Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any cavemen/paleo diet followers?

Hi! I am a big advocate of the paleo/caveman way of eating however I wondered if there were any others out there and if you had any mushies stage recipes you could share. At the moment I cant stop thinking about mashed avocado w.mashed up boiled egg. I think I may have gone nuts on broth this week as that sounds like the worst combo haha.

If you aren't familiar with paleo/caveman the basic principles are if you can't pick it or kill it don't eat it. So no grains, sugars, dairy etc etc. Its very basic but I find it very filling and clean as a way of eating.

For me,,,I am at the point where I don't diet anymore...don't like the word....I am at a point where I let my band dictate what and how much I eat....and since my eating is very limited, I make the best of what I do eat...make the best decisions possible....

An old rule from those old dieting days...."don't eat anything white" White bread, white rice, sugar, salt, flour, milk, potatoes, etc.....

I don't eat anything made from flour anymore...bread, cakes, do-nuts, etc...just does not agree with my band. Rice is not band friendly for me, as the case with potatoes....sugar, milk and salt...self explanatory...

I also have given up meat since surgery...another food that does not agree with my band...and since everyone was trying to get me to quit...it seemed as good a time as any...

But again, that me....and I let the band be my guide....it has not failed me...

Hi B-52. Paleo is definitely not a diet more of a way of eating. As I see it the band controls the quantity and I control the quality. I think paleo is a very nutrious/clean way of eating and you could if you wanted combine it with a diet plan like weight watchers or slimming world.

I think the idea of dieting with a band is my worst nightmare, I didn't do this to further restrict myself, I am so excited for my first meal and experimenting with what mt band will or won't tolerate.

Did you find once you started eating again there were things you didn't expect you wouldn't be able to tolerate? I'm really hoping steak isn't a problem although I have a feeling it might be a tough one...

i eat steak. rib eye is my favorite. i have found with meats that they really either need to be on the rare side or is the moist part of the meat, like dark meat over white meat. i am only allowed 1 red meat a week but everyday i do have chicken, turkey or fish as my Protein. its the way you eat it that is important. a lot of ppl follow the Atkins diet. Protein isyour first priority. so when you are eating solids that is what you will need to concentrate on. when i was reading your post that avocado and egg sounded so good. lol i love avocado. my doctor does not. great fats he says but calories no. i told him i'm from califonia for Gods sake. i eat avocados. but i have gotten used to not having them. as you will. good luck

I loved avocado chicken salad when I was on mushy's. I'd squeeze a bit of lemon and lime juice to it, and add some very very finely chopped cucumber! So good!

Waaaaaarrgh avocado and chicken.get in ma belly!

Whats your recipe for it, if you don't mind me asking? Am coming up to mushies and that sounds delicious! X

i eat as clean as i can....eating better (no processed foods) is def the way to go..

i eat what i like/want and the band tells me (when i had enough)...aka my band allotted portion and i am good to go.....

def wanting to see this chick/avocado recipe...can someone PM that to me please

I can't find my recipe on my phone but simply one way is to buy the premix guac and mix it with chicken. That's pretty quick and easy.

Does chicken blend well? I wonder if you blitzed it a bit in the blender with avocado, lime, chilli and coriander if you could make a mushie that way?

Oh, it's so easy! I'd just take an avocado, some chicken breast, finely chopped cucumber, squeezed a bit of juice from both a lemon and a lime...I'd just pulse it in my food processor so everything was to a good 'mushy' texture. Add any other seasonings you'd like! I've even made it with some salsa mixed it.

That sounds so good. Definitely Making that for one of my first mushy meals!

I'm just eating healthy foods. I'm eliminating mostly high content carbs & startches. I've stayed on lots of Soups for dinner rather than steak & other products that are heavy items. Some fresh fruit is used 3 times a week or so. I'm just picking better foods.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

Pixie, you may be surprised at how little it takes to fill you up!

Absolutely Bandista. At the moment am getting a bowl of Soup and maybe 1ltr of liquids in over the day. No idea how to get food in as soup takes all day to eat! Am excited for the challenge of what I will and won't be able to manage. Can't wait to see the results at the end of the year!

...haven't made it to 'paleo' yet....still too much grain/bread....

but I have grown fond of spaghetti squash in all it's spendor, easily outclassing any Pasta spaghetti I've ever seen.

I've also graduated away from the blenderizer-meat whizzer thing, to actual 'meat grinder' that makes the hard Proteins easier for me to chew/swallow without gakking so much.

Standard fresh raw most veggies are way better these days, without the sauces etc.

I'm not convinced my own PaleoUncles took the time to milk their goats & make yogurt yet somehow didn't discover the advantages of butter.

Grill outside is far more satisfying too.

I make a marvelous Dutch Oven "veggie pot" using nothing for seasoning but onion chunks & garlic cloves & a bit of salt & pepper...sweet potato or yam works better for me than potatoes as well. Maybe not 'paleo' but I feel like a caveman....