Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh boy! I need some support folks!

Pre admission testing was done today. Tomorrow I start my liquid diet. Surgery is January 20th. My questions are:

1. Did you have second thoughts on getting the surgery done?

2. I am stressed out and having anxiety over this surgery, is this common?

We're going on vacation on February 17th, I'll be on soft foods by then. I hope I make the right choices and don't get myself sick. I also think that being so stressed out has caused me to get a cold. I hope I don't get a fever, or they won't do surgery. Ugh!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In answer:

1) Yes, abso-bleedin'-lutely. I had such a wobble, I postponed my surgery and ran away on holiday for a week to 'think' about it.... I wrote down the pros and the cons. The pros won and I got sleeved on the 19th September.

2) As above. I got very nervous, 20 minutes before I walked into theatre. I reminded myself of the pros and cons as above, strode in, head held high and knew I was doing the right thing.

You have to be sure of your pros and cons. If you do yourself a list, you'll be seeing everything in black and white. My cons were largely focussed on 'what if I didn't have this surgery?'. The results were shocking.. and voluminous in comparison. The cons were VERY sobering...

As for the soft foods? Out and about in restaurants? Soft veggies, roast meats, gravy, prawns in sauce.. Chew really well and you'll be totally fine.

Best of luck with your list ;)

I was just sleeved on Tuesday. The hardest part for me was the pain. I wasn't one of the lucky ones that had little pain. Today is better, but still some pain. The gas SUCKS! But that's not my major pain, it's the area they operated on that's really tender. My doctor is great and the staff here are VERY nice. I didn't think of backing out because I had six months to prepare myself. I'm glad did it (for now). Good luck to you and with ur surgery.

I was terror stricken pre-op and i think that is pretty common. I am over 2 years out and maintaining a weight loss of 160# and I can tell you it has been sooo worth it.

I was terrified. But I kept taking deep breaths and focusing on what was going to happen positively after the surgery because I felt I had run out of road and this was my last chance to be healthy and fit. I couldn't back out as I didn't have a plan B.

No regrets. Yes, there has been pain, yes, there have been problems, yes, I have had to deal with staying on track and yes, I did have a day when I thought wtf have I done???!!!! But the good days far outweigh all of that.

Life has been transformed. I am now the person I always was inside - now I match on the outside :-)))))

I ran the gamut of emotions before surgery - you are perfectly normal.

I had second thoughts the day before surgery. I had to go to a mandatory pre-op meeting (I was self pay so this was the first time I met everyone). I felt better after the meeting, but was still a little nervous. In admitting the day of surgery I handed over my paperwork and thought to myself, "I could walk out of here right now and only be out $500." I had some intense internal debate within myself. I then looked at my husband. I thought about all the reasons why I wanted to do this in the first place. I thought about my mom who has been morbidly obese her entire adult life - I don't want to be like her when I'm 75 years old. I decided to go thru with it.

That was 2 months ago today. It hasn't been all sunshine and lollipops, but I can tell you, I don't regret it. I've struggled, but it's OK - I have more good days than bad days. I no longer have pain in my feet or knees. I don't need a nap every day. I'm happy - really happy and content. I don't call myself disgusting any more. I don't look at myself with disdain. I have much more weight to lose, but what I've gained in happiness and self-confidence is so worth it.

Know that you'll go thru the range of emotions the next couple of weeks. It's OK to be scared and nervous - we've all been there.

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!

Well today is the day before surgery, Am I nervous HELL YEA! lol I too am one who deals with Anxiety from time to time even panic attacks, I had a mild one just the other night.....then the reminder, of fighting my insurance, I had 2 sleep studies, as well as all the other Pre-Op prerequisites and think I have come too far I was denied twice, switched insurance, health plans ETC, and I look at my 10 year old son..... and think, I quit smoking for him, ..... I want to see his grandchildren! I am tired of the compliment, such a pretty face..... 2014 is a year of prosperity and blessings! Hold your head up high go though the willingness to suffer for your loved ones! I feel like if something is going to happen its going to happen weather or not im on the surgery table! Pray for Gods comfort and peace as I have and do what your heart says.... Good Luck Sweetie....

Every emotion everyone else has had! I led my husband through the sleeving because I do not want him to die with this dang diabetes that is out of control. Scary, you have no idea. I was diagnosed diabetic last year. I am more scared of diabetes than sleeving. I held my husband's hand through this, our surgeon agreeing that the co-morbidities would kill him quicker than sleeving would. Ten years looking at gastric bypass, and the band. Wasn't for us. I finally qualified for sleeving to with asthma, HBP and diabetes, and am happy that my husband and I can have a quality of life these last years instead of languishing in a nursing home.

You will have a fabulous vacation and LOL food will not be your focus!