never had an unfill for a cruise. Saying that, I was worried last time (in October) because my band was really tight before going. I started drinking a hot liquid before my meals (Soup or tea/coffee). I was fine.

In the end, you need to go with your gut feeling on this one...

Keep us posted on your cruise.. I am contemplating doing a Alaskan Cruise this year.. always wanted to go and my husband has finally agreed to go.. I am about 15 lbs from my goal and I wouldn't want to go crazy on a cruise and push my goal back..

We have been on many cruises since I was banded....I look at it as just another day as far as eating goes...with the band controlling my appetite and inability to over eat....

Life with my band is a NEW LIFESTYLE...that I have accepted and want to continue for the rest of my life....for me, I do not want to look at it as something I can turn on, turn off...decide to use as well as decide not to use...that is how I always got into trouble with dieting in the past...I had too much control...it always started with a little rationalization...I'll cheat today and make up for it tomorrow, etc...pretty soon the whole thing would go to pot....I would get completely off track, and I would once again be a big failure....

For me...WLS is permanent....day in and day out....a physical change as well as mental.....I do not want to control it, I want it to control me...

But then, everyone's approach to Weight Loss is different I suppose....

Edited by B-52

Can you request a low sodium diet? This would help with the increase in Fluid. I am going a cruise at the end of the year, and if I can I will request a low sodium diet.